So.. Full frame then

Renting 14-24 will run you about $100/week. It's actually not a bad deal, IMO. I've paid more for a lot less, lol. If you need references to BorrowLenses, let me know. It's a pretty good service that I've used before.

24-70 is fine for general purpouse, but I wouldn't pay $2k for it. Dunno, I remember paying $1400 for it back in a day, and that price seemed fine to me, so my opinion is biased. As for the optics... it's still the best mid-range zoom from Nikon. Better than 50's, not as good as 35/85 ;)

Just ordered the D800 body... Waiting to order the lens I'm going to grab until I get paid for my other lens.. just because I looked at the total for the D800 and was like.. ugh damn that's a lot of money.

Lol. Congrats! There's no going back for you. Enjoy the new toy ;)

Thanks...

I'm getting 450$ for my 18-200... that I paid 350 for last year :D

I'm thinking the 85mm 1.8G + possibly the 35mm sigma 1.4 (everything I've read says it is amazing).

Then I will probably rent the 14-24 or buy the 16-35 for the trip to the tetons..

Anyone have experience buying Nikon lenses refurbished? I know Nikon sells the 14-24 refurbished for 1750 on their store.. but they charge tax :/

1750 + tax (and probably shipping)... not worth it. For about $50 you can have a new lens (assuming Amazon or B&H doesn't charge you for tax that is :D).

As for the N85/S35 plan... it sounds good. Wish you all the best, and I'm looking forward to your teton pics :D

Just ordered the D800 body... Waiting to order the lens I'm going to grab until I get paid for my other lens.. just because I looked at the total for the D800 and was like.. ugh damn that's a lot of money.

Congrats! Enjoy the heck out it! Have a good trip.

I THINK I DID THE IMPOSSIBLE!.

i got amazon to price match and eat the value of a 63$ battery.

all in all the body was 2799 plus tax (ugh Texas 8.5%). i got a free amazon basics bag and 60" tripod. meh for that. but got a free 32gb extreme sandisk sdhc class 10 card and an extra enel15 battery.

plus 2% back on the body plus 3% back overall from my amazon visa. ..not too shabby

I THINK I DID THE IMPOSSIBLE!.

i got amazon to price match and eat the value of a 63$ battery.

all in all the body was 2799 plus tax (ugh Texas 8.5%). i got a free amazon basics bag and 60" tripod. meh for that. but got a free 32gb extreme sandisk sdhc class 10 card and an extra enel15 battery.

plus 2% back on the body plus 3% back overall from my amazon visa. ..not too shabby

Very nice! Now you're going to have to upgrade your computer to work through all those RAW files! Congrats on the new camera and the deal you got! I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures!

Congrats!

You have absolutely no idea what this thread is doing to me. I have the incredible impulsive urge to just say "screw it!" and order a damn D600

~.~

Congrats!

You have absolutely no idea what this thread is doing to me. I have the incredible impulsive urge to just say "screw it!" and order a damn D600

~.~
you-knooooow-you-waaaant-dooo-it-XL.jpg

:p

I want to sooooooo bad, and I might.

How much can I get for a D7000/Tokina 11-16?

*realizes I am following in OP's footsteps*

I want to sooooooo bad, and I might.
And you should. I mean... don't you feel a little empty without it? :p

Besides, your work is some of the best i've seen on these boards, and you are very inspirational. Go full frame already. I'm wondering what you'll be able to sqeeze out of it. :cool:

Thanks! Coming from you, thats a statement!

I've wondered this myself for a while now and constantly wonder "what if?". Is a full frame really worth it. Comparing the D7000/D600... aside from the sensor only, the cameras are essentially identical. Except for a few tiny details, the cameras are essentially the same size with the same functionality. Is the difference in sensors that drastic, and is it worth the large price difference - its a rather tough thing to justify.

If only stores allowed a take-home trial period...

