• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Snow Leopard First Impressions

I heard snow leopard comes with QuickTime pro included. Is this true?

not quite sure about it being quicktime pro. it just says quicktime 10.0 and no option to upgrade to pro so i'm assuming its just quicktime player now and apple eliminated the pro
 
I heard snow leopard comes with QuickTime pro included. Is this true?

If you had a Quicktime 7 Pro license key registered, Snow Leopard will retain your QT7 install in Applications -> Utilities. Otherwise, you get Quicktime X.

You don't get Quicktime 7 Pro unless you already had it in Leopard.
 
I love it, I ran out and got it the first day and it is awesome.

Logitech needs to get updated software for my MX revolution though

show contents of the LCC you downloaded and install the LCC within the resources folder. be sure to copy the expose.app from the utilities folder to the applications (this way you can assign one of the mouse buttons to activate expose.)
 
I've never really been a fan of upgrade installs for some reason. From my understanding, Time Machine also restores system files, and I didn't know if that would affect my install. I'm still not quite in the swing of all things Mac, I'm still stuck on my old Windows habits (don't shoot me for saying that). I'm getting there though, I promise.

The upgrade install sucked. Things for me were screwed up everywhere and I had been running basically a fresh install of 10.5. So I just said screw it and did a fresh install off the 10.6 disc which took FOREVER. After that things are running fine. So my views toward upgrade installs still stand. Upgrading sucks. Do a fresh when ever you can.
 
Anyone do a clean, minimal install? A minimal install of Leopard says it requires ~6GB HD space during install and a full install requires ~11.4GB. I like how Apple is like we're so awesome and cut 6 gigs off the install... me too by doing a minimal install!
 
Anyone do a clean, minimal install? A minimal install of Leopard says it requires ~6GB HD space during install and a full install requires ~11.4GB. I like how Apple is like we're so awesome and cut 6 gigs off the install... me too by doing a minimal install!

Yeah I did.
 
I've never really been a fan of upgrade installs for some reason. From my understanding, Time Machine also restores system files, and I didn't know if that would affect my install. I'm still not quite in the swing of all things Mac, I'm still stuck on my old Windows habits (don't shoot me for saying that). I'm getting there though, I promise.

You can use the migration assistant app to restore stuff from your Time Machine after clean install. Just make sure you are using another account when doing it (admin account named for example "admin").

Migration assistant can restore user accounts, files of your choosing etc..
 
If you had a Quicktime 7 Pro license key registered, Snow Leopard will retain your QT7 install in Applications -> Utilities. Otherwise, you get Quicktime X.

You don't get Quicktime 7 Pro unless you already had it in Leopard.

So... QT 7 pro is still better than Quicktime X? If QT X doesn't have a pro version, doesn't that mean it has all the pro features found int QT 7 pro?
 
So... QT 7 pro is still better than Quicktime X? If QT X doesn't have a pro version, doesn't that mean it has all the pro features found int QT 7 pro?

QT7 Pro has some features that QTX doesn't, but it depends on what you mean by "better." QTX is more of a dedicated movie player than QT7, so for playback it's superior. For tinkering with movies, QT7 Pro is better.

Most people aren't going to miss QT7.
 
Didn't read the rest of the posts, just posting my impressions.

Upgrade went smooth. I've had my Mac since 10.5.2 came out (Macbook Pro from Early 2008). Pre-unibody, 2.4GHz model with 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD.

I didn't note the HDD space before/after since, tbh, I didn't care all that much heh. But I'm sure I got space back, just like everyone else. My thoughts, listed:

1. Quicktime X is really nice. I'm digging it.
2. The new expose with minimized windows is really slick
3. The default right-click tone for the dock being white on black is way sexier
4. Most apps (like Mail) are just more polished
5. It's generally snappier in lots of things.
6. Waking from sleep is WAY faster now. So much better.

In general, it's just a really nice upgrade. The fact that they sat down and re-factored almost everything to use their own framework is simply awesome. I can stand behind that, since rarely businesses allow you to fix shitty code. I happily spent my $29 for it. :)
 
Didn't read the rest of the posts, just posting my impressions.

Upgrade went smooth. I've had my Mac since 10.5.2 came out (Macbook Pro from Early 2008). Pre-unibody, 2.4GHz model with 4GB of RAM and a 250GB HDD.

I didn't note the HDD space before/after since, tbh, I didn't care all that much heh. But I'm sure I got space back, just like everyone else. My thoughts, listed:

1. Quicktime X is really nice. I'm digging it.
2. The new expose with minimized windows is really slick
3. The default right-click tone for the dock being white on black is way sexier
4. Most apps (like Mail) are just more polished
5. It's generally snappier in lots of things.
6. Waking from sleep is WAY faster now. So much better.

In general, it's just a really nice upgrade. The fact that they sat down and re-factored almost everything to use their own framework is simply awesome. I can stand behind that, since rarely businesses allow you to fix shitty code. I happily spent my $29 for it. :)

to me it was kinda like paying 30 bucks for a service pack upgrade
 
It didnt really bother me cause I paid 10 bucks for it, but I know what you mean when you feel like you payed for a service pack, thats how I feel, but it really doesn't bother me that much. But then again I only spent 10..
 
