So I just hooked up a 2GB 5850 to my laptop...

I have a spare 5870, a Xqpac, and a 520 watt Corsair psu laying around doing nothing. Seems like it would be something to try out.
Only problem is that my current laptop does not have express card. It's not really due for replacement yet, but I might be able to come up with an excuse.

Anyone have any recommendations for an I5 or I7, 17" lappy with an express card slot?

It would be nice if the empty WWAN mini PCIe slot on my laptop was "numbered right" to get x2 lanes working on the adapter.

It would be nice if the empty WWAN mini PCIe slot on my laptop was "numbered right" to get x2 lanes working on the adapter.

That is going on my "things to research when buying a new laptop" list.

This is a very cool device, I can't believe something like this didn't appear sooner!

This would be cool if these companies made it with USB 3.0 specs considering new laptops doesn't have express card slots anymore.

USB 3.0 has too much overhead and CPU utilization, it wouldn't be nearly as efficient as the PCI-E bus. Not to mention PCI-E goes directly to the north bridge or CPU, depending on the architecture, where as USB needs to go through a controller, and/or south bridge, not to mentions drivers and other overhead.

There are already 2D graphics devices which utilize USB 2.0/3.0, but their scope is limited.

A device like this would need to stay on the PCI-E bus or perhaps Thunderbolt at most, imo.

USB 3.0 has too much overhead and CPU utilization, it wouldn't be nearly as efficient as the PCI-E bus. Not to mention PCI-E goes directly to the north bridge or CPU, depending on the architecture, where as USB needs to go through a controller, and/or south bridge, not to mentions drivers and other overhead.

There are already 2D graphics devices which utilize USB 2.0/3.0, but their scope is limited.

A device like this would need to stay on the PCI-E bus or perhaps Thunderbolt at most, imo.

How about E-SATA? This would work wonders over the express card slot.

Wish newer laptop had express card slot but no... No more express card slot.

Some of the new laptops have a second pcie slot that can be utilized rather the an express card slot. The effect is the same.

Is it me or was there ZERO results posted in this thread? I'm digging this up to add results for future searches instead of making a new post. I am copying and pasting what I wrote up on a different forum because I am lazy...

What is an eGPU?

It is an external gpu...

Why?

My laptop is as powerful and capable as my desktop in a nice slim and sexy package. If I could dock it on my desk and use a nice GPU to game, I would no longer have a reason for a desktop. The NVS 4200m wasn't as powerful as I like. I can play Bad Company 2 at the screens 1600x900 res with everything set on low and that wasn't enough for me. I want a nice portable desktop replacement and this just might be it.

What is the Interface?

Expresscard (NOT PCMCIA) or mPCIe slot via mini HDMI to a PCIe x16 slot

What speed is it running at?

1x or you can add mPCIe cards for 2x/4x/8x but these mini HDMI cables aren't that flexible.

What about power?

You need a PSU, then you can either paperclip it on or use the provided switch board.

You sound smart, how did you come with all this?

To be honest? I'm just a genius and it's sad you don't know this about me...

To be more honest. I spent days of reading, googling, and searching...

All the important info and answers, if they exist, can be found here:
http://forum.notebookreview.com/e-gp...ml#post5324240

Notebookreview.com and it's members deserve all credit

I'm just making a thread to waste space on the server and post up my results and experiences

What OS is supported?

Technically, the device can work in XP, vista, W7, and linux (no OSX) However, Nvidia Optimus only supports W7. So It's best to stick to Windows 7. With Optimus using the laptops internal LCD is less complicated as well.

Is @dmin Sexy?

Sexy as hell, next question.

What is supported?

Any PCIe card is supported, but for the easiest setup and best results use Intel Sandybridge or newer chipsets and Nvidia cards work the best. Mostly because the drivers to support the switchable graphics is all there. There is much much much much much (do you get it yet?) much much more info on this at the NBR link above.

What is this magical sorcery device?

PE4H adapter See here: http://www.hwtools.net/adapter/pe4h.html
US Sales here: http://www.harmonicinversion.com/ind...mart&Itemid=28

Is this legit?

No, the device is for development and testing purposes only. Using graphics cards is not supported at all. Don't expect technical support as well.

Is it plug n' play?