I've already racked up a set of primes sufficient for FX use (28 1.8G, 50 1.8D & 85 1.8G), so I'm okay on that front. But my beloved ultrawide will have to go (for a 16-35... it's on the radar)

I do feel empty without it, i might just end my misery and get it regardless :p

At least you're not shooting a Canon crop- I wouldn't wish one of those on any photographer :).

And I agree, I love seeing your shots when they pop up in my Flikr feed!

And I agree, I love seeing your shots when they pop up in my Flikr feed!

I agree, its always nice when new photos from you pop up on my Flikr stream. Im pretty new to photography and only do it as a hobbie but its nice to have someone like you to draw insperation from. I really enjoyed the pics you had from the F1 race. I would like to go see one once but being in the US makes that difficult since they dont race in the US anymore.

Picking up an 85 1.8G from bestbuy today.. Camera comes tomorrow and B&H is notoriously slow, plus best buy had it locally and is the only other store that's reputable (OK, they're not but it's the same price and I can play with it today on my D90 and tomorrow on the bad boy).

And Empty... you know you want one.. but I'd probably honestly save up and justify getting the D800.. Do what I'm doing... sell some old shit you aren't using or things you know you don't want anymore and fund things that you will definitely use.

I'm selling some extra 9mm ammo I got for free (guy was using it as part of a purchase for a guitar I'm selling.. then backed out after strinigng me along.. as per contract I got to keep the ammo).. Will put the proceeds from that guitar to it. (Again, got a sick deal on that but ended up not having time to play it..then when I had the time completely lost the urge to pickup playing again.. Probably pull 250$ more than I paid out of the guitar too).

Got the 18-200 VR 1 last year for 325-340ish. Just sold it this morning for 475$ shipped.

I always look at it like this... If I make smart purchases that I use.. I'm OK with it as long as my overall finances are good to go.

Damn you all...

Damn the salesman too...

I guess I'll find out myself if Full Frame is that worthy :D

DaAH9cC.jpg

Thanks all for the kind words, and the little nudge I needed to fall off the cliff. I'll be playing with this new toy this weekend.

If anyone is interested. D7000 + Tokina 11-16 for sale.

I agree, its always nice when new photos from you pop up on my Flikr stream. Im pretty new to photography and only do it as a hobbie but its nice to have someone like you to draw insperation from. I really enjoyed the pics you had from the F1 race. I would like to go see one once but being in the US makes that difficult since they dont race in the US anymore.

Thanks! And F1 is back in the US! I was at USGP last year (not going this year, especially after this impulsive buy ~.~), and another GP will start next year in NJ. You can still hit up the one in texas this november :)

And Empty... you know you want one.. but I'd probably honestly save up and justify getting the D800.. Do what I'm doing... sell some old shit you aren't using or things you know you don't want anymore and fund things that you will definitely use.

I could never justify the D800 from a feature/price standpoint when the D600 does literally everything I need it to. The D800 is damn sweet for sure, but I simply could not get myself to spend the extra $1000

I'd be up for some free .45 anytime... Can't even pay to get that stuff :(

I'm going to start reloading probably this fall/winter.. Might get my class 7 FFL and manufacture.. I could probably make a few extra bucks selling ammo to [H] guys at the least.

Damn you all...
I could never justify the D800 from a feature/price standpoint when the D600 does literally everything I need it to. The D800 is damn sweet for sure, but I simply could not get myself to spend the extra $1000

It was only $800 :p. Plus the extras I got with the D800 made it even closer.

I'm going to start reloading probably this fall/winter.. Might get my class 7 FFL and manufacture.. I could probably make a few extra bucks selling ammo to [H] guys at the least.

It was only $800 :p. Plus the extras I got with the D800 made it even closer.

