• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

so i have about $450

Joined
Jun 4, 2012
Messages
671
So i have about $450 dollars set aside to upgrade my audio. Right now, i am running creative t20's 2, and an asus xonar DG. I like this setup, but i have been getting complaints from family members over loud music/gaming. Typical, right. So i need a good pair of headphones/soundcard or DAC combo.

I only play BF3, and the majority of music i listen to is classical (Tchaikovsky, brahms, etc) , or insomniac daydreaming music.

In an ideal world, i would be able to use these headphones with my iphone 5 or lenovo ideapad yoga when traveling. This is not a deal breaker.

Saving money is always nice, so i don't have to go up to the 450 dollar range if i don't need to.

So, let me express everything in a more compiled list:
-$450 dollars to set me up with a new system, ideally no sound card, rather a dac and amp (IE: Magni Modi Schiit stack)
-These need to be closed ear, and comfy
-EVEN more ideally, but not a deal breaker, i can use them without the need of an AMP or DAC for portable use, like with my iphone or lenovo.
-Does not have to total $450. It can be $350, $475, but try to keep it in check

Looking around, lets use the Beyerdynamic DT-880 pro headphones, 250 Ohm version, as it can be had for about 220 on amazon. Now, these dont have to be the exact headphones, but just as an example.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, if you want these headphones to play well through devices like the iphone 5 and the lenovo, you want to be looking for low impedance headphones (32 ohms or less). Luckily, Beyerdynamic also makes the DT-880 Pro in 32 ohms. Just be sure to double check your selection before ordering. Also, the DT-880 Pro is semi-open, so it won't be completely silent to others around you (if that matters). The Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, however, is a closed back design and also comes in 32 ohm impedance. There is also the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro which comes in 16 ohm impedance, making it even more friendly with mobile devices. Sennheiser has the Momentum (brown or black) that comes in 18 ohm impedance. AKG has the K550 and the K551 (black or white) which come in 32 ohm impedance. I cannot make any recommendations though because I have not heard any of them =/
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Due to your portability and closed needs, I would say get an AT-A900 or the AKG 550.

For upgrading the sound. I would get a Creative Z or ZxR if you want to get better sound. You won't hear a big difference b/w the two. The ZxR is better but let's say 10% at most.

If it was me? I would get some Sennheiser 558 or 598 for home and iems for travel.
 
Grado SR325is paired with a Audinst HUD-mx1. Later you can use the Audinst as a great DAC paired with standalone headphone amp. In the mean time, it's good headphone amp and DAC all in one.

A pair of Grados would be absolutely perfect for what you listen to. I use a pair of Grado RS2i's and I mainly listen to eurotrance/dream trance along with a lot of vinyl (mostly rock and disco era) and they sound amazing. They sound great with any other kind of music as well. Games sound good too!

The Grados and amp would cost about 470ish

You would, however, need to get a 6.35mm to 3.5mm adaptor. They are 32ohms, so they will play nice with iPod, iPhone, etc., however at some point you may want to get a portable amp like the E7 or something.
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, if you want these headphones to play well through devices like the iphone 5 and the lenovo, you want to be looking for low impedance headphones (32 ohms or less). Luckily, Beyerdynamic also makes the DT-880 Pro in 32 ohms. Just be sure to double check your selection before ordering. Also, the DT-880 Pro is semi-open, so it won't be completely silent to others around you (if that matters). The Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro, however, is a closed back design and also comes in 32 ohm impedance. There is also the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro which comes in 16 ohm impedance, making it even more friendly with mobile devices. Sennheiser has the Momentum (brown or black) that comes in 18 ohm impedance. AKG has the K550 and the K551 (black or white) which come in 32 ohm impedance. I cannot make any recommendations though because I have not heard any of them =/

Out of that list, the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro interests me the most. Personally, I would probably give that a shot first. Here are some reviews:

Review #1
Review #2
Review #3
Review #4
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
in my sig.

Mad Dog's w/ Schiit Magni amp....sets you at $400.

Doubtful you'd be able to find a better combo with what you're willing to spend

Can keep the Xonar, it's a decent DAC.

I've gone through a few pairs....HD650's, HE-400's, 900X, the Mad Dog's sound better (amped) and they are the most comfortable cans out of the lot of mid-range headphones by far with the Alpha pads. Unless you are willing to go up to the $1k range for some LCD 2's, I think the Mad Dog's are where it's at.
 
Due to your portability and closed needs, I would say get an AT-A900 or the AKG 550.

For upgrading the sound. I would get a Creative Z or ZxR if you want to get better sound. You won't hear a big difference b/w the two. The ZxR is better but let's say 10% at most.

If it was me? I would get some Sennheiser 558 or 598 for home and iems for travel.

^ That's what I'd do.
 
Due to your portability and closed needs, I would say get an AT-A900 or the AKG 550.

For upgrading the sound. I would get a Creative Z or ZxR if you want to get better sound. You won't hear a big difference b/w the two. The ZxR is better but let's say 10% at most.

If it was me? I would get some Sennheiser 558 or 598 for home and iems for travel.

i think this is what i would go for after looking around. One thing i forgot to mention was that i care about aesthetics a fair amount. I think i will go with the 598's over the rest oif the competition is, removable audio plug (a big plus if you are traveling and you god forbid somehow screw up your cable, you can just buy a new one, or have a spare, rather than fall back on a pair of crappy earbuds. Also, the sennheisers do look pretty sweet. I don't think they are real leather, but it is fine for me.

