SN95G5 and BFG 6800GT Problems

profire

n00b
I just got my first shuttle and put in a BFG 6800gt. I am having problems with getting video after windows goes thru it's load screen. The system boots up but the screen looks crazy and is almost unreadable. When windows is finished loading and the desktop starts to come up everything goes black.

I am now on my third vid card from BFG. I thought this was a video card issue because I have seen other systems posted here that are similar to mine and did not see that there were any problems.

I have a full tower with a 600 watt psu and have tested the card there and it works fine. I have updated the bios for the shuttle to the latest one, I have tried different memory modules and still no luck. Any help out there....please.

Another note.... I have an old BFG FX 5200 and I tried that and it works fine. The problem is that thing sucks as far as gaming goes and that is what I built this pc for.

System specs.
Shuttle SN95G5 V3
BFG 6800GT OC
AMD 3200+ Rev. E
1gig OCZ platinum Rev 2
Maxtor 100 gig 7200rpm HD
Lite-On DVD/CD Rewrite

Just a guess, but it may be a driver or service issue with the card. Have you tried just going into safe mode and disabling all of the start up services that are non-critical ? If so have you tried a live cd of Linux or a boot cd to test whether this occurs in those. If so of course try it in the other machines, but I think you already did that. Also check the BIOS to ensure that there are not any funky settings like write caching or the onboard card causing some trouble. These of course are all guesses, but worth a try.

-iToast

Ok, things are better but still not up to par. I used driver cleaner pro (this was suggested from a member here in which I pm'd) this helped alot ! Video seems to be working fine now but my 3dMark 05 scores are still low in my mind (4600 3dMark05). I was getting around 5500 with the same memory, a socket 754 AMD 3000+, and a DFI Lanparty 250 board.

I checked my memory timings and they were set to CAS 2.5, 8,4,2,2. My memory can run at 2,2,2,5 with 1T cmd rate. I changed the timings to 2,2,2,5 1T cmd and ran 3dmark 05 again. Thinking the scores would be better I was shocked when they came in at 3300. This is weired stuff. Anybody have any suggestions on memory timings. Now that my video card seems to be performing could this be a bad motherboard, power supply fluctuation etc. ?

Thanks for any input.

Back