So, help a noob out with raid-0

MrEd

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 15, 2006
Messages
72
K, so who's got the time to hold my hand a sec :D Raid setups have had me curious for awhile, so for my latest build I bought 2 150 Raptors to play with a raid-0 setup. I'm using a Striker MB if that matters. I followed the MB book which was all cake, but it leaves you with an option to "set boot" when looking at the new array before you hit ctrl-x. Do I select this if I'm planning on loading the OS on the new array..?

TIA, Ed.
 
MrEd said:
K, so who's got the time to hold my hand a sec :D Raid setups have had me curious for awhile, so for my latest build I bought 2 150 Raptors to play with a raid-0 setup. I'm using a Striker MB if that matters. I followed the MB book which was all cake, but it leaves you with an option to "set boot" when looking at the new array before you hit ctrl-x. Do I select this if I'm planning on loading the OS on the new array..?

TIA, Ed.
No option to boot from Raid? You need to do this in the BIOS.

Also, don't double sig, rule #25 ;)
 
protias said:
Also, don't double sig, rule #25 ;)

heh.....oops :p

I think that is the option, I'm in the bios still after making the array when at the end of the process it gives me the option to set boot, yes or no, on the new array, just not sure what that means really. You guys might have to hold "both" of my hands :D
 
Wooot, well I stumbled thru it, sure was buggy though. I added a 500GB internal sata drive and a 500GB external sata drive just for the hell of it while I was at it. Is there any particular backup software that's recomended, I've never backed up my drives but I might as well get that going too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, Happy New Year everyone !!!
 
MrEd said:
Wooot, well I stumbled thru it, sure was buggy though. I added a 500GB internal sata drive and a 500GB external sata drive just for the hell of it while I was at it. Is there any particular backup software that's recomended, I've never backed up my drives but I might as well get that going too. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way, Happy New Year everyone !!!
What exact mobo model do you have and where was it in the BIOS?

Backing stuff up on DVDs is fine. Just make sure you test them after you burn to make sure it is good.
 
Heya Protias

I have the Asus Striker for this build. It was at the end of the F10 comand where the array is created and stuff where the option was to set boot. The real buggy part was trying to load the drivers after hitting F6. After I hit "S" to "Specify Additional Devices", instead of getting the screen for selecting the SCSI adapters, I would get an error message saying "file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisc.c.". Since it was pointing at the disc, I cleaned it but no dice. I tried 3 more copies but still no go, so I wasn't buying it was an issue with the windows OS disc. Recopied the drivers on the floppy, no go. Tried a new floppy, nada, Then out of nowhere, going thru the loop over and over looking for what might be wrong, bam, I didn't get the error message and it went to the SCSI adapter selection screen /shrug. Everything else went flawless from that point, bugs me not knowing what was wrong though :)
 
MrEd said:
Heya Protias

I have the Asus Striker for this build. It was at the end of the F10 comand where the array is created and stuff where the option was to set boot. The real buggy part was trying to load the drivers after hitting F6. After I hit "S" to "Specify Additional Devices", instead of getting the screen for selecting the SCSI adapters, I would get an error message saying "file txtsetup.oem caused an unexpected error (1024) at line 1747 in d:\xpsprtm\base\boot\setup\oemdisc.c.". Since it was pointing at the disc, I cleaned it but no dice. I tried 3 more copies but still no go, so I wasn't buying it was an issue with the windows OS disc. Recopied the drivers on the floppy, no go. Tried a new floppy, nada, Then out of nowhere, going thru the loop over and over looking for what might be wrong, bam, I didn't get the error message and it went to the SCSI adapter selection screen /shrug. Everything else went flawless from that point, bugs me not knowing what was wrong though :)
I hate when something works after you've been doing the same thing over and over again...well, I don't really hate that, but it bugs me to not know why something finally worked. Glad to see you got it working.
 
To quote Einstein: "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.”

This was obviously before computers :p Glad you got things going, and make sure to keep good backups if your data is important to you.
 
Acronis True Image is a good backup program.

I had to revive this temporarily to tell Tuskenraider publicly, friend, soon after you posted this I went out and bought a copy, today it just saved my ass is such a big way I can't even explain it. All my pictures, music, video files, word documents, e-mails, and the list goes on, a ton more. Can't thank you enough for throwing that out there in this thread. This is what started a spiraling turn of events that left me not even able to get into windows. I can only hope your hearing it like I'm trying to say it......"THANKS"
 
I just read this thread and wondered what you did end up doing with the "set boot - Yes/No"" part in the RAID configuration. I set mine to "BOOT" and it all worked great.

Then I noticed my 500Gb sata drive had a xxxx.bak file on it. I think this may have been where I was messing around earlier on. I noticed in Windows (Vista) that the 500Gb drive was being classed as a system drive and my RAID 0 array was the Boot drive etc.

So, I thought why have I got a 500Gb drive with nothing on it apart from a tiny BAK file and its being class as a SYSTEM drive????? So, I removed the 500Gb drive in Device Manager and rebooted the pc. All I get now is a boot failure upon passing the BIOS.

The RAID array is perfectly fine so I dont know why this has happened.

Can anyone elighten me on this please.

Cheers
 
No idea what I did to make it do this but I have sorted it now.

First I removed all SATA cables to the drives which were not going to be in RAID0.

Then after booting up I deleted the original RAID array, rebooted once again and created a new one, then just did exactly what I did before which was install Vista 64. This time everything worked absolutely fine.

After this I added the 4 other storage drives and hey presto.....job done succesfully.

Chris
 
Back
Top