As far as the amp/dac go, i think the Z is just fine, and at half the price of the ZxR, it is not worth it to pay 200 for that 10% upgrade to me.

If i do not like the combo, amazon has a pretty flexible return policy. :).

Much thanks to all those that recommended stuff, i did look at all of them and considered aesthetics, cost, quality, various reviews, and looked at all applicable links.

Again, much thanks.
 
Yup. Really can't go wrong with that combo. Everything sounds good on it.
 
i think this is what i would go for after looking around. One thing i forgot to mention was that i care about aesthetics a fair amount. I think i will go with the 598's over the rest oif the competition is, removable audio plug (a big plus if you are traveling and you god forbid somehow screw up your cable, you can just buy a new one, or have a spare, rather than fall back on a pair of crappy earbuds. Also, the sennheisers do look pretty sweet. I don't think they are real leather, but it is fine for me.

As far as the amp/dac go, i think the Z is just fine, and at half the price of the ZxR, it is not worth it to pay 200 for that 10% upgrade to me.

If i do not like the combo, amazon has a pretty flexible return policy. :).

Much thanks to all those that recommended stuff, i did look at all of them and considered aesthetics, cost, quality, various reviews, and looked at all applicable links.

Again, much thanks.

The 598s are great headphones but, aesthetics aside, I'm not sure what the logic is here as the 598s are an open back design and have a high(er) impedance of 50 ohms. I would never want an open back design if I'm traveling or out in public. It would disturb the people around me and also let in unwanted ambient noise. For your application I would go with the Momentum if I wanted a Sennheiser sound. They also have replaceable cables but I'm not sure if parts are available yet as I have not seen them on their site. Soon, though, I am going to go on a headphone shopping spree and I'll finally get the chance to compare all these models in my quest to find the perfect pair of headphones for every situation.
 
The majority of time I would be using these would be on an airplane, where I sit in the middle of the plane, and blast audio. When in a car or public, I tend to play my music relatively quietly, on the odd chance I listen to music in public. That said, these would be for airplane or train use, both instances were it is quiet loud. For the open back, I have considered this as a sacrifice I am willing to make. Again, if I do not like them, I will test this on an upcoming flight, I will return them and buy something else, probably the 770's or whatever else I'm think might be good. A small USB amp is always doable for laptop listen.
 
You will want 100% closed ear noise cancelling headphones if you are on a plane. I have tried to use my Grados (open air) while flying in the midsection of a plane and could barely hear them. You will be very unhappy.
 
You will want 100% closed ear noise cancelling headphones if you are on a plane. I have tried to use my Grados (open air) while flying in the midsection of a plane and could barely hear them. You will be very unhappy.

oh, ok. Thank you. i suppose i didn't consider the loss of noise from the cans mixed with entrance of exterior noise. Looks like the dt770 is the winner, despite the lack of removable cable, it is the next best looking thing mixed with good-great reviews across the board from most people, as well as 32 ohms :). Good thing i didn't bother placing the order last night :D

Again, much thanks to all of you who helped a man lost in the world of dozens of headphones, to you, i say thanks.

For those who just scrolled to the end, it looks like the creative z and dt 770 have won for now, unless otherwise noted.
 
I can't really see the DT 770s working well for your stated listening genres. I have a pair of Darth Beyers and I've had decent head time on a stock pair as well and they are still grossly outclassed by anything resembling a flat response for classical.

I think finding a pair of D2000s and either modifying them or having them modified is by far a better option because they will have a much more neutral response and be far more clear.
 
I can't really see the DT 770s working well for your stated listening genres. I have a pair of Darth Beyers and I've had decent head time on a stock pair as well and they are still grossly outclassed by anything resembling a flat response for classical.

I think finding a pair of D2000s and either modifying them or having them modified is by far a better option because they will have a much more neutral response and be far more clear.

I looked at the d2000's, but they are way out of my proposed budget once we add the AMP etc. Also, i know nothing about the world of audio, i am as some would say, blind in that area, i have no business modding a 500 dollar headphone. I only occasionally listen to the classics, like when studying or in need for some intense music. Again, if they dont work out, i can return them.
 
Like I said, low impedance closed back design or noise cancelling as suggested by others. FWIW, I have the Denon D1100s and don't like them as much as I thought I would and even less without EQ. I'm not sure how similar the D2000s are to those. I'm much more of a Sennheiser kind of guy. That said, I'm not sure what the best noise cancelling headphones or if that's the road you want to go down.
 
You really should consider iems for travel. Much smaller and probably the cheapest way to get good sound. Depends on what you prefer but there are a ton of models under $60 that sound amazing for the money.
 
I looked at the d2000's, but they are way out of my proposed budget once we add the AMP etc. Also, i know nothing about the world of audio, i am as some would say, blind in that area, i have no business modding a 500 dollar headphone. I only occasionally listen to the classics, like when studying or in need for some intense music. Again, if they dont work out, i can return them.

D2000s definitely don't require an amp in any way, shape or form. That said, I understand being wearing of modifying headphones but it's a very standard practice and you can buy them that way quite readily or buy them and have someone more experienced do it.
 
Back
Top