Sneakernet?

Morlock

Limp Gawd
Are there any remote hosts or other online providers that will "burn" data onto a thumb drive or even a BRD or whatever and snail mail it to the customer? Preferably a thumb drive that I can re-use for the purpose?

Are you talking like online backup companies?

Where, if you pay them, they'll burn your backup to a hard drive and mail you the drive?

If so, you're probably thinking something like Crashplan's "Restore to Door" service. Costs $165 (above your subscription fee) and they'll mail you a drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I mean I rent a server, control it via Teamviewer or whatever, download stuff from the Internet onto the server, then get that downloaded stuff sent to me via snail mail.

There are usually local companies that will rent you rack space and bandwidth if you want to supply your own hardware. In most cases you'll need to provide your own firewall for VPN access to the box as well.

Haha, someone's trying to download some shady shit. Or just on a metered connection. But the former is more fun to believe.

Haha, someone's trying to download some shady shit. Or just on a metered connection. But the former is more fun to believe.

Given our policy hear on discussing certain subjects, until the OP says otherwise, I'm going to assume he's not planning on doing anything that would violate any laws and has legitimate reasons for this need. I would appreciate it everyone else would do the same and not speculate.

Or just on a metered connection.

I'm surprised it was confined to just the one comment.

No, not a metered connection. Just a really crappy one. This is confirmed in several posts I've made here before now.

There are usually local companies that will rent you rack space and bandwidth if you want to supply your own hardware. In most cases you'll need to provide your own firewall for VPN access to the box as well.

Meaning, I can go in and swap out the drive whenever I want to get the data out. I know nothing about this. Could I use my notebook and external drive for this purpose? Or does "rack space" mean I need something with a specific form factor? Now that I think about it, I think the notebook is wireless-only, unless I can use the USB.

Meaning, I can go in and swap out the drive whenever I want to get the data out. I know nothing about this. Could I use my notebook and external drive for this purpose? Or does "rack space" mean I need something with a specific form factor? Now that I think about it, I think the notebook is wireless-only, unless I can use the USB.

They usually go by the term colo (short for colocation) and you can put whatever you want there. You'll definitely need a wired connection, but whatever device you want to put there is usually fine. Most people put in rack mount equipment but they usually have "shelf" locations as well. They'll assign a public IP to you and you'll need some type of VPN appliance. Most decent sized communities have one and costs can vary pretty greatly.

As far as I know, there's nothing out there that'll allow you to run a server (virtual or otherwise) and mail you the contents on an ad hoc basis.

Probably be easier to find someone or a place of business that has a better connection and take a laptop there.

Actually I'm surprised this is not a thing, lot of people have really crappy connections but would probably pay to do some of their big data downloading remotely then have it sent to them physically. Like backing up their web server(s) and then having the backups sent to their house.

But question is, is your existing connection unlimited? If it is, you can probably just setup some kind of QoS and have it happen while not killing your connection. It might take a day, 10 days, a month? But if it's not limited then it will eventually finish and you don't have to worry about a huge bill.

Big, nationwide type companies probably won't do what you're asking, but some local IT companies can amaze you on the customized services they will offer.

Back