Nah, $1000 :p, the D600 was on sale for $1900 - $50 gift card i had = $1850 - that made me tip over the edge :p

Thanks! And F1 is back in the US! I was at USGP last year (not going this year, especially after this impulsive buy ~.~), and another GP will start next year in NJ. You can still hit up the one in texas this november :)

Oh nice, I had heard they might be coming back to the US but I didn't realize that was already happening. I still wont be able to go to one anytime soon until I save up some funds because I'm In Wisconsin so I would have to fly somewhere to see a race. At least they are back in the US though so that's one step closer to me being able to go to one.

Congrats on the new purchase too, I cant wait to see what you will be able to do with it.

Damn you all...
Haha, you caved in easily ;) I think I speak for all of us, when I say....

You're welcome! :D;)

About that 16-35mm... you need to get it, like, yesterday. Take advantage of that wide end, see the world from a different perspective. :cool: (11mm on a crop is only 16.5mm equivalent! :eek:)

But in all seriousness, congrats man! Enjoy the new toy! I'm looking forward to your shots.

I do find it a little funny. One full frame thread, and two Nikon bodies sold. Gotta love the [H] :D We should all get a little commission out of it ;)

Hah, thanks, and indeed... only on [H]!

Believe it or not, I was inches away from getting the 16-35 and getting my holy grail combo. The salesman gave me a fantastic deal (been buying from him for years) and I found that too very difficult to resist as well. It's only when I heard the final tally that I got mortified and backed away. I am still able to get the 16-35 at a well priced rate, Perhaps in a month or two.

I played around a little with it, and a few quick things that I've noticed:
- Wow, you dont realize how much a crop sensor "crops" until you use FF - 28mm is nice and wide! (= 18mmish on crop). It's one thing to understand the crop factor, but to experience it is something else.
- The improvement on DOF is unbelievably massive - wasnt expecting that - holy crap!
- The size is just a tad bigger than the D7000, which is perfect to grip. Dials feel manly. It's also surprisingly lighter - Checked out the D800, and while it's an impressive beast, tooo big
- A little nuisance, the dials are reversed... I.e. you have to rotate the dial to the left as opposed to the right to get the correct exposure. It's very minor and I'm sure I'll get used to it quick, but it does make me wonder why they just didnt leave it consistent throughout their models. It's kinda like how you have to rotate the other direction to zoom on a canon lens. Odd.
- The viewfinder isn't that much bigger than the D7000, I was kinda expecting a little more?
- Otherwise, the layout is essentially identical to the D7000.

- A little nuisance, the dials are reversed... I.e. you have to rotate the dial to the left as opposed to the right to get the correct exposure. It's very minor and I'm sure I'll get used to it quick, but it does make me wonder why they just didnt leave it consistent throughout their models. It's kinda like how you have to rotate the other direction to zoom on a canon lens. Odd.
RTFM ;)

Look under custom settings.

First time I put a Sigma lens on my 6D in a camera store- a 70-200/2.8 OS- and I had to fumble with it. The zoom is toward the objective end, and it's backwards? WTH?

You figure they could make zooms for the Canon mount that turn the correct way and all :D

First time I put a Sigma lens on my 6D in a camera store- a 70-200/2.8 OS- and I had to fumble with it. The zoom is toward the objective end, and it's backwards? WTH?

You figure they could make zooms for the Canon mount that turn the correct way and all :D

Might be different on Nikon or their bodies, and they just keep everything except the mount all standardized for production line purposes.

I'm leaning heavily toward getting the Sigma 35 1.4. and the 16-35 or the 14-24.

I have the 501.8D but I haven't heard great things about the 50mm primes on the D800, I heard they are kinda soft.

The 85 1.4G works pretty well on the D90 I have, though 127mm ish is pretty long for fooling around inside with. Pretty solid for portraits. I'm trying to force myself to shoot full manual more and more (I spend a lot of time in Programmed mode for when I travel and am walking around - probably left feelings of frustration from shooting random shit indoors to learn how light works).

Program mode is likely your best bet, after getting good with full manual, or Tv. I used to use Av all the time, but realized that the camera liked to drop shutter speed quickly, and that kills shots when you're not on a tripod.

