SN25P User's Guide

qbackin said:
is there a shuttle specific forum somewhere? I just got my sn25p and I want to see others mods/OC's etc etc.

Give the forums.sudhian.com site a visit. The "Shuttle XPC and Legacy Barebones" section is usually chock-full of SN25P users (and complainers, like me, about the latest problem with their rig!)

-hk

The guide was great. I love my SN25P, been completely stable for me so far and everything is running nice and cool.

A64 3500+
BFG 7800GT
1 GB Cheapo Mushkin PC3200 RAM
160GB Seagate 7200.9
and a Dell 2405FPW :D

Only problem is XPS Tools. I was changing settings and the program disappeared off the desktop and system tray with no trace, except taskmanager said it was running. Tried quit and restart, still showed up invisible. Uninstall, reinstall and still shows up invisible when i try to run it. How can i fix this?

I also wanted to be sure my HD was running on SATAII properly (i did not install the NVidia drivers as per the tutorial) but cannot find what protocol it's using anywhere in the device manager. I did confirm with HDTack that it seems to be running over 1.5Gb/s, but just wanted to see it in writing somewhere.

First post. Thanks again for the guide!

First of all, let me say nice guide. I've followed it the multiple time's I've been forced to reinstall Windows and have been quite satisfied.

I bought my SN25P along with all the hardware in late July, early August this year. I have:
CPU: Athlon 64 X2 4400+
RAM: 2x1GB PQI PC3200(forget the timings)
HDD: 74GB WD Raptor SATA
Video: XFX Nvidia 7800GTX
CD/DVD: NEC ND-3540A

Note: from what I can see, I'm one of the few (only?) people running Windows XP Professional x64 along with an X2 dual core processor.

Now here's the problem. Everything was peachy for a few months I'd say, I mainly use this rig for running BF2 and some HL2. It might have blue screened once or twice those first few months, but I could be wrong. Then, one day about a month ago I was trying out the AoEIII demo and I had very hard blue screen leading to a reboot. But, upon reboot, the SATA disk was detected, but no OS was detected on the drive. Now I consider myself a pretty saavy computer user, and I went through everything I knew how to from the Windows recovery console to a Knoppix boot disk, but from what I could tell the disk was essentially scrambled. I couldn't even get a 'dir' listing from the recovery console on the hard drive. So I sucked it up and reinstalled XP x64, and everything's been fine until the past few weeks.

I would come home occassionally to find the computer sitting at the login screen, meaning that it spontaneously rebooted itself at some point during the day. This started happening more frequently, then finally last night as I was about to send a message to someone with Trillian, I got another hard blue screen leading to an immediate reboot. Of course, this time, the hard drive wasn't detected and I'm pretty sure a similar situation is occuring as before.

Now, I know it's not the RAM because I just did several hours of Memtest86 without any errors, and I'm pretty sure a CPU problem wouldn't corrupt a hard drive, plus i've done some benchmarks with it before and everything seemed to be OK performance wise at least. Also, I've never had any problems show up with CHKDSK, so I don't think the harddrive is an issue either. After reading all the complaints with the bundled SATA cables, I feel it is the next culprit. I'm still using the stock cables, and i've mounted my single hard drive in the 3.5 floppy bay because I think it's a bit cooler there. I don't want to do anything else until I replace these cables (will generic ones from CompUSA or BestBuy be fine?), but would you guys say that you think this seems to be the issue?

Also, if anyone knows how to flash the bios on these Shuttles with Windows XP x64 (no 'DOS mode' and no 16-bit app execution), I would be greatly indebted. I don't fancy installling Windows XP just to update the bios, then installing XP x64 immediately after. If there is no other solution, I may do it, but it's a pain obviously. I tried to contact shuttle but never received a response. Is there a way to do it with a boot disk (cdrom) since I don't have a floppy drive? Thanks everyone

Edit: So I also would like to know if I can install all the same utilities since I have XP x64, like XPCTools and nTune and the like. Even the Envy Audio 64-bit drivers leave a lot to be desired, and I couldnt even get a working install of the AudioDeck software; all I could do was let Windows find the device driver.

maxBR: I would suggest staying away XPC Tool until it is out of beta for SN25P. I wouldn't trust something that is in beta to control the crucial components (fans) which could lead to bad bad things on failure! ;)

Regarding the SATA II and information retrieval, I do not think you can find it alone in device manager through the generic drivers. Using a third party will tell you like you have stated and I would trust the information it has provided.

Avend: Regarding your problem, just to correct you on the CPU issue, if your CPU was somehow "bad" then yes, it can corrupt your hard drive very easily. I've personally experienced this while fixing someone's pentium CPU and it corrupted any hard drive that was hooked into it on boot-up. However, the chance of a CPU failure is very rare, but the usual side effects of knowing that it is failing is when you get progressively more BSODs as time progresses.

