Sneak peek at R700 (aka 4870x2)

I knew I made the right choice when I went to great length to hunt down a PSU that had 2 pairs of 6+8 pins.

Those are some sweet bold red letters and awesome looking dotted black line box around it.

Google cache ftw

r7001bigmt0.jpg

r7002bigdp5.jpg

Damn that looks really slick!
It's a shame that ATI can't squeeze this card out sooner. If they were launching it with the single 4870 then they would easily crush Nvidia with the price/performance this thing offers.

Interesting cooler design that's for sure.

Needs moar benchmarks :D

Though that's an impressively small PCB for a dual-GPU solution.

I am really hoping this card benches well, I want this puppy CF in my next rig and am holding off my build till august/sept because of it.

Hmm only a 6pin and a 8pin power, the same as a single 4870. Either AMD/ATI managed to make the 4870x2 more power efficient or it will be at much lower clock than 4870.
Could this be a 4850x2 maybe?

4850 and 4870 are the exact same chips. The only thing that changes is that the clockspeed gets bumped up a bit and GDDR5 added instead of GDDR3.

Hmm only a 6pin and a 8pin power, the same as a single 4870. Either AMD/ATI managed to make the 4870x2 more power efficient or it will be at much lower clock than 4870.
Could this be a 4850x2 maybe?

Rumoured max power draw is around 250w for the X2, so a total delivery capacity of 300w is ample (and that's without circumventing the 75w PCI-E limitation, which I hear is possible). What the actual draw under peak gaming load will be is another matter, although ATi have tended to be pretty accurate with TDP figures (nV quote higher values than are obtained in real usage - 3870 TDP is lower than 8800GT, but actually draws a smidge more under load)
I'd guess that if the 4870 does sport both 8 and 6-pin connectors, it will be because it affords the flexibility to power it with either 1x8 or 2x6.

Forget what I said earlier (post #26) my memory was playing tricks on me. Thought I remembered both a 6pin and a 8pin power on 4870, after looking at some pics it's clearly two 6pin power so a 4870x2 should be fine with one 6pin and one 8pin power. So it sure does look like a 4870x2 in the pics. Love the looks of that card, sure looks sweet with a black board.

Back