So how secure is free wireless Internet at restaurants?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
So how secure is free wireless Internet at restaurants? I go to Panera Bread quite often and they offer free Wi-Fi. But, even with Windows Firewall, Symantec NAV 2005, SpySweeper, and no sharing, I'm still afraid my data is in jeopardy of being compromised. What's the best way to protect yourself at places like these?

Should I just do a REMOTE DESKTOP connection to my workplace and use the web browser in Remote Desktop?

Thanks!

I think the basic web browsing is okay, but I still don't trust any wireless network for banking or buying of stuff online, I always use wired for that stuff.

i would suggesting use a vpn tunnel back to a local secure connection, watchguard product has a great mobile user client (firebox x5 edge comes with 1 muvpn lisence)

im sure there are more out there

i use a tunnel whenever i'm using public wifi-- school, restaurants, coffee shops, etc.. i just run to my VPN over PPTP + 128 bit encryption...

the firewall i use (that also doubles as a VPN server) is available at http://m0n0.ch/wall the m0n0wall is BSD based and is extremely feature rich and can be deployed on embedded devices. mucho mucho neato :D

Back