Program mode is likely your best bet, after getting good with full manual, or Tv. I used to use Av all the time, but realized that the camera liked to drop shutter speed quickly, and that kills shots when you're not on a tripod.

I noticed in Auto ISO mode on manual it really limits some of what you can shoot if it doesn't think you have enough light if you're using a lower aperture.. Kinda odd since it's manual - you think it would bump the ISO and let you choose whatever aperture you want and just shoot around it.

I've found program mode seems to work pretty well - that's what I used after I stopped using Auto early on.

I used program mode a lot early on because I didn't need to worry so much about depth of field - I often shot tight stuff early on and never realized that aperture effected depth of field.. Then I read more and more and was like derp, that makes perfect sense if you think about it optically.

What I'm starting to do lately is use program mode/auto mode for a new environment just to see where the camera thinks different values should be. I kinda got a basic feel for the relationship between shutter speed, ISO and aperture. The weird thing I think is still just having that gut feeling about how much light I need for a given situation to just roll into it with full manual from the get go. I find that I usually get within a 0.5 - 1 stop on guessing.

It's just weird because you spend a lot of time just shooting and working on composure and I never realized I got lucky with depth of field always just being where I wanted it...

Funny though when I started I knew jack diddly about how all the stuff worked together other than very basics, but through reading more about lenses and peoples viewpoints later on I learned the most.

I've recently started reading more again and watching youtube videos and some instructional videos on HDR and interviews with some pro photographers to just hear what they have to say about shooting. I've found a lot very interesting - especially on why they take pictures etc.

One thing I've noticed one said that I respected and could relate to is Colby Brown (think his first name is colby) he talks about capturing things that speak to you emotionally.. I've always just had a weird "feeling" when taking photos that I think will be amazing.

The weirdest is I still have this dumbass urge to take "snapshots" of cool shit I think is neat, even if there is no photo.

I'm going to do some PP on a few photos I took with the 85mm 1.8G on the D90 after I got home today and post them up here. Probably will take more tomorrow when my D800 comes :D - getting excited haha.

Some preliminary photos:

They're the bestest of friends!
9275229160_74190aea53_b.jpg

Thor's stoic pose:

9275228742_a5967fa8de_b.jpg

He knows he's pretty:

9275228378_38d93c4df9_b.jpg

Last edited:
Yup- most people are 'hands-on' learners.

I probably would have been better off taking a photography class from a knowledge perspective, but it still wouldn't have helped me artistically- I needed to wrap my head around it on my own first.

The first shoot I did with my 6D was a car show, starting in the early afternoon and moving into the evening, first with the 24-105L kit lens and then with the 50/1.4 USM. I shot in full-manual, keeping the aperture relatively wide, but I realized that I wound up tossing too many shots because they were either too noisy, or more so they were blurry due to a slow shutter speed. So I'm starting to experiment with the P and Tv modes more, while giving the camera various lockdowns like 'maximum shutter speed' and 'maximum ISO'. When I get stuff where I want it, I'll likely start locking in the custom modes.

Yup- most people are 'hands-on' learners.

I probably would have been better off taking a photography class from a knowledge perspective, but it still wouldn't have helped me artistically- I needed to wrap my head around it on my own first.

The first shoot I did with my 6D was a car show, starting in the early afternoon and moving into the evening, first with the 24-105L kit lens and then with the 50/1.4 USM. I shot in full-manual, keeping the aperture relatively wide, but I realized that I wound up tossing too many shots because they were either too noisy, or more so they were blurry due to a slow shutter speed. So I'm starting to experiment with the P and Tv modes more, while giving the camera various lockdowns like 'maximum shutter speed' and 'maximum ISO'. When I get stuff where I want it, I'll likely start locking in the custom modes.

I treat it like this: slowing down sometimes and thinking more for the shots when I have time makes need better, we have all these awesome tools but since they're so fast compared to film it's easy just shoot a lot really quickly.

