SN25P with LeadTek 7800 GTX problem

Hello,

Right, so I have installed the (Leadtek) 7800 GTX into my SN25P and immediately ran into the problem of the card not getting enough power to work at 100% capacity. I have searched the net (that’s how I found this forum :) ) and know by now that a lot of people with the SN25P has got the 7800 GTX to work perfectly with their shuttles. I also know that many people have had the same problem I have. Judging from the info on the net, the solution seems to be to connect the PCI power connector (which splits into two IDE power connectors) to two different PSU channels.

The Problem is that in my SN25P there is only 1 IDE power channel with 2 conenctors and 3 SATA power channels. I’d like to use adapters to connect the PCI power connector to two of the SATA channels. Unfortunately there seems to be no SATA to IDE power adapters.

I’d be most grateful for any information you can give to help me solve this situation.

Sure :)

Shuttle SN25P
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 939pin
2 x 1024MB Kingston PC3200 DDR CL3
LeadTek Geforce 7800GTX, 256MB DDR3, 16X PCIe
Maxtor DiamondMAX 10 300GB 7200 16MB SATAII
NEC ND-4551 DVD±RW Dual Layer, Labeflash, 16X

I get three symptoms:

1) When I boot the graphics are blue and black, which follows all the way to Windows. If I restart the machine everything looks fine and dandy.

2) I can only get 60 herz in refresh rate at 1600 x 1200 32bit (fps are 178 at 1024 x 768, 128 at 1600 x1200)

3) It has happened a couple of times that the computer won't boot at all. It just powers up at highest fan speeds and nothing happens.

I think the PSU is too weak to drive a s939 system with such a powerful video card.

There are actually plenty of people who manage it, although clearly without much of a marginal or endorsment from the cards manufacturer.

Yeah mine is running without issue

EVGA 7800GTX KO

SN25P
X2 4400+
2 Gig Patriot LL
2 Maxtor Maxline III 300 GB HD

I don't think its a "Power" issue with the shuttle as they have great power supplies, but it does seem like there is an issue with your connections. I split one of the 4-pin molex connectors with a Y-adapter just so I could have 2 molex connectors plugged into the video card (albeit off of one rail).

Also I have never seen SATA to 4-pin molex power connectors either. Are you running the Y Bios?

Thanks for answering, yup, I'm running the Y-BIOS and I'm using a Y-cable to split one of the IDE connectors on that channel, just like you. Maybe LeadTeks card is a little bit more powerhungry than the others. I have noticed that everyone witht the same card as you report no problems. In any event, I think it's very 'close' to working perfectly, I just need to get power from another rail too.

This morning the machine actually started perfectly (without the blue color), but the refresh rate is only 60 Hz at 1600 x 1200.Could you please tell me what your machine's refresh rate is at that resolution, Treyshadow (or anyone else with a 7800 GTX reading this :) )?

I have decided to ask the retailer to cut one of the SATAII power connectors and attach an IDE connector on that PSU channel instead.

Back