I honestly feel like it's more than just an SP. But since I loosely work with software development, I guess I have a different perspective. And for $29 (and not even $29.99, actually $29), it's a steal. Sure, no new features, but a solid foundation to move forward on and hopefully towards a fully 64-bit future. :)
 
QT7 Pro has some features that QTX doesn't, but it depends on what you mean by "better." QTX is more of a dedicated movie player than QT7, so for playback it's superior. For tinkering with movies, QT7 Pro is better.

Most people aren't going to miss QT7.

Okay... maybe I should have been more specific about my needs. Can QT X record using built in mic like QT 7 Pro?
 
I must say I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about with this 'feels like a Service Pack' deal, do you feel the same way about Windows 7 vs Vista as well? Because W7 and SL are both tweaks upon an already existing, strong foundation.

In the case of SL a lot of that foundation was improved upon with the inclusion of OpenCL and lots of 64-bit code, along with Grand Central Dispatch doing it all behind the scenes.

Windows 7 added a new taskbar, jumplists and aero peek and the multi-monitor controls which are amazing usability improvements, something SL didn't much have to improve upon, but they did bits here and there with dock expose and other small ui tweaks.

You'd be crazy not to call either software huge upgrades to each respective product line, and the price of each offering has been very good, 29 for SL, or 49/99 for Win7 if you ordered early, and that's being generous because that offer no longer exists, but of course there is the fact that the 29$ SL pricing is only available to Leopard users officially, even though that DVD works exactly the same on Tiger machines, which is a full install, full retail license, instead of an upgrade license which Win7's prices were based on.
 
My old SR had 4GB for sure, I don't know what the limit was beyond that, but it was not limited to 3GB. I no longer have that one though.
 
I must say I have absolutely no idea what you guys are talking about with this 'feels like a Service Pack' deal, do you feel the same way about Windows 7 vs Vista as well? Because W7 and SL are both tweaks upon an already existing, strong foundation.

People tend to judge products by new features, not improvements to existing features. It's silly, especially since 10.6 costs $29, but it happens.

FWIW, I think Apple has a list of features they'd like to implement in OS X that would have been very hard to do without 10.6's plumbing changes.
 
took me an hour to install update but i did not get any new HD space.
 
I'm starting to get fed up with SL...It broke my activation for my Student Ed. of CS4 Web Premium...and my old ver. of CS3. I can't use EITHER. I'm going to have to do a straight out nuke of my drive and reinstall.
 
I would try the Adobe Cleaner script first, but of course a clean install is the best way to go.
 
anyone having problems with safari crashing after you do the ctrl + F to find something? it crashed more than 4 times already. I was looking for certain words in a game guide and it just crashes... =( never happened in leopard
 
I don't seem to be having any issues w/ Safari. I did a fresh install though so I haven't reinstalled any of the plugins like Adblock or Glims...

Will install today and let you know if I have any issues.
 
Glims works with very basic functionality... you have to run it in 32 bit mode and you get the 'unclose last tab' option back w/ CMD-Z. No options panes though.
 
Do it now! Really you won't regret it and it really doesn't take that long.

It took an hour and a half because my Macbooks optical drive is apparently dead. So I shared my Macbook pro's drive and did it via DVD sharing. :p
 
I don't seem to be having any issues w/ Safari. I did a fresh install though so I haven't reinstalled any of the plugins like Adblock or Glims...

Will install today and let you know if I have any issues.

hmmm safari seems to be crashing over and over again when on load and have 3-5 tabs open... i'll reinstall safari... see if that helps
 
Installed 10.6 yesterday morning. Clean install from Tiger and then migrating from an external bootable clone with system migration tools. I had to reinstall parallels and then macfuse+ntfs3g because parallels overwrites them with older versions.

Issues I've encountered:
- Forklift is broken
- USB Overdrive will not launch at startup, have to run the app before the changes to the mouse kick in. A 64bit SL release is on the way apparently.
- Adium will not display anything but Helvetica in the message window which is awful compared to Lucida Grande for readability at 10 and 11pt.
- Linkinus 2.0.1 is broken but 2.0 works.
- Finder was regularly using 100% or so CPU the first day rocketing my CPU temps to 100C and making the fans scream at full speed. Trashed the finder prefs and rebooted. Haven't noticed it since then.
- Perian doesn't work entirely with QuickTime X. Won't open anything in a mastroka (mkv) container and some of my h264/acc in mp4 containers won't play with any audio.
- Latest quicksilver is very slow. It is like Camino-2.1 pre alpha autocomplete location bar slow. Also crashes frequently.
- ZFS was dropped :(

Oh dialup joys. Macports will be downloading dependancies for days just to get my development stuff up and running again. :(

It can also be a limitation of the chipset -- like Santa Rosa (I think). Maxes out at 3GB's.

