So I got my Nikon D70

Regime|Life

[H]F Junkie
I got it quite a while ago but I forgot about the [H] (I know, I know, I'm sorry)!

With the camera I got the 50mm f/1.8 and the kit lens which are both really nice, but I am saving up for a telephoto now (I -really- want the 70-200 f/2.8 VR).

So here are some pics:
DSC_0003.JPG

DSC_0004.JPG

DSC_0006.JPG

_DSC0005.jpg

_DSC0011.jpg

_DSC0012.jpg

Really good stuff man. The action shots are a tad blurry but i'm sure you'll get a hang of it.

I really really like that trainyard photo. I'm assuming you used a 12 point filter????

[TQ] said:
Really good stuff man. The action shots are a tad blurry but i'm sure you'll get a hang of it.

I really really like that trainyard photo. I'm assuming you used a 12 point filter????

Yeah they're blurry because it was getting fairly dark and I didn't want to use flash or ISO 1600 so yeah :(

The trainyard photo was done with no filter, in fact, I don't own any filters :)

Regime|Life said:
Yeah they're blurry because it was getting fairly dark and I didn't want to use flash or ISO 1600 so yeah :(

The trainyard photo was done with no filter, in fact, I don't own any filters :)

Dont be scared to use ISO 1600, a noisy image is always better hten a blurry one ;)

I brought up the filter because of the lights, i'm suprised you got that effect with no filter.

Yeah, the stars are crazy. But looking at the specs of your lens it kinda makes sense. Your Nikon 50mm f/1.8 has 7 Apeture Diaphram blades to control light. Usually I think there are like 2x the star points than there are diaphram blades if there are an odd number of blades, while if you have an even number of blades that is how many stars you get. That you get 28 stars (7x4) is pretty neat since I never get that with my lenses -- all (two) of my lenses have an even number of apeture diaphram blades, so I don't get nearly as many pointy stars. I guess I have to miss out on the starry effect unless I go and buy/make a filter...

I like the Lake & Ship pictures. I don't see a lot of that in my area now, so it's pretty neat to see something so big. I used to see ships a lot in Japan, but now I miss them. The foreground bushes really trick you when you try to compare the scale of it to the ship. I like it :)

Tim_axe said:
That you get 28 stars (7x4) is pretty neat since I never get that with my lenses -- all (two) of my lenses have an even number of apeture diaphram blades, so I don't get nearly as many pointy stars...
The rays are definitely grouped into fourteen groups of two. I wonder what that implies about the geometry of the iris. Definitely a 7-leaf design. I've never seen anything quite like that, though.

Anyway, great shots, Regime|Life! I particularly like the landscapes and night scenes.

Tim_axe said:
Yeah, the stars are crazy. But looking at the specs of your lens it kinda makes sense. Your Nikon 50mm f/1.8 has 7 Apeture Diaphram blades to control light. Usually I think there are like 2x the star points than there are diaphram blades if there are an odd number of blades, while if you have an even number of blades that is how many stars you get. That you get 28 stars (7x4) is pretty neat since I never get that with my lenses -- all (two) of my lenses have an even number of apeture diaphram blades, so I don't get nearly as many pointy stars. I guess I have to miss out on the starry effect unless I go and buy/make a filter...

I like the Lake & Ship pictures. I don't see a lot of that in my area now, so it's pretty neat to see something so big. I used to see ships a lot in Japan, but now I miss them. The foreground bushes really trick you when you try to compare the scale of it to the ship. I like it :)

The train yard shot was actually shot with my 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 but it also has a seven blade rounded diaphragm. I'm was thinking that shot wouldn't come out very well at first but it really did so that was nice.

I wonder if its something to do with the shape of hte light heads ???

I've just never seen such brilliant, sharp, stars from lights without the use of a filter.

Wow, I can honestly say that the pics of the ship and the trainyard have to be some of the best shots I've seen in a while. The detail is just amazing. The reflection of the city on the side of the ship is awesome. Excellent job!

Nice pics. The D70 is great, is it not?

As for the strange flare, do you have a UV/Skylight filter on that lens? Probably the culprit

[TQ] said:
I wonder if its something to do with the shape of hte light heads ???

I've just never seen such brilliant, sharp, stars from lights without the use of a filter.

That's strictly dependant upon the lens "groups" within the lens itself. It may also do with the faceting of the light housing as well.

My Sigma 17-35 F/2.8 always produces a 8 or 12 point star, depending on exposure time.

My old Sony F717 always produces 6-point stars, regardless of exposure time.

PS-RagE said:
Nice pics. The D70 is great, is it not?

As for the strange flare, do you have a UV/Skylight filter on that lens? Probably the culprit

Like I said before, didn't use any filters hehe.

royjr said:
That's strictly dependant upon the lens "groups" within the lens itself. It may also do with the faceting of the light housing as well.

My Sigma 17-35 F/2.8 always produces a 8 or 12 point star, depending on exposure time.

My old Sony F717 always produces 6-point stars, regardless of exposure time.
Err... which part are you saying is dependent on the element grouping? The number of rays in the flare has nothing to do with the grouping, as far as I know, though the clarity of the rays may.

Since the Sigma has eight blades, I wonder what would cause it to produce twelve rays, given that 8 doesn't even divide 12. Do you have any shots handy that show this? I also wonder why exposure time would be a factor.

Just for fun, here's a shot from the Sigma 50mm I use that shows the result of a 7-blade diaphragm. (It's a crop plus some contrast enhancement from this photo.)

DSCF7849_foellinger_lit_cro.jpg

HorsePunchKid said:
Err... which part are you saying is dependent on the element grouping? The number of rays in the flare has nothing to do with the grouping, as far as I know, though the clarity of the rays may.

Since the Sigma has eight blades, I wonder what would cause it to produce twelve rays, given that 8 doesn't even divide 12. Do you have any shots handy that show this? I also wonder why exposure time would be a factor.

After a little research, I stand corrected about the Sigma also producing 12-point "stars". I mistakenly thought that in one pic, but it was just 2 lights very close together in a long-exposure shot.

Looking at my Xmas pics, I DID find that the 50mm f/1.8 produces some cool 10-point stars, though. lol

HorsePunchKid said:
Just for fun, here's a shot from the Sigma 50mm I use that shows the result of a 7-blade diaphragm. (It's a crop plus some contrast enhancement from this photo.)
those lights look like total ass.

Back