So hows the dell 24" monitor?

zidion

Limp Gawd
I know a lot of people probually got it w/the like $800 deal or whtaever, and wanted to know it was worth it or not.

I really want to get it, but its still a lot of money :( Kinda of torn between this and the 20"

zidion said:
I know a lot of people probually got it w/the like $800 deal or whtaever, and wanted to know it was worth it or not.

I really want to get it, but its still a lot of money :( Kinda of torn between this and the 20"

No doubt one of the best purchases I have made thus far in my young life. I use it as an HDTV and Monitor.

It's excellent, Very few problems across the board! Dead pixels are a rarity and back light leakage is pretty much non-existent. Some people report having difficulty with the component ports but I've had no trouble. Check out http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=867944 for many MANY opinions.

It sux! ;) Actually, I love it, and I also have 2001fp. It hit my pocket hard but hey, I might even sell 2001fp and I'll be fine again :D

elder_shawn said:
No doubt one of the best purchases I have made thus far in my young life. I use it as an HDTV and Monitor.

Elder, what do you use for a tuner?

I like it, but it has some backlight bleeding in the upper left which is starting to bug me esp since this monitor simply screams "WATCH DVDS WITH ME!"

yup! I plan on getting mine this summer some time. Looks awesome, and the picture quality is phenominal!

I am extremely pleased with this monitor. This was the first LCD that I ever considered because of the refresh rate problems of LCD’s in the past. This is a first rate, top of the line monitor that will play DVD’s the way is was supposed to be shown. Picture quality, sharpness and color are all there. You just have to get used to the huge wide screen to read from some sites on the internet if the sentences go from one side of the screen to the other. For those that are into HDTV, you will see features in a face that you could not see before even on a smaller screen because the native aspect ratio of 1900X1080i for HD movies. For those of you that are into movies, I would not even consider another monitor. I have had a 9700 Pro running it but have had to move to a 6800 to view HD without motion problems.

Rembrandt said:
... You just have to get used to the huge wide screen to read from some sites on the internet if the sentences go from one side of the screen to the other. ...

Not necessarily, there's always the portrait mode ;)

It's just awesome. I couldn't be more pleased to get this display for $930 including tax.

caracaovazio said:
how can a 24" monitor cost only $800, something smells funny?!?

Back in year 2001, I bought a 17" Samsung 770T for $1700, how can they be only <$250 now? In the fall of 2002, I bought a 19" Samsung 191T LCD, they cost $1200, how can they be <$350 now? Oh wait, I bought 5 of those, and I am still under warranty.

Those (2405) monitors don't cost $800 for you at least. For those of us that bought them at a discount, we are enjoying it now regardless.

I've owned a 2000FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, and now this 2405FPW. They were all nice monitors. None of them are perfect.

This is the nicest one so far and well worth the $.

Riptide_NVN said:
I've owned a 2000FP, 2001FP, 2005FPW, and now this 2405FPW. They were all nice monitors. None of them are perfect.

This is the nicest one so far and well worth the $.
Hi, Riptide. Good to hear that when this is the only one I bought. I held off on the 2005 when the initial 2405 rumours kicked in around December. Thankfully, Dell came through pretty promptly, faster than I really expected them to, and I am now enjoying this bad boy. I sure like to hear it getting such a warm reception from everyone here. BTW, how'd that one-dead-pixel problem turn out? It's was like someone getting accused on TV. They'll repeat the charges a zillion times, but the acquittal is only around for a day or two.

The replacement has no dead pixels so far. So looks like I might've gotten lucky there. The replacement does have a small amount of backlight bleed in the upper left corner. Not very bad though, certainly nothing like the 2005FPW.

The monitor looks quite good overall, but there are a few things that annoy me.

There is a 2-3 frame delay between input and display. I put my monitor in clone mode with a my previous monitor, a CRT, and when playing games, the CRT displayed the image first. There is also some blur, of course. If you use your monitor mostly for gaming, I'd recommend a CRT. I used a DVI connection for the test.

The delay is much worse for composite input. I tried playing my Gamecube on the LCD, but there was such a long delay in the image that the game(Tony Hawk) was unplayable.

Dark colors shimmer a little. (dark colors are darker and have less contrast in the middle of the screen than on the sides)

I have one red sub-pixel stuck at about 31% brightness. It is less than an inch from the right edge of the screen. There is another red subpixel that only shows up when several of the red subpixels directy below it are also on.... I almost never see it.

If I turn the panel off, the USB ports on the monitor stop working.

All that being said, it is a much, much better display than the 17" samsung TN panel I tried. It is great for DVDs, when used with a good decoder (NVidia's is nice).

LOL hilarious. As soon as I make a post about how mine doesn't have any dead pixels at all... I found a pixel stuck green on dark backgrounds. On white it doesn't show at all though and it's 1" up from the bottom around the center. No big deal but it is there..

Love mine. If you view an image of the 20" resolution(1680x1050?) on the 24" you'll laugh how much more space you have with this one. Furthermore mine is pixelperfect, was a bit worried when I unpacked it and put it on but it was just some dust :p. I use my screen for everything, mainly design and games but also coding and once in a while a movie. Everything looks perfect on it although watching divx now makes it very blocky. If you have a choice between those two don't hesitate and get the 24"!

Excellent Monitor. I went from 2 20" Dell down to this one 24" just to get desktop space back.

No dead pixels, fast response rates, and gaming in widescreen is awesome! No backlight issues, and the multiple inputs works as advertised for me (I played GT4 in 1080i looks ok).

The only negative I can say is that the vertical viewing angle isn't as good as my old 2001. Not that I'm in a bad position when watching movies, but if I walk around my room - at some angles (they're pretty extreme at >60 degrees) the color washes out. I'm not complaining though, since it's not a big deal and everything else makes up for it.

Oh, and yah, the USB hub shuts down if you turn off the monitor - probably because it's powered. But why would you care - No mononitor = no computer -> no USB anyway?

Back