Chipsets prior to Santa Rosa have a 32bit memory controller and are limited. Santa Rosa was the first with a 64bit memory controller and can use 4gb+. I wouldn't be surprised if the systems with 32bit EFI are those with the 32bit memory controllers people are complaining about being unable to boot the 64bit kernel.

IIRC, Santa Rosa's limit is 8GB.

It is only the limited by the lack of availability of any dimms larger than 4gb each last I looked.
 
Last edited:
hmmm seems like i can't install safari cuz it says i need 10.5.8 leopard... is there a snow leopard version of safari or something?
 
Yeah... the one included with it? The download doesn't include the 64-bit binaries that SL uses.

You'll have to grab it off of the install DVD within the packages.
 
Yeah... the one included with it? The download doesn't include the 64-bit binaries that SL uses.

You'll have to grab it off of the install DVD within the packages.

hmmm ok i'll try that out... dunno why safari is acting up
 
Well, to cap my own thread, here are my impressions.

Upgraded tonight on my 13"MBP. It went fine, took about an hour and nothing was lost. Broke istats menu, but i got that working again with the beta. Overall, it feels the same. Some things appear to be a little slower here and there, but it's probably just me doing too much at once. I guess I'm unimpressed, just kinda stinks that nothing above the hood got tweaked. They should have added a new gui scheme so I could have drooled over something!
 
I must say a few days in now I'm still just totally floored with the speed I'm experiencing, everything is just instant, makes using my desktop feel slow..

I've got it tweaked the way I want it with menubar items, dock style, widgets, etc..

Spaces is just incredibly fast compared to how it was in Leopard, the new finder is great, as is the wifi enhancements.

I can't wait to upgrade to i7/P55 on my desktop so I can repurpose my desktop hardware into a media/exchange server running multiple VM's to get the most I can out of SL and my iPhone by keeping all my data in sync via Exchange.

I'm still annoyed by the base 10 counting and there seems to be no way to deal with it, so I guess I'll just try my best to ignore it.

I have yet to re-install Windows 7 on this machine since clearing it of the RC, but I have a ton more licenses available to me to install a full retail/rtm version on this machine in the next few days, which is when I'll try out the new bootcamp drivers and such.

I hope the Sept 9th event brings x64 iTunes with SL enhancements, it's one of the few apps left that isn't x64 on my machine.

Once VMWare Fusion gets x64-kernel compliant I'll make that my default booting kernel unless I find something that doesn't work correctly, then I'll go back to the way Apple set it up as x86 kernel with x64 apps running on top. (I understand the fact that this won't make a difference, but I have the option and I'd like to use it despite that my kernel should never have to address 4gb work of memory spaces by itself haha.)

I posted in the iStat/Growl thread that I have those working with the latest beta's, and they're just as they were before, working with all the apps I expect Growl too and showing me my CPU and MEM in my menubars like I had before.

I'm very excited by the results of the first SL/OpenCL benchmark that show that when the 9600M GT is chosen as the default GPU, that the 9400M is available to be used by OpenCL, and that Quicktime X uses it's h264 hardware encoding features even while the 9600M GT is chosen as the default GPU, it's about as close to a hybrid-SLI as OS X is going to get.

I still wish we could take advantage of the 9400M chipset and hybrid-SLI but I guess nVidia says that isn't going to happen, oh well.

I also wish we didn't have to log in and out to swap default GPU's on this model of MBP, oh well again, maybe it'll come in the point upgrades, but I doubt it for some reason.

I'm using Safari 4 more often just because it's so crazy fast, too bad I am currently unable to keep my bookmarks synced and learning the keyboard commands for Safari vs Firefox between machines is getting a bit annoying.

This doesn't feel like a 10.x.0 release to me, as 10.5.0 absolutely did feel like one (never experienced 10.4.0 as 10.4.6 was the default OS on my MacBook when I bought it in 2006), but it's a lot more polished, which I expect because they didn't focus on a huge number of new features but rather a whole new architecture/plumbing update which is where all these speed enhancements are from.

I'm one of the people who owned QTPro, so I've got that lying around for the media that QTX doesn't play, but I really do like the new interface and it's quick launch and low overhead.

I hope more apps come around besides Apples own that will take advantage of these new API's. I can't wait for the first game to be updated to use it, geez.
 
reading all this it seems like I might wait for 10.6.1. How much faster does the 64bit architecture make the system? I've been reading mixed reviews.
 
After a half day with SL, I'm ready to reinstall Leopard. Everything is super slow, from switching between spaces to typing things in word 2008. Very disappointed with the whole thing. Crossover 8.0 is giving me a ton of problems in OneNote, and none of it existed in Leopard. Grrrrrr
 
After a half day with SL, I'm ready to reinstall Leopard. Everything is super slow, from switching between spaces to typing things in word 2008.

Spotlight is indexing. Give it time.
 
Won't it show that on my system processes?

I installed it last night, it slept until this morning, and now it's been up and running for 2+ hours. Does it really take that much time?
 
Back
Top