• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

SnapRaid vs Storage Spaces vs FlexRaid

Joined
Sep 6, 2011
Messages
56
Not sure quite what to go with.

I have 4x 2TB drives and a win 10 PC.
Looking to get as much space, as well as a 1 disk redundancy.

Looking for something easy to manage. I spend enough time fixing PC's during the day that I don't want to mess around with my PC.
 
I spend enough time fixing PC's during the day that I don't want to mess around with my PC.

I say that SnapRAID is very simple and easy to manage. I have not had any real problems at all in the 2 or so years I have used in on my linux based pvr system. I do have 2 parity drives (with my 6 data disks of 2 to 5 TB). I use 4TB external drives for the parity. Yes I know the parity drives have to be as large as the biggest data disk. I am not yet using all of the 5TB disk (and I could use the 1TB extra for a different purpose).
 
Is there a good quick guide to SnapRaid? I have heard good things so was already leaning toward it.
 
Is there a good quick guide to SnapRaid? I have heard good things so was already leaning toward it.

Download it and get the GUI (Elucidite). I would say if you can't muddle through it (it is simple), then it might not be the system for you. Also...is your data static or not? If you are adding/deleting data every day...snapraid is not the best choice.
 
Hmm, I have 2x systems I need to do this for. 1x of them the data will be static, changing infrequently. The other will have steam installed on the drive, so data will change regularly.
 
Hmm, I have 2x systems I need to do this for. 1x of them the data will be static, changing infrequently. The other will have steam installed on the drive, so data will change regularly.
If you do 2 separate systems that is alright.

That why the one that changes more if it does crash it won't bugger the static data. I was planning on doing the same thing. Static files like movies, back ups, photos, and so on, on a single SnapRAID. Then do another with Steam back ups.
 
Back
Top