So basically, there is no 22 inch monitor that's worth it right now?

Yeah, all 22"s seem to be TNs. You could always get a 20" with the same resolution...but a tad smaller.

Yeah, all 22"s seem to be TNs. You could always get a 20" with the same resolution...but a tad smaller.

You're forgetting that everyone on these forums needs at least two 24" widescreen LCD monitors :D

Honestly, I find 20" widescreen to be the perfect size.

Wtf are you all talking about?

The Samsung 226BW is awesome. If you want to bitch about TN, S-PVA, S-IPS, etc: go back to a crt.

i have the ACER AL2223W and it runs at a res of 1680 X 1050 (16 to 10 ratio) and its awesome! its also 5ms. great overall screen.

20 inch then? What do you suggest?

there are no more VX2025WM PVA's to be found, only the 2035 TN's.

Opinion?

And no, I'm not into dual 36 inch 2000$ screens... more like 300-400$.

Wtf are you all talking about?

The Samsung 226BW is awesome. If you want to bitch about TN, S-PVA, S-IPS, etc: go back to a crt.

C'mon man, some people prefer certain panels for what they need their monitors to do!

I'm not bitching, i'm wondering.

Is the 226bw good? I just don,t wana throw 400$ into a monitor and hate it...

i can attest to the greatness that is the 226BW. Just dont plug in the ps3 or console. Use it as a PC screen.

Hey everybody, (Kryogen, I don't mean to jack your thread or anything, but I've got a question along the same lines)

What is the difference between all these panels?
and
What is 1:1 pixel mapping ratio?

Thanks for the help,
-Snowy

Hey everybody, (Kryogen, I don't mean to jack your thread or anything, but I've got a question along the same lines)

What is the difference between all these panels?
and
What is 1:1 pixel mapping ratio?

Thanks for the help,
-Snowy

There's a sticky up top about the different panels.
1:1 is when the monitor takes the resolution of the input signal and displays that without stretching to fill the monitor. Say the input signal is 720p, your monitor will display 1280x720 in the middle of the screen, and black bars will fill in the rest of the screen. This is useful for the monitor to keep the aspect of the signal rather than stretch it to 16:10 (widescreen) or 4:3 (standard).

Samsung is producing some of the best HDTV's and PC monitors out today; do you honestly think they would produce a product that "...is not worth it right now..."

As stated, the 22's make (very) good pc monitors; perhaps marginal television sets for watching videos.

Edit: I've got the 225bw if you have any questions.

There's a sticky up top about the different panels.
1:1 is when the monitor takes the resolution of the input signal and displays that without stretching to fill the monitor. Say the input signal is 720p, your monitor will display 1280x720 in the middle of the screen, and black bars will fill in the rest of the screen. This is useful for the monitor to keep the aspect of the signal rather than stretch it to 16:10 (widescreen) or 4:3 (standard).

ah thank you, however, I'm still not quite sure I understand 1:1... Let me see if I got it...
So basically with 1:1, while you're watching a 720p movie, your monitor won't stretch it to the 16:10 ratio, but will leave it at the normal 720p resolution?

226bw is not widely available in canada right now :p Should soon be.

I'll check it out, seems like a good one.

I haven't tried the 226BW, but I had the 225BW for about two weeks before I finally gave up on it. Its colors were flat and desaturated, the backlight bleed was horrendous, text was dificult to read, and there was a lot of banding as it tried to estimate colors that it couldn't produce.

I went back to my two year old Samsung 193P+, a PVA-based panel, until I finally convinced myself to pull the trigger on my S-PVA based 24" Gateway FPD2485WH.

ah thank you, however, I'm still not quite sure I understand 1:1... Let me see if I got it...
So basically with 1:1, while you're watching a 720p movie, your monitor won't stretch it to the 16:10 ratio, but will leave it at the normal 720p resolution?

Perhaps put simply, there's no interpolation or processing of the "resolution";

i.e., 1 pixel is not interpolated digitally into 1.5 pixels... ya da, ya da, ya da.

All are TN cheap panels?

So what to do, wait?

I have tried tons of 22's and frankly have been left with the following impressions :

1. Great for gaming (fast response times) IF and i mean IF you dont mind a lack of full 16.7m color pallate that nearly every CRT comes with standard.

2. Many of them seem built on the cheap. Flimsy construction, no stand adjustment, lack of inputs, lack of features.

3.Crappy OSD. Many of the 22 inchers i tried just have terrible control functions. The one i cant stand the most is Magictune from samsung, program crashed constantly and would lose presets all the time, not to mention the CD that was shipped me had ZERO data printed on it.

4. Backlight issues . Is it me or do 22 inchers seem to be more prone to this issue? about 90 precent of the LCD's i used in this size had horrible backlight bleed from all corners , some with huge bleed from half the screen downward.One from Viewsonic had such bad backlight bleeding that black became completely gray.

