SO can you dual boot from a Vista upgrade version?

Diseaseboy

[H]ard|Gawd
OK- I've spent the whole morning and early afternoon trying to find this out to no avail :( Can someone please confirm if I buy either home premium upgrade or ultimate upgrade I can install Vista on a seperate hard drive (from within Win Xp) and then dual boot between my current XP install and the new Vista install?

Thanks,

Scott

That is a good question. I have heard that the upgrade must be installed over a current install, but I have also been told that the Vista upgrade install only asks for an older version install disk, and then installs Vista from there.

So, I guess I don't for sure, but would really like an answer as well.

Agreed -you are buying an "upgrade" for your XP. With any upgrade I am aware of you lose the ability to legally use the software that was upgraded. If you want to run both then you need to buy a license for both.

"I have also been told that the Vista upgrade install only asks for an older version install disk"

Incorrect info. That was the old XP way Vista upgrades do not ask for a disc for the old OS, the OS the be upgraded must be installed or the upgrade will not run.

Incorrect info. That was the old XP way Vista upgrades do not ask for a disc for the old OS, the OS the be upgraded must be installed or the upgrade will not run.

Thanks for clearing that up, I appreicate the info.

OK- I have an legit copy of Windows 2000- I think I'll just install that and then install Vista- according to Microsoft's upgrade chart it will do a clean install over 2000. I'll just then switch the boot drives around in the bios to boot into XP or Vista.

Can't you just install XP on your system twice then install vista over one of the installs? I can't remember if I did this with two separate partitions or not, but I do know for sure that I had two XP installs running on the same machine before.

Not sure about that- I'm running XP Pro that is actually a corp edition we use in my office. I'm concerned that if I install Vista over that, Microsoft will deactivate the product key for my corp edition version of XP and it will affect my whole company's version of XP- or am I wrong?

I'm concerned that if I install Vista over that, Microsoft will deactivate the product key for my corp edition version of XP and it will affect my whole company- or am I wrong?

Why would microsoft deactivate a key that is necessary for you to use if you ever needed to install Vista again because obviously you would need to install XP first.

This is especially true with corp keys. I highly doubt you have anything to worry about.

If you buy an upgrade version of Vista, you cannot do a dual boot, as the coa of the old XP is now tied to the new Vista install. If you want to dual boot, then a full version of Vista is required. So Sayeth MS.You CAN also downgrade back to your XP install if you don't like Vista, but a phone call to reactivate the XP install will probably be needed. It was further suggested that once you do the upgrade, you image your drive, to save time in the event you want to do a reinstall later on.

OK- I have an legit copy of Windows 2000- I think I'll just install that and then install Vista- according to Microsoft's upgrade chart it will do a clean install over 2000. I'll just then switch the boot drives around in the bios to boot into XP or Vista.
Be aware that 2000 still needs to be installed and have SP4 before an upgrade will be allowed.

If you buy an upgrade version of Vista, you cannot do a dual boot, as the coa of the old XP is now tied to the new Vista install.

How can a corp license be tied to a specific install? That corp license is used on dozens to thousands of machines. Corp licenses have one activation code for all those machines.

The current line of thinking that I'm aware of is:

If you use an upgrade version of Vista, you are required to use the XP key to verify your right to the use of the upgrade version in the first place. Doing so will deactivate the XP key for future validation requests for Windows Update and any other available updates for that XP installation.

In light of that, basically if you buy or install an upgrade version of Vista, it will invalidate your XP key/installation and make it pretty much useless - hence a dual boot of XP and Vista is more than likely not going to happen unless you have another XP key or installation to use, but not the one you used to validate the Vista upgrade.

That's the price you pay to get Vista on the cheap as an upgrade and save a few bucks.

If that's not what you want, and you want to continue dual booting Vista, my suggestion at this point is get an OEM copy of Vista and don't activate it until you're 100% certain you're happy with it on the hardware you have.

does anybody else find it annyoing that to install the upgrade version of vista you need a perviously installed version of windows already installed? i mean, compared to how you used to upgrade 9x and so on, all you had to do was verify the media in the middle of a blank install and that was all. now if you need to do a fresh install via the upgrade you have to spend an extra hour to install xp/2k and the required updates first, then vista...

does anybody else find it annyoing that to install the upgrade version of vista you need a perviously installed version of windows already installed? i mean, compared to how you used to upgrade 9x and so on, all you had to do was verify the media in the middle of a blank install and that was all. now if you need to do a fresh install via the upgrade you have to spend an extra hour to install xp/2k and the required updates first, then vista...
It's a real pain in the A** but it was done to weed out the abusers of VLK copys of XP, that don't require activation, and pirated or borrowed copys of an OS. ANY disc would work the old way, The new way ,you have to PROVE you have a legit copy of XP. MS suggests that once you install your Vista upgrade, you image your drive, so a reinstall of Vista would be faster. I KNOW the next question is ,what happens when I upgrade my Motherboard, Hardware etc. Keep in mind that OEM is Legally tied to the original build, and be happy if they even allow reactivation on a major upgrade.

