So, any benefits w/ 64bit vista yet?

Pyrex238

Limp Gawd
I've been running 64bit for about a year now, and as expected not much of anything has happened.... I've been out of it for a little bit, but I was wondering if there was any programs/apps that have been released for 64bit that actually take advantage of the memory/architecture to any nominal amount?

there are alot of apps, but more so in the realm of 3D work / Audio / Graphics, very little reason to say port MSN or something over to 64bit.

Lol, well yeah.

I'm a game developer, so I work in 3dstudio 8 64bit all day long, yes that is one of the few apps that has been useful in the environment, but even then it's really not even noticable in speed or application. But apps that could be useful? winrar? apps like that.

I was wondering if there was any programs/apps that have been released for 64bit that actually take advantage of the memory/architecture to any nominal amount?

Been running Vista x64 for a few months now. The reason I switched from Vista x86 to x64 was because I began messing around with vmware and needed to install more ram to make use the ram hungry virtual machines. The force that is fueling the x64 bit transition so far is for apts that use lots of ram.

The need for more and more ram is what will eventually force the majority of the public to x64 OS's.

If you do not need more than about 3.5GB,s of ram than I see no real benefit to going 64 bit at this time.

Vista 64bit is noticeably faster to start and just do basic tasks on my hardware than Vista 32bit. That's benefit enough all on its own. That, and I'd only see ~2.5GB of my 4GB of RAM if I ran 32bit now, due to 2 8800 GTX 768MBs in SLI.

Vista 64bit is noticeably faster to start and just do basic tasks on my hardware than Vista 32bit. That's benefit enough all on its own. That, and I'd only see ~2.5GB of my 4GB of RAM if I ran 32bit now, due to 2 8800 GTX 768MBs in SLI.

I have not noticed any difference in the speed. At least not in the apts I use on a daily basis. Although probably most apts I use are running in wow64. But I am loving the 6GB's of ram.

Just curious, what is it on your pc that runs noticeably faster?

What exactly are you looking for or expecting? 64bit is still in its infancy on the consumer desktop and how many apps really need more than a 32bit OS? Games, 3D environments, databases, those sorts of things have been 64bit for a while and can take advantage of it.

For the standard desktop, we are going to need a whole new bread of applications that consume large amounts of memory before 64bit will be very meaningful. Exotic natural language interfaces that understand voice, body language, now there's some possibilities there.

64bit for the desktop is really for the next decade.

Back