• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

So about to pull the trigger; any last thoughts

Kharz

n00b
Joined
Aug 28, 2005
Messages
48
So my last build was in 2006:
1. e6600
2. P5H Deluxe Board (had to buy offf ebay due to the demand from the e6600s)
3. Current graphics cards: 4850s in crossfire
4. Corsair 625 watt powersupply
5. 4 gigs ram
6. Watercooled everything

The build was amazing; I orginally started off with a 1950X (water cooled) and then shifted o the 4850s in crossfire when they came out. Its been an amazing machine and served me well.

But, I am falling behind and need to do a total re-build. I have all of this in new egg's basket and wanted some thoughts before I pull the trigger:


1. 2600k
2. Asus maximus IV
3. Corsair vengeance (16g) 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)
4. Saphire 7970
5. SeaSonic Platnium 1000
6. Windows 7 (finally have to give up my XP ... very sad)

My current thoughts:

1. During my last build; I have purchased several power supplies as the demands keep increasing. I am WAY over buying this one; but I hope it lasts through the next build.
2. My case is a Li Lan watercooled case with 480 rads ... reusing that
3. Also reusing the dvd / hard drive (1 tb) and all the water cooling
4. I wanted the 3930k; but just couldnt find one ... and my machine is dead now; so need to upgrade now. Also why I am not waiting for Ivy
5. I will start off with just the CPU water cooled and shift into the GPU in a few weeks. Then I will OC the crap out of everything
6. Primary usage for this computer is gaming, with some fun home finances (quicken, word)


What do you guys think?

And thank you for any and all advice!
 
If you are building this system for gaming than change to the Intel® Core™ i5-2500K. Right now very few games take advantage of more than 4 threads and those that do yeild very little performance increase for that support. So the hyper-threading that is the main advantage that the Intel Core i7-2600K has over the Intel Core i5-2500K has very minimal value in a gaming system.

On the memory make sure that you pick up the low profile Corsair Vengeance and that it is 1.5v. The reason why is if you are going to overclock the Intel Core i5-2500K you are going to want to pick up a good 3rd party HSF (heatsink/fan) (You don't need water cooling) like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 + that stands about 1.8" over the board and the normal Corsair Vengeance memory stands 2".

On the PSU (Power Supply Unit) you can drop down to 850w if you are planning Xfire with the system or just going to run a single card look at 650w.

On Windows 7 make sure you get the Pro which has an XP emulator so you can run all of your old programs.
 
IntelEnthusiast is right, opt for the i5-2500K. But otherwise, that is going to be a beast of a system. Pull the trigger, build it, then game hard!
 
Just odered. I am so psyched.

My last build lasted me so many years ... the e6600 was really a wonderful chip.

I think the only error i am doing is OVER buying the PSU. Thats been the one thing that I have had to keep upgrading multiple times over the years as my GPUs got bigger ... so I am hoping that PSU is future proof for another 5 years (even when I go crossfire).

I cant wait to get the 2500k under water and crank the girl up.
 
I agree with above posters on the CPU. Switch it out to a 2500k.
As for the video card......I completely envy you.
Great choice on the power supply.
Good MB.
 
Last edited:
However, if I were you, I would switch out the ram to these puppies:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electronics-Extreme-MV-3T4G3D-US/dp/B00592005E/ref=pd_cp_e_0
They are probably the best kept secret in the ram world. They are low profile and overlock like maniacs. I posted this in another thread, but for $48 I doubt you will get better.
I got mine running at the equivalent of ddr3-2200, 1.53 voltage, and 9-10-10-24-1t timings. Just incredible. Rock solid after 24hrs of Prime95 tests.

Just like in this thread, you linked laptop SODIMMs...
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It would be a shame not to put an SSD in a nice system like that.
 
No need to get that CPU under water. Does just fine with a cheap cooler master 212 Evo cooler for less than $30. I have two of those processors. One with a H70 water cooler and one with the Evo. Can't clock the one under the H70 any higher because I'm at the limit of stability with voltage I think. Both of them can achieve 4.5 ghz and stay cool around 60-70C under full load. I say skimp a little on the cooler for that chip. There's really no need to clock any higher than that anyways.

And yeah an SSD will speed up that system a whole bunch.
 
Just odered. I am so psyched.

My last build lasted me so many years ... the e6600 was really a wonderful chip.

