So I cant access the file on a floppy disk that worked this morning.

INFERNO2K

Limp Gawd
Hello.

I have a project on floppy disk that worked this morning at a school computer. I saved a backup to that disk and came home to my machine. Upon trying to copy or run the file I get a "Cyclic Redundancy Check" error. I have tried this floppy on two home computers and both recieve the same error (both Windows XP)

I am outragged because my final project is on this disk. Is there anything I can do?

Learn to use reliable media.

NEVER put your only copy of something important on a floppy.

Heh, its an only option when your webspace has been disabled for excessive bandwidth and the computers at school dont have burners in them.

Have you tried it again on the school computer? Believe it or not...I had 2 FDD's at home go bad at the same time. It kept giving me read/write errors. I took one apart and cleaned all the dust out and it worked again. It may be worth a shot. Otherwise the disk may be the culprit.

The heads on frequently used floppy drives can go out of alignment. This causes the drive to place data on the disk in non-standard locations. When this happens only the drive that originaly wrote the data will be able to read it. Being a tech for 7 years now I have seen it happen at least 50 times. There is nothing you can do to fix this other than read it on the drive that originally wrote it. You'll have to transfer the file to yourself by some other means.

Floppies are not a reliable storage medium. If you are forced to use them, write at least 3 copies of every disk. Make more if the file is really important.

Guys I played around for an hour tonight and I recovered the file by using a program called BadCopy Pro. It recovered the program I had on the disk.

Thanks for your help anyhow.

Back