5. Terrible viewing angels. If you dont view your LCD from the correct level and head on forget TN panels ever exsisted. It will drive you up a wall.

Anyway these are personal experiences i am sure some people love there 22's . Right now if i was forced at gun point to buy one i would go for the Spectre 22".

The proof is in the pudding. Go to the Gateway and Dell sites and look at the price for the 22" models compared to the 20 or 21 inch models. If they thought the 22 inch models were superior products, they would be priced higher.

The 22 inch is not bad if:
- you only care about response time, gamers maybe
- you have bad eyesight (larger dot pitch)

Otherwise, I think these screen speak for themselves. I can't see spending $300+ on a screen that can't even show 16.7 million colors; even my first CRT from 1994 could do that. Bacillus posted this side-by-side comparo of one TN and one S-IPS in the "Show Your LCDs" thread and I don't think he will mind my posting it in here. I think you can guess which one is which.

129366307-L.jpg

I agree; here, here;

And the Samsung 225bw, and probably the 226, have:

"Colors: 16.7 Million (8-bit Panel)"

Hell yes they're worth it (have a Chimei 22" WS) but then again:

- I don't have a long enough neck to look at it from a 60 degree angle
- don't spend time adjusting brightness to near black to bitch about backlighting
- don't miss .5 million colors if it's already got 16.2, as if anyone really notices
- have it mounted high enough so I'm not kicking it to test the stand
- could care less about about color accuracy so long as it's in the ballpark

Maybe I'm different.

I would, but there is no place in canada where it's not backorder. and it's not widely available.

Ncix is backorder 490$ CAN
Locally, on their website, microbytes says "call store to check availability". 500$ CAN.

Pretty expensive, and backorder everywhere.

- don't spend time adjusting brightness to near black to bitch about backlighting
- don't miss .5 million colors if it's already got 16.2, as if anyone really notices

Maybe I'm different.
Fair enough, but let me refute/expand upon viewing angle. Viewing angle is not about looking at your screen from the side. All LCDs lose a certain amount of their contrast and color accuracy as you look at it from any angle other than exactly straight-on (which is possible only in theory); it might be a small amount and you might not notice it, but it'll happen. LCDs with narrower viewing angles will tend to wash out and colors may start to distort even at a slight angle. It'll still be viewable, but it won't look as good as it would on a screen with a better viewing angle. If you are viewing a large image or video, your display might look slightly different on the ends of the screen than in the center.

As for color accuracy, those extra 500,000 colors can make a large difference to people who work with graphics, especially as the monitor dithers to achieve certain colors. If it's not important to you, sure, but your eyes will notice it whether you are aware of it or not.

6 bit per layer * 3 layers (RGB) would = 18 bit = ~262k colors

What you people are talking about with 16.2 vs 16.7 is 6bit panels with dithering to simulate 8 bit. These very often are passed off as 8 bit panels though. Real 8 bit panels are 8 bit color in each layer for a total of 24bit color or 16.7 million colors. The difference is massive mathematically between true 6 and true 8, although not necessarily really noticeable in the realworld (depending on how anal or obsessive you are and what youre doing). The difference between 6 bit + dithering and 8 bit is even more subtle. The Samsung mentioned is 6+2, not 8.

That said, most of this is BS. People often dont even really understand what the heck they're arguing about and are just engaged in a paper stat pissing contest.

Ive been using a 6 bit (+2) panel for years and I never notice the difference. If you know you really can (or youve convinced yourself you can - which is the same at the end of the day), then by all means buy CRT or S-IPS.

If you're normal and looking for recommendations, its really not going to matter a lot to you. This is just like any audiophile or videophile discussion. 90% of the population has no clue what they're seeing or listening to even if they wish they did. Take a technically unbelievable audio rig and play music someone doesnt like through it and they will say it sucks. Play what they like through a POS iPod in MP3 format and they will think it is the best sound ever heard by human ears. This is just human nature.

Maybe I'm different.
Another vote for the ChiMei CMV 221D :D
Link to black version
Link to silver version

For only costing $290 it's one heck of a monitor, and it kicks the crap out of my old 19" Samsung 930b in the brightness and contrast ratio department. Color reproduction looks good to me, just needed to give the color settings on the monitor a slight tweak and it was good to go.

There's also the advantage of being able to game on one of these (1680x1050) without the performance hit of larger panels (1900x1200).

get the Samsung 226BW. I wasn't sure until I got it.

And that crap about how it is only theoretically possible to look at a monitor from head on made me laugh out loud. Although the statement is generally true in practice, there is no way this is going to affect you unless you like to rock back and forth while looking at your screen. And even though the difference in viewing angle between 0% and 1% is a real effect, it is still an IMPERCEPTIBLE one. I mean, what the hell are you, Superman?

Back