Snow Leopard Disk Management

Drunken_King

Weaksauce
Hello everyone. The last couple of days i reformatted a 250GB WD Scorpio I bought for my MacBook and as everyone knows you don't get the space that is advertised. So I install Leopard and it shows only 237GB as the max capacity but when I install Leopard it actually shows the full 250GB. How does Snow Leopard allow the whole usage of the advertised space? I tried to install it on a windows machine again only 237 Max Capacity. Is the FS on Snow Leopard different than Leopard to allow full usage of the drive?

Well, go to the storage section and they have a faq on it.

Super short answer (as far as I can tell): OSX is reading 1MB = 1000 bytes as opposed to 1024 bytes.
There is no greater or lesser usage in OSX as compared to Windows.

Hello everyone. The last couple of days i reformatted a 250GB WD Scorpio I bought for my MacBook and as everyone knows you don't get the space that is advertised. So I install Leopard and it shows only 237GB as the max capacity but when I install Leopard it actually shows the full 250GB. How does Snow Leopard allow the whole usage of the advertised space? I tried to install it on a windows machine again only 237 Max Capacity. Is the FS on Snow Leopard different than Leopard to allow full usage of the drive?

Snow Leopard counts in base 10 just like the hard drive manufacturers do, not base 2 as computers (and Microsoft) have tended to do. So the space reported by Snow Leopard will align with the advertised space: if the HDD box says 500GB, Snow Leopard will too. Of course, subtract file system overhead and OS install footprint from that total.

My MacBook has a 250GB hard drive, and Snow Leopard reports its total space as 249.72GB.

Snow Leopard counts in base 10 just like the hard drive manufacturers do, not base 2 as computers (and Microsoft) have tended to do. So the space reported by Snow Leopard will align with the advertised space: if the HDD box says 500GB, Snow Leopard will too. Of course, subtract file system overhead and OS install footprint from that total.

My MacBook has a 250GB hard drive, and Snow Leopard reports its total space as 249.72GB.

Yep, they use a different numbering system.. It doesn't mean you get more space, all of your files will just be slightly bigger.

Back