Snow Leopard First Impressions

Because your hdd manufacturer ripped you off...

Code:
WDC WD3200BJKT-75F4T0:

Capacity:	320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 bytes)
  Model:	WDC WD3200BJKT-75F4T0

Err, my WD 320GB 7200RPM drive? as in just like yours?

That was in Leopard too...

Odd. It didn't work in Leopard (I remember trying it multiple times on accident after getting my iPhone). Perhaps a setting somewhere or an update I somehow missed along the way? Because I know it wasn't there in July/August timeframe when I tried.

Strange.

Odd. It didn't work in Leopard (I remember trying it multiple times on accident after getting my iPhone). Perhaps a setting somewhere or an update I somehow missed along the way? Because I know it wasn't there in July/August timeframe when I tried.

Strange.
If you are talking about when it comes to pictures in iPhoto, Previewer, and Safari then yes it has been there since Leopard. There is a possibility that you had turned it off in Leopard unknowingly and then the update to SL turned it back on. That or you don't have a unibody, if you had the older MacBooks that didnt have the multi-touch then you never had them. However you still don't have the 4 finger gestures that you get on the uMB, and uMBP.

Last edited:

Strange.

If you have an older non-unibody MacBook that had a multitouch-capable trackpad, then Snow Leopard added support for multitouch gestures for you.

If you have a unibody MacBook, then the gestures were there all along.

I don't know about you guys, and I've not really read this anywhere else... But I get alot more beachballs because of Safari in SL than I did in Leopard. When I do get the beachball, any music I'm listening to stops, icon animations stop and everything, but it's not a hardlock. I usually have Safari, Adium, Mail, iTunes, Transmission, and sometimes iCal running at the same time, but I had the same computing habits when I had Leopard, never fazed it. Is this anyone else or just me?

Me too, i notice more beachballs. Hope these issues are fixed in 10.6.1. I have to use the generic printer driver to make my printer work and i can't use my dymo labelwriter until dymo releases v8.2 software and drivers. I do notice quicker boots, shutdowns, and unmountings.

I just had my first beach ball in safari, since I got SL last week but was weird I only had 4 tabs open, and the only other programs that were running were Skype, Mail, and Word. It was odd to say the least, but then again I was trying to access the ASUS website and for some reason that site always crashes my browsers whether I be on my Mac or my desktop.

Is this anyone else or just me?

I've seen a dramatic reduction in beachball appearances. Make sure that you aren't running any software that might conflict with Snow Leopard in the background. For example, even though Growl 1.1.6 will basically function in Snow Leopard, it apparently throws up so many console errors that it causes mayhem in the background. Same with smcFanControl.

Remove any non-updated software (Multiclutch is another) and see if things improve.

Did the upgrade from Leopard to Snow Leopard. Had a few problems, the biggest of which is that any time I would download a file or save an image with Safari or Firefox, both programs would crash. Never could fix it.

Another problem is that SL won't see any of my other networked computers. With Leopard, they would show up in the side bar automatically. Now they don't no matter what I do.

Decided to do a wipe and reinstall. That fixed the crashing problem but the machines not showing up under Shared still exists.

I like it so far. Only one issue has crept up. When I use the Adobe Flash Video Encoder from CS3 it randomly goes to a black screen after it finishes. I have no idea why. I just hit escape to get out of it. Still haven't figured out what exactly is going on, but hardly a huge issue.

I was getting a ton of beachballs in Safari too, so I did a clean install of SL. Still getting beachballs in Safari all the time. I'll try disabling smcFancontrol and growl, and will post if that seems to help.

I have no problems with Safari once so ever, this is actually the first time I've started using it over Firefox and I'm enjoying it. I do not have smc installed (yet) and I've never used growl or istats.

I was getting a ton of beachballs in Safari too, so I did a clean install of SL. Still getting beachballs in Safari all the time. I'll try disabling smcFancontrol and growl, and will post if that seems to help.

seems like the beachballs worked themselves out for me by themselves. However... playing .mkv files take a while with vlc. Took a good 30 seconds to load up the video file. before SL the video loaded on the spot with vlc. dunno why its a problem now

seems like the beachballs worked themselves out for me by themselves. However... playing .mkv files take a while with vlc. Took a good 30 seconds to load up the video file. before SL the video loaded on the spot with vlc. dunno why its a problem now

I'm having the same issues with VLC. I'm about 95% sure it's the app itself: since the 1.0 release, VLC has been acting up and generally not to standard.

Movist and Quicktime X, however, are just fine.

I know they are working on a new update to VLC for the mac, not sure when it will be out.

I'm having the same issues with VLC. I'm about 95% sure it's the app itself: since the 1.0 release, VLC has been acting up and generally not to standard.

Movist and Quicktime X, however, are just fine.

guess i'll be watching stuff on quicktime X for now until vlc gets fixed for SL

Are there any real advantages to vlc over quicktime x? I haven't bothered installing vlc since I made the switch. Is there any reason to?

I've been using SL since Monday and have only had one issue where Photo Booth crashed unexpectedly. I think I had just picked an Effect and the program briefly froze and gave me a beach ball (only for a second or two), before the entire program closed out. Then of course I got the pop-up explaining the program had crashed and asked if I wanted to send an error report.

Recently I have been getting more beach balls after updating to 10.6.1 with safari.
And my wifi issue hasnt stopped...

Last edited:
I had my first disappointing experience with Snow Leopard over the weekend. I'll just start right off by saying this is fairly minor, but just something I wish wasn’t the case. I have a Canon VIXIA HF100 HD digital camcorder which records AVCHD format videos. Now I knew while Leopard was out, when you imported videos into iMovie it would automatically convert the videos to a more familiar format. I had no problem with that, and it was all I knew on the topic, since prior to getting my MBP my OSX experience was limited to mainly using Photoshop, Dreamweaver, and a few other applications. I never touched iMove, or any program from the iLife suite.

Anyway, I was hoping Snow Leopard would play my AVCHD videos, but it turned out to not be the case. Preview won’t play them, Quick Time won’t as well, and only iMovie will let me watch them, only after I import them straight from the camera, and it’s converted into the .mov format. The weird thing is (and maybe I could just be doing this wrong), if I have copy one of my video files onto my Mac from the network, copying it off the camcorder without syncing via iMovie, etc., if I try to import the file (off the computer) in iMovie, I can’t. The file is grayed out and can’t be selected. I was only able to do it by actually importing straight from the camera. Again, maybe I missed a step, but it just seems weird to me.

Not to turn this into one of “those” threads, I was just disappointed because I’ve been running the Windows 7 RC on my desktop, and it handles AVCHD files natively, and even uses the GPU for decoding the videos. This is of course great since I have a single core CPU, and under XP the video studders a lot, since you really need at least a dual core CPU for HD playback. Under 7 I double click one of my videos, Windows Media Player opens up, and things are fine. Even Windows Movie Maker (which is now out of beta) handles AVCHD videos just fine, without having to convert them first. Unfortunately WMM doesn’t seem to use the GPU like WMP, and plus I think iMovie is much better anyway.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is native AVCHD support would have been nice, though I understand some third party software is available, to remedy this issue. It’s just nice to have it work right out of the box. Plus it would be nice if iMovie didn’t have to convert the videos, just so I can use them. I think Final Cut Express does the same thing too, but I could be wrong.

Other then that I grabbed that latest update and haven’t had any issues, except for the Photo Booth crash I posted about a couple days ago.

Back