So how does everyone handle printers in AD?

XOR != OR

[H]F Junkie
I've never really done a large scale printer deployment before, and I'm wondering how everyone is doing theirs. Here's what I'm doing;

- Loopback GPOs are being used to ensure printers are associated with computers rather than users. I would prefer to apply the GPO directly to the user ( and get rid of the loopback setting ), but I have a non-trivial amount of users that roam between physical locations, changing their default printer requirements.

- Printers are installed and configured on server, users connect to server to print. This is accomplished with a .vbs logon script, unique to the GPO, which installs the necessary printers and sets one as default.

This works, except I do not like using loopback if I can avoid it. However, I do need printers associated with workstations and no users. And I do need printers on the server instead of installed locally ( for administration reasons ). Trying to get around the loopback problem got me wondering; how is everyone else handling printers?

My printers are associated with users. I use group policy client side extensions with my xp clients to use the built in GP assignment capability.

We use loopbacks to ensure that computers print to the correct printer in their room / area. Why are you trying to get rid of loopback? It exists for exactly this type of scenario.

We use loopbacks to ensure that computers print to the correct printer in their room / area. Why are you trying to get rid of loopback? It exists for exactly this type of scenario.
It's probably a unique problem for my environment. My users are in a separate OU from my workstations and can not be organized beyond being in the specific OU ( no sub OUs ).

My workstations, on the other hand, can be organized in a more granular fashion. My issue with loopback is the same as with security filtering. I'll do it if I have to, but I'd prefer there to be a cleaner way.

I have a client that we (my company) had to setup with workstation based printer mapping instead of my standard (and preferred) user based. I don't like doing it that way but it was a must in this situation. Haven't had any problems with it but not having the OU situation you are.
Sounds like it's something you can live with... I find it rare that I can setup a network in the best way possible due to cost, legacy apps, legacy hardware, etc. If it's functional and solid then :)

I have a client that we (my company) had to setup with workstation based printer mapping instead of my standard (and preferred) user based. I don't like doing it that way but it was a must in this situation. Haven't had any problems with it but not having the OU situation you are.
Sounds like it's something you can live with... I find it rare that I can setup a network in the best way possible due to cost, legacy apps, legacy hardware, etc. If it's functional and solid then :)
Ya. What's important is that at the end of the day they can get their work done.

I just don't like giving myself any more future headaches than I know are already coming.

Back