• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

So, I may build a custom case...

L0s7_4_Lyf3

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 21, 2005
Messages
86
Right, I may get to build a custom case at my dad's friend's shop in exchange for some web site help. So I'm designing it to look good (brushed aluminum), be roomy (door with lots of clearance from the bays, internal design, etc.), and have damn good airflow (good temps) all at the same time.

The mobo is upside down so it gets good airflow from inline airflow from front fans to the back (ala BTX). (also if the cpu heatsink falls off the hs will fall onto the bottom of the case instead of onto the video card, breaking it :D)

rightwithmbairflow23fn.jpg


That's roughly the design I have right now. It doesn't have the front bezel drawn in though... I have some plans that may give the Lian-li v1100 a run for its money :)

Anyone have any ideas/tweaks to improve thinks a little?

Note: Each 92mm fan upfront is actually dual 92's you can only see 1 at a time, which set of 2 i use will be determined by which 3.5" bay set I decide to use. Yes, I know there are no leads from the PSU to power the components, I'll add those later :p

EDIT: Wrong forum, damnit!
 
i would put some sort of ventilation around that psu or it will get crazy hot. i.e a fan on the bottom of the case, yes i said it, a fan on the bottom, and maybe screw holes into the plate right above the psu allow the cooling it has to work properly.
 
I am in the process of making my own case, desktop-style. The bottom of it was going to be ¼" brushed aluminum, until I found that there are no suppliers in this area, and the closest source has a minimum sale of $93 and some change. So I'm going plexi.
 
joeframbach said:
I am in the process of making my own case, desktop-style. The bottom of it was going to be ¼" brushed aluminum, until I found that there are no suppliers in this area, and the closest source has a minimum sale of $93 and some change. So I'm going plexi.

I'm going plexi too. :)
 
I did a custom case of plexi a few years ago that had a similar design. It was Optical/HDD on the bottom, upside-down motherboard in the center, and power supply on the top. Fan right behind the PSU would pull air from the outside right into the heatsink (Zalman with the large copper fins, BTX style), some would go to the HDD; I drilled some holes at the other side to let some hot air from the HDD escape. The hot air goes up, and out of the case from the topside and top fans.

The logic behind it all was that ambient air temperatures are coolers outside than pulling it in and than letting it reach the heatsink The cooler air pushes the hot air up circulating it upward in your case until it’s pulled out by the top fans. In addition, I believe there is a general consensus that it’s better to have negative airflow than even or positive (more fans pushing out hot air than fans pulling in air). I’m not sure how helpful your PSU fan will be at the bottom of the case, why not just put it on the top to have a more efficient system?
 
Back
Top