so i got ripped off (by DiS)...

takethesewords

Limp Gawd
well, despite knowing better and not dealing with people with minimal references in the past, i made the huge mistake of sending $150 for an ipod to user DiS (username Disturbed16 on Anandtech).

I sent a moneygram money order over a month ago. a couple of weeks later after I pm'd him multiple times he said he sold it to someone else local and that he hasn't cashed my money order. i suggested he send me $150 then he can cash the money order once i got it. he apologized and said he would send the money when he gets a chance.

well he never did that. so I told him i cancelled the money order and for him to just send that back to me. i can file for a refund (which will take upwards of 90 days to get) minus a $12 fee. i'm fine with that since being out $12 is a lot better than $150. that was about a week ago, and no response even though he has been online since then.

even though the money order hasn't been cashed (as of earlier this week), i highly doubt i'm going to get my money back. i have his name and address, so i'm wondering, is there any legal action i can take ? i know i'm a jackass for trusting him, but i'm willing to do what it takes to at least inconvienence this guy as much as possible.

any and all advice is appreciated. thanks!

filing for a refund.. takes 90 days!! man that sucks! is this with USPS??? and a $12 fee! wish the best of luck to you.. been ripped off as well in the past learned my lesson though.. on a positive note good thing its $150 only and not upwards of $1,000+ like what happens to ALOT of ppl on blackmark eBay.....

if you know anyone that lives around his area..just tell him you are gonna have a few friendly ppl you knew back when you were in prison stop by and get your money order.. lol....

but seriously if you know anyone in his area ask them to look him up and pick up the money order for you... that $150 can be used for gas and other necessitys...

Is the original money order necessary for you to receive a refund? I know with USPS it only helps cause you can get one on the spot if you have both the stub and the money order. Otherwise you would also need to file forms and I think the USPS process takes 60 days. Good luck.

Well, this is where reading the OP helps. He said he used moneygram and the sale was not from [H]. Thread is gonna get locked soon. :(

yes, the sale was here, but he posted the same thread on anandtech as well.

i posted this thread, though, for mostly one reason - maybe DiS will see it and something will go off in his brain resulting in my money order/cash being mailed back. and if not, hey at least maybe he'll be banned :)

i wonder if i know anyone from minnesota..

thunderstruck! said:
Well, this is where reading the OP helps. He said he used moneygram and the sale was not from [H]. Thread is gonna get locked soon. :(
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
DiS
n00bie

Last Activity: Yesterday 05:25 PM

DIS was online here yesterday ...hopefully he has contacted you....

AndrewCharron said:
Fhew, I almost bought that iPod too. Thank God I didnt have any funds.

twisting the knife just a bit? :p

on the serious side, I hope the OP get's his $ back.

he was on yesterday too, and no, he did not contact me whatsoever. i finally left a negative eval on his heatware...maybe that will help. but probably not. can i contact his local police with name/address and copies of his thread and our private messages ? would they even assist ? i mean, this is theft after all.

thanks for the help !

takethesewords said:
he was on yesterday too, and no, he did not contact me whatsoever. i finally left a negative eval on his heatware...maybe that will help. but probably not. can i contact his local police with name/address and copies of his thread and our private messages ? would they even assist ? i mean, this is theft after all.

thanks for the help !
I dont think you can. He didnt cash the money order, so technically he didnt steal anything from you. Honestly, whats the point of a money order if you need it to cancel the payment in the first place?

AndrewCharron said:
I dont think you can. He didnt cash the money order, so technically he didnt steal anything from you. Honestly, whats the point of a money order if you need it to cancel the payment in the first place?

i sent him payment for goods that he later sold to someone else. if i never receive the goods, then he should never receive the payment. make sense ? moeny orders don't expire, so technically it can be cashed at any time. i need the money order itself in order to get a refund.

takethesewords said:
i sent him payment for goods that he later sold to someone else. if i never receive the goods, then he should never receive the payment. make sense ? moeny orders don't expire, so technically it can be cashed at any time. i need the money order itself in order to get a refund.

My point is until he cashes the money order, he hasnt commited any crime, and at this point you dont really have the evidence that he will in the future. As for my other point, if he needs to return the money order for you to get a refund, whats the point of a money order?

AndrewCharron said:
My point is until he cashes the money order, he hasnt commited any crime, and at this point you dont really have the evidence that he will in the future. As for my other point, if he needs to return the money order for you to get a refund, whats the point of a money order?

A money order is trackable. Cash is not.

A money order can be cashed immediately, whereas, an out of state check can take time to clear.

If he has the money order STUB, he can cancel the money order. Unless, I'm guessing he got some 7-11 money order or something.

sorry about this, i sent you a pm letting you know im sending your money back 2 you today

that postal fraud, you can take action, call the local PD ask for the fraud department.

Depending on thePD some take it serious, others dont. IT wont be the first time i seen cops show up at someones door for ripping peopel off online. it is fraud !

and finally he responds. i'm not holding my breath as I was told weeks ago that it would be in the mail "tomorrow". i will take back all negative comments if my money is received. legal action pending.

Well, if he didn't cash it out. How can you called that scammed or fraud? Since he never got the money

Well, if he didn't cash it out. How can you called that scammed or fraud? Since he never got the money
If you send payment (through the mail) for an item, and never receive the item, and never receive the payment back in refund, it is mail fraud in the United States. Simple as that. If he didn't cash it, but did not send you a refund, he still has your payment.

Unlike a personal check, a money order requires funds be laid down to purchase it. If this was a personal check, the original poster could have just stopped the check, but they still would have been out whatever their bank charges them for that. In the case of money orders/certified checks, money has been paid out; no check can be stopped. It's still a case of "payment sent, but never refunded".

well, DiS finally came through and I received my money order. thanks, fuckface.

in my OP i said that I cancelled the money order...well that was a lie. moneygram won't let you cancel it, but you can file for a refund.

i said I cancelled so DiS wouldn't try to cash it. I asked the folks at moneygram "well if he cashes it while I'm waiting for a refund, then what happens?". their response was basically, "then you're shit out of luck".

so no i didn't need the money order to get a refund as I have the stub, but i didn't want to take the chance.

now I wonder instead of filing for a refund, can I just cash it myself ? i don't know if it's possible or not.

I don't understand why you didn't just keep your cool.

and wait for DiS to give you the money order... instead of filing a whole storm, which now you have to "refund" and what not, while you could have just received your money order, and cashed it in... it's all about trust.

I don't understand why you didn't just keep your cool.

and wait for DiS to give you the money order... instead of filing a whole storm, which now you have to "refund" and what not, while you could have just received your money order, and cashed it in... it's all about trust.

The hell with that. If that dude (DiS) sold the item locally he should have returned the money immediately. If DiS would done so (returned the money immediately) takethesewords would not be posting this complaint at all.

takethesewords - Try to see if you can canx the refund request and just your money order.

I've been ripped off before ($525) and I don't trust anyone.

Back