My grandpa just pulled his old Minolta out of his closet- it's as old as I am. Had a guy at a photo shop look at it and give it a function check, and it's apparently in great condition. Should slow me down quite a bit, I think :).

Just got the D800, UPS guy was visited by our door greeter as shown above, as per usual.

Man this thing is built like a tank, I love how it feels in the hands. It's heavier but not that much heavier than my D90 that it would bother me I don't think. How the grip is designed is HUGELY better than the D90, but I suppose that's to be expected.

One thing I am curious about - Which eye do you guys use for the viewfinder? I find myself switching but using my right eye most of the time...and getting facial oils on the viewfinder.

Right eye only, and yeah, you'll get stuff on the back screen :).

My 6D is only slightly heavier than the 60D it replaced, and it does feel much better- more solid, of course, but also a much nicer feel to the coatings and the buttons. Wish I had the chance to pickup a semi-pro Nikon beyond the 7000-series (like any retail store carries those, or the Canons), but I didn't find any fault with the D7000. Put it in M mode and snapped right away; and realized that I could just as easily be a Nikon guy :D.

Right eye only, and yeah, you'll get stuff on the back screen :).

My 6D is only slightly heavier than the 60D it replaced, and it does feel much better- more solid, of course, but also a much nicer feel to the coatings and the buttons. Wish I had the chance to pickup a semi-pro Nikon beyond the 7000-series (like any retail store carries those, or the Canons), but I didn't find any fault with the D7000. Put it in M mode and snapped right away; and realized that I could just as easily be a Nikon guy :D.

Best buy actually has D600s and D800s in some stores. I noticed that when I picked up my 85mm f/1.8G from them.

Just got the D800, UPS guy was visited by our door greeter as shown above, as per usual.

Man this thing is built like a tank, I love how it feels in the hands. It's heavier but not that much heavier than my D90 that it would bother me I don't think. How the grip is designed is HUGELY better than the D90, but I suppose that's to be expected.

One thing I am curious about - Which eye do you guys use for the viewfinder? I find myself switching but using my right eye most of the time...and getting facial oils on the viewfinder.

Congrats! Make sure to read the manual cover to cover. Also, you might find this guide helpful for setting up your banks.

I also use my right eye, because that's my dominant eye. The better question is... do you keep your other eye closed or open when you frame your shot? ;)

Congrats! Make sure to read the manual cover to cover. Also, you might find this guide helpful for setting up your banks.

I also use my right eye, because that's my dominant eye. The better question is... do you keep your other eye closed or open when you frame your shot? ;)

I'm not dominant with either eye, works the same for my shooting. I close my other eye when I frame my shot. I can keep it open but it's easier to close the other. It's not like my eotech :p

Congrats! The D800 is indeed a beast!

The left side of my body is good for nothing, so I use only my right eye.

Best buy actually has D600s and D800s in some stores. I noticed that when I picked up my 85mm f/1.8G from them.

There's one in downtown Dallas- but the rest? 60D or 7D :). Fry's is a little better, but I don't know anyone in North Texas (aside from the few camera stores left) that sell the D800/E.

There's one in downtown Dallas- but the rest? 60D or 7D :). Fry's is a little better, but I don't know anyone in North Texas (aside from the few camera stores left) that sell the D800/E.

I live in lewisville.. The one in frisco has them btw.

That's not too bad then. I'd love to be able to pick them up just to compare- but I don't think it'd make much difference for me :).

I'd likely be willing to pick up whichever Nikon crop has dual control wheels- that's a minimum for me; but Canon's new 70D is really, really promising, and it can shoot all of my current lenses. And that new 18-135 IS STM is actually pretty cool for a crop super-zoom, even if it isn't the sharpest lens ever.

Still, a crop Nikon with adapters to use old manual glass does sound pretty interesting to me; ugh, stupid GAS. Ah well :D

Back