Regarding SATA cables, the cables from CompUSA would probably work, however many people get them from NewEgg and they seem to be very good quality and at the same time inexpensive. You might go look around on there and see.

Lastly, you can create a boot disk with programs like nero which you can simply copy the files you need and run DOS straight off the CD and do the regular routined flash.

Again regarding the XPC Tools, since it is in beta for the SN25P, I wouldn't recommend using it on either platform and I think it would cause a bigger mess for the Windows 64bit platform. This is just a personal opinion but using Windows 64-bit, unless you are needing it for something specific, is generally a bad idea at this time since many drivers are immature and it just causes hassle. I would wait until Vista comes out when all companies has caught up to speed and transition into the 64-bit world. Just my thoughts :p

Ald

How to upgrade from 3200+ Venice to 4200+ dual-core?

I'm guessing it's this:

1. Uninstall AMD cpu driver.
2. Power off, replace cpu.
3. Power on, install AMD X2 cpu driver.

Can anyone verify this is all that is involved?

You might also want to upgrade to the newest BIOS if you haven't already since it fixes an USB issue with users running dual cores.

Ald

I am so glad I found this site and this info! I had just put together an SN25P and although initially all seemed fine it did not take long for matters to take a turn for the worse and the BSOD to rule my world! I was at a loss as what to do then I found this info. Following the instructions and ignoring the CD that came with my SN25P. I down-loaded all the nessesary files, on an Apple Mac it has to be said, then transfered them using a USB stick. Following the concise instructions I now seem to have a much, much happier computer!
So thanks again for this info.
Regards
Phil

I just figured I'd post as I've had my SN25P (Nforce4 Ultra chipset) for over 6 months now. I purchased it from Newegg on 5/16/05.

First I had the SATA cables fail, resulting in stability problems. I replaced them with standard cables and the problems went away. Then I upgraded from a Venice 3200+ and 1gb of G.Skill PC4400 to a X64 3800+ and 2gb of Crucial Ballistix PC4000. Ran great afterwards at 2.4ghz - and then the BSOD's came back about 4 weeks later. Turns out my Ballistix died. Got an RMA for those and I'm back up and running again. Gotta say I really like this system. It's running with 2gb of PC4000, X850 XT PE, Dual Dell 2001FP's, Pioneer DVR-109, and 2x250gb Seagate SATA-II hard drives. Hopefully this new set of Ballistix does not crap out.

I bought it originally as a summer system to cut down on the heat my P4 was generating, but now I find I don't even use that system. I can't really see myself going back to a full size system, unless something really killer comes out that draws me in. Running the X2 has posed no problems to me and it's been overclocked since day one. Not a huge overclock, but 2.0-2.4ghz on an X2 isn't that bad in a SFF. :)

Okay, have read through other threads, and other sites, and have not found any prob quite the same, but this thread looks like it may be able to help. Complete non-tech person here, so be gentle. My shuttle was running fine for first couple of weeks, bringing me much joy, but went to boot up today only to have no response to the power button. Power is going through unit, as lights go on then off when power is first connected, but absolutely zero response after that; no fans, no disk response, no splash, nada. Have tried power on/off various times, have tried CMOS clear. (Obviously have reverted to my old PC for this info/help search). Is this sounding like a return to supplier deal, or something I may be able to tweak myself? Would love some help.

So I am now up and running having followed the very helpful instructions. If I wish to add a SATA drive will I need to load a driver for it? I am using a Samsung Spinpoint 7200rpm 8Mb cache ATA133 for my main drive. And following the instructions I did not load the nVidia IDE driver as it was thought this was the cause of BSOD's, and it seems to running fine with the windows driver. But I am not sure what to do if I add a SATA drive? It has also been suggested that I get some different SATA cables than the ones supplied as they are a bit iffy! (For what it costs you would think Shuttle would supply decent cables!) I had to buy a different IDE cable as the one supplied was a little short between the two connectors.
Otherwise it seems to be performing very well, after my second attempt of installing windows that is. Boots very quickly and so far been very stable.
Phil

unixadm said:
I just figured I'd post as I've had my SN25P (Nforce4 Ultra chipset) for over 6 months now. I purchased it from Newegg on 5/16/05.