I think the only error i am doing is OVER buying the PSU. Thats been the one thing that I have had to keep upgrading multiple times over the years as my GPUs got bigger ... so I am hoping that PSU is future proof for another 5 years (even when I go crossfire).

I cant wait to get the 2500k under water and crank the girl up.

You're overcompensating way too much on the PSU. Get a good 850 watt, and it will be enough for any crossfire system. That PSU is for a tri-crossfire/SLI system. I don't see single GPU power draw exceeding 250 watts any time soon, the way trends are going.

Get a good 600-650 watt, and you're fine for any single GPU system down the road, probably even 10 years from now (provided it doesn't fail first).
 
IntelEnthusiast is right, opt for the i5-2500K. But otherwise, that is going to be a beast of a system. Pull the trigger, build it, then game hard!

Thats the first thing I thought of when I read his list. I have the same CPU. Hyperthreading was not worth the premium, esp since you have 4 cores already.
 
You're overcompensating way too much on the PSU. Get a good 850 watt, and it will be enough for any crossfire system. That PSU is for a tri-crossfire/SLI system. I don't see single GPU power draw exceeding 250 watts any time soon, the way trends are going.

Get a good 600-650 watt, and you're fine for any single GPU system down the road, probably even 10 years from now (provided it doesn't fail first).

I say go for the Seasonic X Series 850 Watt, that one is still not an over-sized extra long PSU, but has a bit of juice, but not too much.
 
Though I would have to say if you can wait a month and a half, Ivy Bridge would be worth it.
 
Yeah these threads lately are silly.

(Generic Gamer system update) (usually socket 775 owner)

IB and z77 boards come out so soon with PCI gen 3 and a boatload of connectivity. :rolleyes:

Aveage [H] forum member OMGWTF!?!?! GET 2500k with PCI 2.0!!1!!1!!11 WTF PWN!11!!!! system!!11!1

Yeah nevor wait a month or two...., just jump on that year old+ tech that hasn't dropped in price, such an genius move lmbo! Bad advice from lots of people imho.

IB = 5.0GHz on air
IB = PCI 3.0 (2 slots)
IB = 3D Transistor
IB = Brand spankin new platform (In fact this platform could last a loooooong time with AMD's CPU struggles) Get a 2.0 board now and you might have to upgrade it in a year.
IB = USB 3.0 bookoo
IB= dual/quad channel memory (SB = only dual)
I'm just learning about this platforms new features honestly. I'd wait it out.

Cebits in March gonna see stuff real soon imo
 
Last edited:
SeaSonic has an 860W platinum rated... wait. You alrady ordered. Everything, or is this thread dead?
 
Yeah these threads lately are silly.

(Generic Gamer system update) (usually socket 775 owner)

IB and z77 boards come out so soon with PCI gen 3 and a boatload of connectivity. :rolleyes:

Aveage [H] forum member OMGWTF!?!?! GET 2500k with PCI 2.0!!1!!1!!11 WTF PWN!11!!!! system!!11!1

Yeah nevor wait a month or two...., just jump on that year old+ tech that hasn't dropped in price, such an genius move lmbo! Bad advice from lots of people imho.

IB = 5.0GHz on air
IB = PCI 3.0 (2 slots)
IB = 3D Transistor
IB = Brand spankin new platform (In fact this platform could last a loooooong time with AMD's CPU struggles) Get a 2.0 board now and you might have to upgrade it in a year.
IB = USB 3.0 bookoo
IB= dual/quad channel memory (SB = only dual)
I'm just learning about this platforms new features honestly. I'd wait it out.

Cebits in March gonna see stuff real soon imo

Are you 12?

Please stop crapping in everyone's SB purchasing threads and on their choices.

IB is going to be good, but it's not going to drop a nuke on SB. Both processors are going to be able to hang with each other until the next release: Haswell. So when it's time to upgrade that MoBo in a year anyway, well, welcome to the 4th generation core processor.
 
Are you 12?

Please stop crapping in everyone's SB purchasing threads and on their choices.

IB is going to be good, but it's not going to drop a nuke on SB. Both processors are going to be able to hang with each other until the next release: Haswell. So when it's time to upgrade that MoBo in a year anyway, well, welcome to the 4th generation core processor.

The guys been bitter ever since bull dozer flopped. And he probably is 12 at the same time.
 
Man, your old build was very similar to mine...

Was the ram D9GMH? I got 2gigs of that stuff back in 06' and it set me back like ~350. Crazy how far ram has come.
 
