SNMP

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by BigTy, Oct 27, 2014.

1. BigTy

BigTy Gawd

Does anyone have a good SNMP software that can recommend? I want to monitor my ERL and Tough switch.

2. /usr/home

/usr/home [H]ardness Supreme

3. Liquidkristal

Liquidkristal [H]ardness Supreme

this

/thread

4. boss99

boss99 2[H]4U

5. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

I concur.

I'm actually using it to monitor several ERLs, an ER8, a bunch of ER5-POEs, and some ToughSwitches.

6. iroc409

iroc409 [H]ard|Gawd

Zabbix? Nagios (+Cacti, and all the Nagios tools)? Graylog? PRTG? The Dude? Splunk? Spiceworks? There are like 400,000,000,000 network monitoring tools that do syslog & SNMP--which sucks, because it's hard to choose! :)

I'd probably try Observium or Zabbix. I plan to setup Zabbix, one of these days...

7. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

My work place is looking into this and has it implemented for internal stuff. It does look pretty awesome. They have lot of servers and Cisco stuff on it right now.

8. Kert

Kert n00b

I have been checking Observium.

The main goal I want is to be able to see Traffic Bandwitdh. How much each PC downloaded and uploaded in a small (17 PCs) business network.

Is observium correct decision for me? I was planning to work it out with pfSense.

Where should I install it? I cant install it on my server which is windows 2003.

http://i60.tinypic.com/j0e3jn.png
    http://www.image-share.com/ijpg-2728-181.html

Please check my diagrams above.

9. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

You should ditch that Windows garbage and put in a real server, running Ubuntu or RedHat.:D

10. Kert

Kert n00b

our ERP is not supported by linux. :)

any more feedbacks about my previous message?

11. wizdum

wizdum [H]ard|Gawd

Get a better ERP system.

Set up observium on a little linux box (maybe even an RPi) or VM somewhere on your LAN where you are comfortable having SNMP traffic. I only allow read access, so i'm not too concerned about security, but I still keep it on our management network. You will want to make sure that your windows clients or switches support SNMP. I know windows servers do, but i'm not sure about workstations. Observium logs data from our Windows servers very nicely.

Alternatively, Spiceworks runs on Windows. Not sure if it will give you the information that you need or not.

12. FLECOM

FLECOM Modder(ator) & [H]ardest Folder Evar Staff Member

13. Red Squirrel

Red Squirrel [H]ardForum Junkie

I'm not familiar enough with it myself I just saw the front end. Next time I'm at work I'll check if it has traffuc graphing. I think it does.

14. Crotan

Crotan Gawd

Observium is pretty widely recommended. I've also used Zenoss (Free version not commercial) for a heavier snmp setup, with the email/texting alarming and and some more custom snmp charts.

If It could all be done again, Observium all the way. Wish their email alerts were in the free edition though. The new netdisco has some Observium plugins as well, that I haven't checked out, but saw.

15. Jay_2

Jay_2 2[H]4U

If you use cacti with weather map you could have a live view weather map.

16. Crotan

Crotan Gawd

I think they all use rrdtool based charts, thats how I make weathermaps from zenoss snmp data.

Pretty sure Observirum is just the same, could symlink their rrd generated files for some phpweather map fun.

17. Jay_2

Jay_2 2[H]4U