Sniper Games or good FPS

Shakezilla

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got done playing Sniper Elite and had a good time.
Anyone know any other sniperish FPS?

Thanks

sniper is not that good in tf2....if u want the sneaky hide and charge up ur shot and beam someone real fast and hide again....go for it, but no one likes those people

........i think the sniping is way too slow in TF2.....if u want fast paced sniping, its the wrong game

if u want fast paced sniping

:confused::confused: Sounds like an oxymoron. I think you're both on the wrong path of recommendations for this guy. If you know anything about Sniper Elite, the game relies a lot on patience and stealth, and TF2 is NOT a tactical game.

OP, are you looking for a single player experience, or multi player?

:confused::confused: Sounds like an oxymoron. I think you're both on the wrong path of recommendations for this guy. If you know anything about Sniper Elite, the game relies a lot on patience and stealth, and TF2 is NOT a tactical game.

OP, are you looking for a single player experience, or multi player?
'

Probably Single Player, something to play in my free time when I am bored or my internet goes out.

I love the sniping concept too, and while I've only tried out Sniper Elite briefly I did enjoy it. The first (real) sniper mission in COD4 is brilliant. But, the rest of the game while captivating doesn't fit your bill.

Sniper Elite was a blast!

Before that one I played WWII sniper...it was pretty fun, not too old. Also there is Deadly Dozen and Deadly Dozen: Pacific Theater (im pretty sure thats what is was called)

Check those WWII themed games out...pretty open-world and you have to very patient. In both games I believe you could chose a squad from 2 to 6 and their loadouts, with the second game loadout's being more detailed including weight/stamina. What was even cooler was that you could play as all of the squadmates. A little older game but not too bad ;)

I wish there was something recent that is close to Sniper Elite...

BF2 is fun for sniping. It's sorta hard to get the hang of with the leader but maybe that's because i'm used to AWPing in CSS.

COD4: yes it is a traditional FPS, but the single player game has some great Sniper missions, and if you're a good sniper you can have a GREAT time in multiplayer- you just have to be good at stealth and patience

I would agree. COD4 is awesome when it comes to sniper missions. Also in mutiplayer the sniper owns. But you have to find a good place to hide :). Otherwise you get knifed in the ass :(.

Even though SOF Payback was a bust in the MP aspect from us fans, I personally loved the SP. Great graphics, awesome gore and the foliage also masks you. As far as snipering there, there are TONS of outdoor maps with jungle themes as well (very dense foliage) and you do get to pick your weapons including the various sniper rifles including the Barret BMG for you 50 cal lovers. Honestly though, Ive played "sniper" in most of my FPS games; COD's, MOH's, BF2, Crysis, FarCry, SOF1/2/Payback, so I suppose they ALL could be considered "sniping games" -at least the ones I listed.

Ahh, there is one more good one to sniper at, its a bit older of a game'; Black Hawk Down(s) and Joint Operations, Marine Sharpshooter (its OK) and Delta Force. Alot of desert but there is alot of Jungles as well on the variants of the game. Tons of snipering joy but the foliage doesn't mask your presents if I remember. You pick your missions and weaponry.

If you want some game play vids or screenies of Payback I can reinstall it and show you a bit of the game. Also with the Goul Technology or what it was replaced with, what you shoot reacts life like. You pop the top of someones head, you end up with half a head with brains falling out. Shoot them in the stomach and here comes the intestines, etc.

EDIT: Hell the more I think about it, Payback would probably be some of the most challenging fun you'd have in a FPS, if you want to try it w/o buying Ill send you a DL link. The jungles are similar to Crysis as far as density and realism the Ai is similar to FEAR or Rainbow Six Lockdown, somewhere in there.

I am glad someone asked this, as I have been hunting decent sniper games as well. Preferably single rather than multi player, as I don't always have time to play with others.

A couple years ago, I bought some $10 sniper game that did nothing but hang every time I attempted to shoot. It sucked really badly, but I couldn't get my money back because I had already opened the package. Sometimes I wish I bought a shrink wrap machine.

a few of the ghost recons have good sniper missions...

but there isnt a kick ass title that is 100 sniping

Being a sniper in BF2142 is pretty fun, you can hide somwhere for a good amount of time before being raped from behind thanks to the stupid UAV.

The last sniping I had a lot of fun doing was Tribes 1. Skiing plus mid air rail gun sniping was classic.

Last time I seriously played ut99 a couple years ago, I remember a handful of sniping maps/servers. Basically they were large custom maps with lots of areas to hide/sneak around. It was meant to be slow paced, and you could easily spend 5-15 minutes slowing moving your way across the ledges, searching the map for someone with their head sticking out. The maps were actually well designed with quite a few players (16-20) that took it seriously. If you just went running around you would never see anyone and get your head taken off in probably 5 seconds. Maybe I'll fire up ut tonight and see if anyone's still playing.

If you liked Sniper elite then I suggest the Hidden and Dangerous games.

Here's a quick youtube video of H&D2 sniping:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-ssDHK1H4fg

I also would highly suggest Operation flashpoint, or perhaps the newer "Armed Assault" game.

