So I finally finished Deus Ex.

Last edited:
I played HR and i have a cd copy of Invisible War so i might as well play that. Is it worth going back to the original too?

I would play the original before I played IW. IW was a major letdown compared to the original IMO.

I would play the original before I played IW. IW was a major letdown compared to the original IMO.

Or you could play them in reverse and save the best for last. :D

But I agree with playing the original first, if only because I'm already seeing references to events from the first game in IW and I hear it ties in with Deus Ex more as the game progresses so it'd be nice to have experienced the back story if you haven't played the first game yet.

I've gotta say, Invisible War isn't bad; in fact I'm kind of disappointed that I'm just now playing it 10 years after it was released. Is it as epic as the first game? No, but it's pretty good. Maybe it would have garnered less criticism if it was titled something else and didn't bear the Deus Ex name. I have to say the most annoying thing about the game to me is the fact that it cuts to the desktop every time you load a level. WTF, grr!! What were they thinking? Talk about breaking the immersion. I can't think of many (any?) other games that do this.

This game was phenomenal.

I know, right? To me, DX:HR seemed to borrow a lot from Vampire: The Masquerade. I actually played through it completely and I loved the game as a whole. I loved the humor, which you don't see often enough.

"I'm going somewhere so remote, no one will ever find or recognize me!"
"Good luck in Canada."

Or, a flier you see in a fax machine:

"Sofa King. We're Sofa King great!"

Sweet. Never would consider doing that myself as i can't help but find every item I can. Deus Ex made me the hoarder i am today when it comes to video games.

Yeah, that's cool to see but if you do that you're going to miss sooo much of the game's content. The conversations, the DataCubes, hidden items and locations, etc. Deus Ex is definitely a game to take your time with and not rush through, IMO.

Deus Ex won't run for me. I get a general protection fault. Steam version of dx, windows 8, most recent nvidia drivers...

Old Unreal engine 1 games have a hard time running properly in anything newer than XP, but there are tons of user-patches that not only get them running propperpy, but enhance the graphics as well. but I havn't heard of them not working at all...

Old Unreal engine 1 games have a hard time running properly in anything newer than XP, but there are tons of user-patches that not only get them running propperpy, but enhance the graphics as well. but I havn't heard of them not working at all...

The Steam version worked perfect in 7. I think I had it running in 8 too. IDK what is going on.

IW can be a bit of a pain to get working. Steam community helped me get it running properly on Win7 and there's a texture mod that makes it look slightly better.

Good info here for the first Deus Ex: http://www.kentie.net/article/dxguide/index.htm

After reading this thread, I guess I'll have to try Deus Ex again even though I couldn't get into it when I tried it a couple of years back because of the graphics. Yes, even with the texture mods. Loved Human Revolution though. My fave game from 2011.

It would be truly sad to miss out on Deus Ex, System Shock 2, or Thief because you can't get past the graphics. I guess we who were avid PC gamers when those games came out can more easily look past that. In some way the graphics hold a certain charm for me but even though I admit to being bitten by the nostalgia bug, I'm of the belief that if a game is truly worth playing, graphics can be overlooked far more easily than a Michael Bay storyline or shoddy gameplay.

I gave up on IW when I got to a certain point and realized that there were only a handful of aug slots and options, compared to DX's dozen or so, and I figured "well I'm about as upgraded right now as I will ever be in the game, huh" Perhaps I didn't give the game enough time to flesh out its customization options, but the mild enjoyment I had been having up till that point wasn't enough to push me over that disappointment. Maybe I should give it another shot sometime.

Back