So, first time SSD user.

so yeah, just ordered my first SSD, went with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357

I have a couple of noob questions:

1. I plan on doing a clean install of windows 7... Can I just pull my current drive out and install?

2. Do I need to make any changes to my bios before installation/after installation?

3. Being that I'm going from a 2TB RAID 0 array, to a 64GB SSD, I'll be needing to install a majority of my apps on a secondary drive. Is there some sort of default setting/registry hack for windows 7 that will change the default location for my "Program Files(x86)" & "Program Files" folders?

4. any Windows settings need tweeking for the ssd to perform better? (no defragging, and such??)

so yeah, just ordered my first SSD, went with: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357

I have a couple of noob questions:

1. I plan on doing a clean install of windows 7... Can I just pull my current drive out and install?

2. Do I need to make any changes to my bios before installation/after installation?

3. Being that I'm going from a 2TB RAID 0 array, to a 64GB SSD, I'll be needing to install a majority of my apps on a secondary drive. Is there some sort of default setting/registry hack for windows 7 that will change the default location for my "Program Files(x86)" & "Program Files" folders?

4. any Windows settings need tweeking for the ssd to perform better? (no defragging, and such??)

1) Probably, yes.

2) Depends on how well #1 works for you.

3) Depends on the application itself. Many apps are isolated, and allow installations to wherever you choose. Other apps are part of a "bigger picture", and may only partially install to the place you select. It's really a YMMV question. However, I would recommend remapping your "My Docs" folder to a folder on the secondary drive. Others may have some additional data repositioning suggestions, too.

4) For Windows 7, I'd say leave it as-is.

2- make sure your SATA ports are set on ACHI mode (not IDE or RAID) in BIOS before starting to install windows. thats all you have to do, usually this is already done, but double check.

3- personally, i have a 120GB SSD for the OS and programs i want to be fast. I have regular HDDs for everything that doesnt need to be fast. the only 'tweak' ive done was to move the temp folder off the SSD. when you download a file in IE, or unzip a file, the temporary partial files are stored in the 'temp folder' and then once the download or unzip operation finishes, those temp files are compiled and copied to the end destination. if you leave your temp folder on the SSD, you can see how even if you download something to another drive, it gets put on the SSD anyway which you dont want. i never use "my documents" or "my pictures" folders anyway, so i didnt bother to move them. its up to you.

you can google the exact steps, but to change the temp folder right click on my computer, properties, advanced system properties, in the 'advanced' tab, click environmental variables. change the two entries in the top part to point at another drive.

you have to figure out on your own which programs you want on the SSD and which are fine to put elsewhere. just because c:\program files\ is the default install directory doesnt mean things have to be put in this folder or even this drive.

4- none other then #3

agree with the posters above with a couple of additions.

as you will be installing the OS on to a small SSD, would consider moving the page file to different drive also. with the amount of RAM in your system, windows will set aside 8GB minimum.

another tip is set the trash to not recycle or 1% (600MB) and to disable system restore. if you're worried about getting your system back up from a crash / corruption, install windows with all updated drivers (& SP1) and all the programs you used day-to-day and create an image. easier than troubleshooting windows errors & all things being equal backup in under 20mins. course this isn't a substitute for a proper backup of your documents, photo's etc.

all up this should maximise the space available for applications that need the benefits SSD's offer.

Back