So i am a networking n00b, i need your opinions and help

jtobrien

Limp Gawd
Ok, i dont really know anything much about networking except how to do certain stuff on my D-link wifi router, anyways here goes:

1. is it hard to wire your home with ethernet cabling? (like i mean have it so you can plug into an ethernet jack in your wall and be connected), and how much might it cost?

2. Is it hard to make your own custom cables with like the crimping and stuff? and for the crimpers, how much would buy me a good one?

3. whats the minimum upload i should have if i want to host a game server?

and finally:

4. If i dont have a static IP, am i less vulnerable to getting hacked and stuff?

TIA :)

Hello jtobrien,

I'll try to start you out.

1 & 2. "Hard" is a rather relative term, some people pickup some skills quickly, others don't. But I would call making your own cables very "doable" with a little practice and reading. I believe there are some helpful links as to how to make cables in one of the sticky FAQs in the networking section. Wiring your home with ethernet jacks can be a little more difficult than just making cables, as usually it involves cutting a hole in the wall and making cable drops, much as you would do when adding a telephone jack or light switch. So it depends on how detailed of a project you want to do.

Based on local Fry's prices (I'm sure others will chime in with cheaper links), you can expect to pay $35 for your basic crimper, $7 for a package of 50 RJ45 connectors, and $50 for a spool of 1000' cat5 cable. Average cost of each wall jack assembly is around $5-$10. Of course, network cards and switches will be extra if needed.

3. Depends on the game, how many players you are planning to host, and how much latency you are willing to tolerate.

4. A dynamic IP does not make you any less vulnerable to attacks that a static one. It may make you less traceable of a target for the SAME attackers, but not attackers in general.

jtobrien said:
Ok, i dont really know anything much about networking except how to do certain stuff on my D-link wifi router, anyways here goes:

1. is it hard to wire your home with ethernet cabling? (like i mean have it so you can plug into an ethernet jack in your wall and be connected), and how much might it cost?

Hard? Not if you have experience doing it. First thing I'd do is pull all the cable with one run being 10ft longer on each side. Practice with that. Practice makes perfect.

2. Is it hard to make your own custom cables with like the crimping and stuff? and for the crimpers, how much would buy me a good one?

Like said above.. practice makes perfect. After I crimped above 40 custom cables I got it down to a science.

3. whats the minimum upload i should have if i want to host a game server?

T1 at a minimum. On some games you may even need more bandwidth than that. In older games (Quake/QW/Q2/Q3) you could easily get away with a high-end DSL/Cable connection. A lot of these newer games are very bandwidth intensive though.

4. If i dont have a static IP, am i less vulnerable to getting hacked and stuff?

No. Doesn't matter if you have static or dynamic. Some hackers will flood entire classes of IPs with the same attack to nail the person they're looking for. There are easy ways to track down users with dynamic IPs.

Back