SNMP Questions

killerasp

Gawd
Hey all.

Well, i managed to setup MRTG on my network and its monitoriing my load balancer:

graph.png

Well thats fine and dandy. I set this up on a Win32 box and it works well. Im a noob when it comes to SNMP on win32 box. I would imagine id be able to montior multiple SNMP enabled devices on my network from this machine. I wont go into details b/c it might get overboard. But i would imagine id be able to monitor as many devices i want, correct?

Right now im using MOM 2005 and some demo 3rd party software for monitoring but im looking into openNMS to centralize my alert system.

We use MRTG to monitor switch port and serial interfaces from about 40 devices. I think your only limit will be hardware and diskspace, but MRTG is pretty light weight.

OpenNMS rocks!

MRTG isn't all that heavy, yeah. You should be able to monitor quite a bit of stuff.

Take a look at SICM it'll combine MRTG along with RRD to push past the 95%, the SICM page also has a beefy zip with several hundred MIB's all ready to go for most devices that can talk SNMP v1 or v2.

I recently moved from plain MRTG over to SICM with MiniApache to simplify things and its been a big improvement (running on a low end box in the basement).

Hope that helps.

Back