So I Got This Computer Loan...

WalkedAirplane

Limp Gawd
I recently began the process of building a credit history for myself, and at the request of my father, who cosigned with me, I got a computer loan rather than a credit card to do so. Additionally, I got a really nice rate on said loan (he has almost perfect credit).

So I now have a $1600 loan, and about $300 additional I can toss towards a purchase of some fun computer stuff.

Cool.

Here are the options I have put together:

1) Rebuild my desktop to something of near-epic proportions.
I'd be able to salvage a 7800GTX, my case, sound card and HDD - the rest could really used a replacement, including my monitor. This would ultimately result in (probably) a 2405FPW and some really nice internal hardware (aside from the 7800, my box is getting somewhat outdated)

2) Tablet PC. This is a pretty cool option, as I do concert photography, and am a college student. The tablet feature would be great for editing photos on the go, and this could potentially be awesome for notes. Additionally, there are the many fringe benefits of a notebook.

My decision issues come up, however, in that I MAY be getting a slightly older free laptop anyways, and that I have in the past, owned 2 notebooks so far, and all have been used 98% of the time at my desk. But with the tablet functionality, I DO imagine the tablet PC getting a bit more use than my old powerbook did.

For some final commentary, my current system is:
P4 2.8
915P-A Motherboard (dont like it much, but it works fine enough right now)
512mb x 2 PC3200
250GB HDD
7800GTX
M-Audio Revolution
About to die Pioneer old DVD-R

Additionally, I already have a buyer for any old hardware I have, enabling a bit more spending on a new system (total to about $2100 or so I'd say, all said and done)

Versus the Tablet PC I'm looking at would run me about $1850 just to purchase it, add the RAM I'd like (1gig) and buy a decent case.

Suggestions? I am not a huge gamer, but I am looking forward to Oblivion.

Back