The current line of thinking that I'm aware of is:

If you use an upgrade version of Vista, you are required to use the XP key to verify your right to the use of the upgrade version in the first place. Doing so will deactivate the XP key for future validation requests for Windows Update and any other available updates for that XP installation.

In light of that, basically if you buy or install an upgrade version of Vista, it will invalidate your XP key/installation and make it pretty much useless - hence a dual boot of XP and Vista is more than likely not going to happen unless you have another XP key or installation to use, but not the one you used to validate the Vista upgrade.

That's the price you pay to get Vista on the cheap as an upgrade and save a few bucks.

If that's not what you want, and you want to continue dual booting Vista, my suggestion at this point is get an OEM copy of Vista and don't activate it until you're 100% certain you're happy with it on the hardware you have.
Right on the money, this IS the way it is.

You have to start the installation of the upgrade from inside XP, yep, but you can still wipe the drive clean and get the clean install that is so crucial to good performance, so I don't really see what the issue is.

Sure, there are a lot of people that just want to stick in the Vista DVD and boot off it and hit the ground running, but as the poster above just said, there's reasons that particular method simply doesn't work this time around.

You can fault Microsoft for the methodology they've chosen, but you can't fault them for trying to keep people from ripping them off.

How can a corp license be tied to a specific install? That corp license is used on dozens to thousands of machines. Corp licenses have one activation code for all those machines.
Corp. licenses are handled a little differently,

Not really sure of what will happen, if you try to upgrade one of those. I do know that changes in the EULA ,will require that even VLK licensed machines will need to be activated with Vista. I read something about MS using Corp servers to activate or some such BS. The changes were made to stop the mis use of Corp/VLK software by unauthorized people.

You have to start the installation of the upgrade from inside XP, yep, but you can still wipe the drive clean and get the clean install that is so crucial to good performance, so I don't really see what the issue is.

Sure, there are a lot of people that just want to stick in the Vista DVD and boot off it and hit the ground running, but as the poster above just said, there's reasons that particular method simply doesn't work this time around.

You can fault Microsoft for the methodology they've chosen, but you can't fault them for trying to keep people from ripping them off.
`Since the upgrade basically stashes the old os and all its folders in a seperate folder, all you need to do is delete the folder, and you have a clean install. I think the major reason that people are unhappy, is because they HAVE to have a legit copy of XP or 2000. If it REALLY bugs you, buy an oem copy of Vista, and don't worry about all the work it takes to use the upgrade disc.

OK...after a big headache trying to figure this all out I'm going back to Best Buy and exchanging my upgrade edition to a full retail. It's just too bad that all the pirated software has to ruin everything for people who are trying to be legit. Lord help me if my wife finds out I spent $240.00 instead of $160.00 like I told her today-LOL. Maybe Best Buy will give me $159.99 sticker to put on my retail box :D

`Since the upgrade basically stashes the old os and all its folders in a seperate folder, all you need to do is delete the folder, and you have a clean install. I think the major reason that people are unhappy, is because they HAVE to have a legit copy of XP or 2000. If it REALLY bugs you, buy an oem copy of Vista, and don't worry about all the work it takes to use the upgrade disc.

But you know......I have 3 copies of Windows XP that I have purchsed along with a corp edition from my workplace. I am not using a XP home edition- it's just sitting there in a box. I really want to dual boot- I can use the XP home edition that is just sitting there to qualify for my Vista upgrade- but I can't because that is not the version installed on my pc. That is what I have a problem with- the implementation of all of this sucks IMHO.

I would rather have to call Microsoft myself and exchange the legit XP home key for a Vista key and be able to do a full install. Microsoft could then just disable the XP home key for all I care. To me that would have made things a lot easier.

But you know......I have 3 copies of Windows XP that I have purchsed along with a corp edition from my workplace. I am not using a XP home edition- it's just sitting there in a box. I really want to dual boot- I can use the XP home edition that is just sitting there to qualify for my Vista upgrade- but I can't because that is not the version installed on my pc. That is what I have a problem with- the implementation of all of this sucks IMHO.

I would rather have to call Microsoft myself and exchange the legit XP home key for a Vista key and be able to do a full install. Microsoft could then just disable the XP home key for all I care. To me that would have made things a lot easier.

so you want a free os?

although i wish we could type an xp key in, and pay some amount, and get a vista full install key.

install the other copy you have, and then install vista over that. you can install multiple copies of xp on a pc.

Remove the drive with the copy of XP you want to save. Install home on a bare drive/activate it, and then install Vista. NOW reinstall the XP drive and create a diual boot.

so you want a free os?

install the other copy you have, and then install vista over that. you can install multiple copies of xp on a pc.

You're not reading what I'm saying- it would make it a lot EASIER. I know I can install XP home and then install the Vista upgrade- but it's seems to be a lot more trouble to do this. I'm not looking for a free OS. In my situation I'm going to have to install Home XP- install Vista over that and then reinstall my hard drive with my XP pro on it. It'll work, but I won't have the nice menu at boot to choose between XP and Vista without going through more hassle.

I would have rathered Microsoft ship a full bootable upgrade version without activation keys and make you either call them to exchange a XP key for a Vista key or have a process to submit keys online and then they would e-mail you a Vista key.

Back