Not exactly, It can work. However, I had to use the Setup 1.x software. It's a freedos bootable that changes windows configs to disable or enable things. If you are serious about doing this. You will spend most of your time figuring out how to use this and what you need to change. Generally you will have to turn on the laptop and then set to display stuff on the external monitor only. On restart it will fail but I can hear the laptop reboot again and eventually the windows login is displayed. (I use a docking station and the power button on it to cycle my laptop, w/ LCD closed)

What did you use sexy pants?

I used my trusty Dell Latitude e6420 which has:
i7 2760QM
Nvidia NVS 4200m / Intel HD 3000 Optimus
16gb 1600 DDR3 Corsair
Crucial M4 256gb SSD
PE4H w/ express card adapter
Zotac GTX 470

My shameful desktop:
i7 2600k
AsRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
Zotac GTX 470 / Intel HD 3000
16gb 1866 Mushkin Redline
60gb Mushkin Callisto SSD

Wait, you spent like $1100 on a laptop? Why didn't you buy a gaming laptop?

This latitude is just an awesomely built laptop with zero flex and metal construction. Insane battery life. (with 9 cell, dell 9cell slice, and cd bay battery I can push 22 hours of web/productivity) It's made of metal! 14 inch form factor. I just love it, okay? I have yet to use a "gaming" laptop that hasn't felt like complete plastic garbage that might break if I pick it up from the side with one hand and the LCD is open. If you disagree, fly me to your house and prove it.

CPU's

The 2600k and 2760qm are both very powerful cpu's and will be able to handle the games with out issue. Both are quad cores with the HT and turbo. Everything was run in a basic installation with default bios settings.

http://ark.intel.com/products/52214/...up-to-3_80-GHz
http://ark.intel.com/products/53474/...up-to-3_50-GHz

Basic benchmark: Wprime
32m: 8.268 s
1024m: 244.904 s

2760qm
32m: 9.656 s
1024m: 308.491 s

GPU's

I used to rock two Zotac GTX 470's in my desktop but, I took the second out to test this stuff. These are using their stock clock settings.
Also, the Latitude has a NVS 4200m which is equal to a GT 520m

HD 3000 is the integrated crap.

X3 and 3Dmark11

Benchmark program X3 Terran Rolling Demo
1600x900 NOTE: With HD 3000 enabled Laptop video out didn't work, lower res test
AA: 4x NOTE: HD 3000 only supports 4x
AS :16x
Glow: On
Dynamic Lighting: On
Ship Colors: On
Quality: High

2600k HD 3000 average FPS: 23.256

2760qm HD 3000 average FPS: 23.952

Roughly, exactly the same in this bench.
1920x1200
AA 8x
AS 16x
Dynamic Lighting: On
Ship Colors: On
Quality: High

2600K, GTX 470 average FPS: 98.614

2760qm, GTX 470 average FPS: 84.241

2760qm, NVS 4200m average FPS: 20.225

3DMark11 basic free benchmark mode

2600K, GTX 470: P4717
G 4354
P 8318
C 4613

2760qm, GTX 470: P4082
G 3818
P 7187
C 3620

2760qm, NVS 4200m: P664
G 578
P 7342
C 534

It's definitely noticeably better and I can now dock up my laptop and play games and use my big monitor with ease. This truly makes my laptop a desktop replacement.

Cost?

The device was $135 shipped with the software. So, assuming you have a gpu and a psu (which who doesn't?) it's not that expensive to play around with.

Thoughts

Someone should totally send me a GTX 670 so I can test if the faster card still increases performance while being PCIe bandwidth limited.

I will consider bench suggestions, but it has to be standalone. I'm not going to screen capture/record for average fps.

Thanks for reading!

Q & A

From Deluded: Running games on the Laptops internal LCD and BC2 frame rates

Easy one first, I played a round in Arica Harbor @1920x1200 with everything to it's highest setting and this setup was pulling low 40's through it all. If someone spams a smoke grenade expect jitteryness.

As for Internal LCD playback...
You have to first set the program to use the GTX 470 when it is started via the Nvidia control panel settings. (This took some time to figure out)
I used X3 Demo for a simple bench at the laptops native 1600x900 res with all settings to high.

Internal LCD Avg, FPS: 33.976

External LCD (same res): 90.796

Internal LCD via NVS 4200m: 28.955

Back