Are you 12?

Please stop crapping in everyone's SB purchasing threads and on their choices.

IB is going to be good, but it's not going to drop a nuke on SB. Both processors are going to be able to hang with each other until the next release: Haswell. So when it's time to upgrade that MoBo in a year anyway, well, welcome to the 4th generation core processor.

LMBO look @ your sig, 1155 Build-in-progress: i5-2500K * Xigmatek Dark Knight * Biostar NanoDiamond TIM * Lite-On 24x SATA DVD (x2) * 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 * Awaiting Z77 progress DejaWiz! Hypocrit much? LOL you take my advice personally yet say something else to this guy? Then try and mock me with age jokes? Clap Clap Clap. Such a good actor, I bet he believes you like everyone else does.

Just take your own advice and zip the negativity.
 
Yeah - its funny, I dont think 'now' is ever the time for a new build as there is ALWAYS something better coming out soon. Whether its a GPU, CPU, MB .... 'just wait X months'

In this case, the decision was made for me as my computer died and I wasnt going to wait, without a computer, for the newest CPU.

Some quick responses:
1. On water cooling .... the case already has a massive watercooling system built into it (remember back in the day when you had to water cool the 1900XTX?). So everything will be water cooled.
2. In my closet is are four PSUs s(175 watt, 250, 350, 500) ... and currently running a 625. I plan on crossfiring with watercooling in a few months and am sick of needing to buy a PSU evertime I do a rebuild
3. SSD ... totally forgot about that concept ... I will need to get one of those ordered as well (thank you for the idea!!!)
4. Purpose of the box is general gaming and trying to future proof for a few years
5. Again, yes --- waiting for Ivy was the idea --- until my machine died

Of course, newegg hasnt shipped yet, so I guess the rebuild will occur next weekend. I am so freaking pysched!
 
Man, your old build was very similar to mine...

Was the ram D9GMH? I got 2gigs of that stuff back in 06' and it set me back like ~350. Crazy how far ram has come.

Yeah, that was when 2 gigs was out of control. I found my ram from my previous build in my junk box .... two 250 megs (or 248?). Going from 500 megs to 2 gigs was just crazy! It cracks me up to think that my GPU has more ram than my current machine.
 
LMBO look @ your sig, 1155 Build-in-progress: i5-2500K * Xigmatek Dark Knight * Biostar NanoDiamond TIM * Lite-On 24x SATA DVD (x2) * 2x4GB G.Skill DDR3-1333 * Awaiting Z77 progress DejaWiz! Hypocrit much? LOL you take my advice personally yet say something else to this guy? Then try and mock me with age jokes? Clap Clap Clap. Such a good actor, I bet he believes you like everyone else does.

Just take your own advice and zip the negativity.


I've got 3 children to clothe and feed, a mortgage, bills, and everything else monetary that comes along with a married middle class life. The reason I'm holding out for Z77 is because I'll have money from my tax return back at about the same time it hits the market. The 2500K came to me in a recent straight up trade. The rest of the parts have been bought little by little over the past year. I fail to see how this makes me a hypocrite...
 
Yeah - its funny, I dont think 'now' is ever the time for a new build as there is ALWAYS something better coming out soon. Whether its a GPU, CPU, MB .... 'just wait X months'

In this case, the decision was made for me as my computer died and I wasnt going to wait, without a computer, for the newest CPU.

Some quick responses:
1. On water cooling .... the case already has a massive watercooling system built into it (remember back in the day when you had to water cool the 1900XTX?). So everything will be water cooled.
2. In my closet is are four PSUs s(175 watt, 250, 350, 500) ... and currently running a 625. I plan on crossfiring with watercooling in a few months and am sick of needing to buy a PSU evertime I do a rebuild
3. SSD ... totally forgot about that concept ... I will need to get one of those ordered as well (thank you for the idea!!!)
4. Purpose of the box is general gaming and trying to future proof for a few years
5. Again, yes --- waiting for Ivy was the idea --- until my machine died

Of course, newegg hasnt shipped yet, so I guess the rebuild will occur next weekend. I am so freaking pysched!

Going to be an awesome build. The i2500 is a great processor. Just don't forget the SSD. I put my old intel x25m 40gig in my wife's computer. It is slower than your old c2d and it boots and loads programs faster than the new computers in stores. Makes a huge difference.
 
Back
Top