Snow Leopard contains antivirus software

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
http://blog.intego.com/2009/08/25/snow-leopard-contains-an-antivirus/

Thought this was interesting. I'm curious to know what technology it's using. Knowing Apple, I'm gonna guess it's something wrapped around an open-source project, probably ClamAV. Also wondering why they hid this fact for so long...

(And here comes the accusations of Macs needing AV after all. Of course, Apple would also get slammed if this didn't do this. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.)

It's not antivirus, it's anti-malware. (Yeah, there's a difference.) There aren't any freely-propagating viruses on OS X, so while this can probably be used against viruses in the event that they somehow appear, it looks like the intent of this feature is to protect against local exploits, which is really the only known way OS X can be compromised. Think of it like Windows Defender, just transparent.

Anyway, we know it's not ClamAV, so it's either homebrew or silently contracted from a third party. My guess is homebrew, because I don't think Apple would outsource something as integrated as this.

I would say its at least a start in the right direction and as for the fan boy bashing, they seriously need to grow up as they are essentially one in the same as the mac people they despise.

Back