SNES Classic Will Be Available for Pre-Order This Month, Honest

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Nintendo has taken to Facebook to reassure everyone that pre-orders for the SNES Classic will open late this month, following the Walmart fiasco in which a "technical glitch" made the console available ahead of its on-sale date. The miniature system will be available on September 29 and cost $80 (but who knows what the scalpers will charge).

We appreciate the incredible anticipation that exists for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System: Super NES Classic Edition system, and can confirm that it will be made available for pre-order by various retailers late this month. A significant amount of additional systems will be shipped to stores for launch day, and throughout the balance of the calendar year.

No thanks. I'm not supporting their efforts after what they did with the mNES. Build tons of hype, purposely cause a scalpers mentality when "no comment" is their answer to how many will be made then abruptly halt sales for anyone who were patient.

Can't wait. Nintendo said they will be releasing much more. Hopefully this will be true.
I hope so, because I will be setting up an Ebay store just for the victims of this second round of hype!

On a more serious note, no way in hell that I will bother with this hype crap.

Besides, emulators have served me well.

Can't wait. Nintendo said they will be releasing much more. Hopefully this will be true.

It can very well be true. All they have to do is produce one more unit than they did of the NES classic, haha.

Thanks to the blunder that was the NES Classic, I already have a fully loaded Pi with all the retro consoles/games I wanted.

Never have I seen a company behave so stupidly.

"Lets make a product that many people want, then lets make it very limited and stop selling it , thus making it valuable for the second hand sellers of which we see zero profit!"

Great business idea....

It may also be that there are a lot more people wanting to buy the SNES Mini than there were the NES Classic, because it's a better system, better games, more people played it, and now everybody has expectations of being able to flip them for profit.

Hopefully, Nintendo delivers way more to stores to exceed not just the NES Classic, but the likely-greater number of anticipating customers.

Have they even said what games are going to be on this system?

September 29 for $80
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Donkey Kong Country
  • EarthBound
  • Final Fantasy III
  • F-ZERO
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Mega Man X
  • Secret of Mana
  • Star Fox
  • Star Fox 2
  • Street Fighter II Turbo: Hyper Fighting
  • Super Castlevania IV
  • Super Ghouls ’n Ghosts
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
  • Super Mario World
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Punch-Out!!

Never have I seen a company behave so stupidly.

"Lets make a product that many people want, then lets make it very limited and stop selling it , thus making it valuable for the second hand sellers of which we see zero profit!"

Great business idea....

That's always been my issue with them, they seem to suck at supply/demand forecasting. On top of that, they're too rigid to pivot to meet an unforecasted supply.

I think I'll try to get one. I do have a Pi and it works well. However, this would make a nice Christmas gift.
If I do get one and the inventory fiasco happens again, it will make a nice Xmas gift from someone else when they buy it from me on Ebay :) Either way is fine with me.
(I've never actually owned a Nintendo product so the games have no meaning to me. I do like a few on the last as I've played before - but not enough to go too crazy over.)

These are already on pre order in NZ ($139 NZD) and the UK, already got mine ordered so I can show minime the old games. Just a shame I sold off my SNES and NES when I left the UK.

That's always been my issue with them, they seem to suck at supply/demand forecasting. On top of that, they're too rigid to pivot to meet an unforecasted supply.

I know. Stupid. Not only do they piss people off, they don't make money. Idiots

These are already on pre order in NZ ($139 NZD) and the UK, already got mine ordered so I can show minime the old games. Just a shame I sold off my SNES and NES when I left the UK.
Depends on where you are now, some regions the TV themselves were incompatible with the NES/SNES (PAL/NTSC etc).

Nintendo treats the video game market as if it were an extension of the toy market. The stunts Nintendo pulls in terms of supply, among other things, are common from toy companies. At least for the SNES Classic Nintendo has been up front in saying when they will stop production of the system (end of the year) instead of just leaving everything up in the air.

If I get one, great! If not, that's fine. I won't pay scalpers by I won't justify piracy either. I enjoyed the memories it made during my childhood, that is good enough.

Back