So Frustrating

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
So I'm still trying to fix my server that died DFI X48 chipset board.

I replaced the full size X48 board with a spare m45 motherboard I have laying around.

The problem is the M45 MB only has 6 sata ports and I need 8.
Now when I used this board before I used with with a couple sata PCIE cards to gain enough SATA ports for all the drives.

But I can no longer get the computer to boot up when I had one of the SATA cards in the PCIE slot.

If I remove the Sata Card, the computer boots up fine.
However if I remove one stick of ram (go down to 6GB from 8GB and it does not matter which one) and leave the sata card in place the motherboard also boots up fine. But what I really want is both the sata card AND the full 8gb of ram to be installed.

Is there some kinda bios setting that could be screwing me up? Anyone ever heard of anything like this before? It took me forever to figure out what was going on. I know the SATA card and RAM are both good, but previously when I used the sata card in the PCIE slot I only had 2 sticks of ram in the MB which is what lead me to attempting to remove memory.

Possibly a power related issue, not necessarily PSU.
Old capacitors lose their max capacitance and can increase their DC leakage, reducing the amount of power available locally for the needed tiny energy spikes.
They could be old capacitors on anything local.
ie motherboard, cards plugged in ... even the PSU if the peak output approaches its max capability (this reduces with age and use).

I agree with Nenu, the board probably doesn't have enough power for all those peripherals...maybe time for some drive consolidation to reduce the number of ports?

Back