Couple of quick youtube videos of armed assault sniping action:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ia_nYatAvVk
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZgjDDkezdDo

For multiplayer, I would also suggest highly Red Orchestra: Ostfront. It has one of the best implementations of sniper scopes in an mp game imo. The game is a lot more realistic then most shooters (no crosshairs, must use iron sights, etc). The only thing is that the sniper-class is generally restricted to one per team for each map and it's generally a rush to get it, so you might not play as one for a while. It's like that for many classes to keep the general loadout more realistic (IE so you don't have a whole team of snipers/MG's, but rather mostly riflemen with a sniper/mg and a few assault guns).

A youtube video of the sniping from RO:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=JjHM1h1MXnI

Whaaah, nobody suggests CS:source? Dude, with those guns and some of those custom maps... hard to beat.

Otherwise, I totally disagree that TF2 isnt a good sniper game... and as far as tactics go, it is totally a tactics game. Sure, its a different type of tactics (but totally about teamwork and classes that compliment each other and the map you are in at the time), and I find sniping to be a totally fast paced event (try the orange_x map), although no, there is no 'holding your breath' or 'multiple scopes', and there is only the one sniper rifle. I play as sniper more often than anything in that game, and on the 'sniper style maps' I have about a 20:1 kill ratio. With that ratio, things get rather fast paced... I have to have my headshots planned out in order when I take on 3 other snipers at once... but its easily possible to take out 3-5 enemies in a row (as in, before anyone else can score). In TF2, with snipers, its pretty fun if you get good at it... you can literally control an entire map sometimes by picking off the enemies faster than they can spawn/come out of their base. When I first started TF2, I thought snipers were pretty weak... truth is, all the classes are weak in their own way because there is very little overlap in class capability... its not like CS where you have multiple rifles that are similar or something, you know? But thats what keeps the game good... in other games where people end up getting really good to the point that they can snipe with AK's or Deagles pretty well... in TF2 you just cant... you need to be a sniper for long range, or demo man to shoot over walls/corners, etc. The better you get, you learn to compensate for each classes drawbacks and then you can use your sniper rifle point blank pretty well, or go one-on-one with a heavy close-up with your machete. But flat out, I love sniping in TF2 better than any other game.

a few of the ghost recons have good sniper missions...

but there isnt a kick ass title that is 100 sniping

+1 for that Ghost Recon 1 you could pretty much be a sniper about 95% of the time if you wanted.

I've not yet seen one good and realistic sniping game.

They really need to bring out a sniping game where you can buy your way up to different guns (and where the inherent accuracy of the gun is slightly random), upgrade components (better scope, re-barreling, new action, etc...), and so on. You could then take your gun to the target range and figure out your bullet drop over varying distances, while trying your own custom loads with different weighted bullets and grains of powder. Then, take the gun on varying sniper missions (or hell, even hunting). That would be awesome :).

COD2 has some HUUUUUGE custom map servers for rifles only.... Always packed too...
I'm not patient enough for sniping, but I did find myself playing those maps a few times, and it was a blast for the first 30min or so...:)

Last time I seriously played ut99 a couple years ago, I remember a handful of sniping maps/servers. Basically they were large custom maps with lots of areas to hide/sneak around. It was meant to be slow paced, and you could easily spend 5-15 minutes slowing moving your way across the ledges, searching the map for someone with their head sticking out. The maps were actually well designed with quite a few players (16-20) that took it seriously. If you just went running around you would never see anyone and get your head taken off in probably 5 seconds. Maybe I'll fire up ut tonight and see if anyone's still playing.

Definetly. They have/had servers dedicated to sniping only, with badass maps. My guyss is that there's still a decent community... Hell, I played Unreal at some point last year and there were still 500 or so players out there in DM alone.

I've not yet seen one good and realistic sniping game.

They really need to bring out a sniping game where you can buy your way up to different guns (and where the inherent accuracy of the gun is slightly random), upgrade components (better scope, re-barreling, new action, etc...), and so on. You could then take your gun to the target range and figure out your bullet drop over varying distances, while trying your own custom loads with different weighted bullets and grains of powder. Then, take the gun on varying sniper missions (or hell, even hunting). That would be awesome :).

Thats probably where most people would feel that the realism was getting in the way of the fun. Although I personally love that idea.:cool:

It would be sweet to see a more realistic sniper game.

Where you are like tasked with various missions to take out certain people and it's your choice how you wish to approach the guy, by which direction/area, getting info on where he goes and his location and then just hiding out and waiting for your time with your spotter there as well. I don't even think there's been a sniper game that had the spotter role included, they always make it seem like a sniper is a one man role when generally it's two people.

It would be sweet to see a more realistic sniper game.

Where you are like tasked with various missions to take out certain people and it's your choice how you wish to approach the guy, by which direction/area, getting info on where he goes and his location and then just hiding out and waiting for your time with your spotter there as well. I don't even think there's been a sniper game that had the spotter role included, they always make it seem like a sniper is a one man role when generally it's two people.

You could sort of do a spotter role in Ghost Recon. Set up your sniper team with a second man usually a rifleman. Give him binoculars and then toggle between the two in the field. When you're spotting with the rifleman the AI snipes. When you're sniping the AI covers you.

The problem with letting the AI snipe (or cover), is that AI is horrible. I don't need my cover blown because I switch from snipe to rifleman in order to check what's going on.

Back