First I had the SATA cables fail, resulting in stability problems. I replaced them with standard cables and the problems went away. Then I upgraded from a Venice 3200+ and 1gb of G.Skill PC4400 to a X64 3800+ and 2gb of Crucial Ballistix PC4000. Ran great afterwards at 2.4ghz - and then the BSOD's came back about 4 weeks later. Turns out my Ballistix died. Got an RMA for those and I'm back up and running again. Gotta say I really like this system. It's running with 2gb of PC4000, X850 XT PE, Dual Dell 2001FP's, Pioneer DVR-109, and 2x250gb Seagate SATA-II hard drives. Hopefully this new set of Ballistix does not crap out.

I bought it originally as a summer system to cut down on the heat my P4 was generating, but now I find I don't even use that system. I can't really see myself going back to a full size system, unless something really killer comes out that draws me in. Running the X2 has posed no problems to me and it's been overclocked since day one. Not a huge overclock, but 2.0-2.4ghz on an X2 isn't that bad in a SFF. :)

I'm considering another shuttle also to replace my desktop...don't think I'd ever want another big ome again...

tec said:
Okay, have read through other threads, and other sites, and have not found any prob quite the same, but this thread looks like it may be able to help. Complete non-tech person here, so be gentle. My shuttle was running fine for first couple of weeks, bringing me much joy, but went to boot up today only to have no response to the power button. Power is going through unit, as lights go on then off when power is first connected, but absolutely zero response after that; no fans, no disk response, no splash, nada. Have tried power on/off various times, have tried CMOS clear. (Obviously have reverted to my old PC for this info/help search). Is this sounding like a return to supplier deal, or something I may be able to tweak myself? Would love some help.

Did you try just unpluging/repluging then try to start up ?

I beleive there is an internal MB switch and only unpluging the box may reset it...

Hi!
After screaming in rage for 3 days my brand new SN25P finally works!
The graphics card required extra current through a 6pin contact.
A cable converting from two 4-pin-molex to 6 pin was supplied.

No matter how i connected the gfx card, the shuttle wouln't start unless i choose not to connect the extra 6pin power cable. Then i could get into bios and install windows xp, but gfx-card warned it didnt get enough power and down clocked itself. *sigh*.
With power connected to the gfx-card a tiny undocumented red led on the mobo would lit, but and the fans would jerk and then settle.

Yesterday i tried to alter the fan-speed settings in bios, and she started! I just changed the fan-speed from "automatic" to "low" or any other speed and it now runs!
Isn't that weird?

I now have connected the two 4-pin molex to the gfx-card, (they come from the same line in the PSU) but i red that i should use different lines. But as you know there is only one line with molex on it. The other lines are sata. I cannot find sata -> molex power cable converter on the net anywhere. How did you solve this? Did you cut open your precious SN25P sata cables and wired them yourself? Should i do this?

Thank you all!
/T

---------------------
opteron 144
Samsung SP P120 250GB hd
2GB GSkill 3200 memory
LiteON DVD-burner
and... a LeadTek 7800 GT graphics card.
latest bios something-01y i think

Just got back from my long and extended vacation yummm... so I didn't get a chance to read some of the issues. Regarding the SATA drive, you don't need to install any sort of drivers for it. The only purpose for the nVidia IDE Driver is to get the option to enable/disable NCQ and I believe there some other options like quick write but the performance gain is very minimal, if any.

Regarding the power issue, if it is currently running with your setup, I wouldn't tweak anything else. Perhaps try to bump your fan speed from low to medium and see if it still does ok. This generation of AMD CPU tends to run very cool anyways so heat isn't a real big concern in this case.

For the unable to start problem, have you tried to change your BIOS battery?

Good Luck,

Ald

Just a bump for a nice thread. Been a builder and hobbyist for many years. This is build number 9 for me and my first Shuttle.

I may be one of the very first to build this system back in 03/05. I ordered everything from Newegg. The only issues I've ever had were the nVidia MB drivers. I would get a lot of slowdowns and BSOD's on the crappy firewall. After removing it the system it is rock solid, no cable problems like others have had either.

Now my thoughts are to replace my ageing desktop (#2) with another Shuttle.

Hoping that this guide stays current, keep up the good work !. I've referred a lot of people over here from other forumns.

I will try to keep the guide as current as possible :p The guide has been moved due to text limitations.

Ald

Aldoria said:
I will try to keep the guide as current as possible :p The guide has been moved due to text limitations.

Ald

Request: Can we get the mods to make this a sticky ?

Even the fact that it was stickied didn't help me to find it :eek: (unfortunately it doesn't solve my problem ;) ). The problem is this (which I posted in a dedicated thread, but I'll put it here too, to improve my chances that one you SN25P experts will help me :D):

Hello,

Right, so I have installed the (Leadtek) 7800 GTX into my SN25P and immediately ran into the problem of the card not getting enough power to work at 100% capacity. I have searched the net (that’s how I found this forum ) and know by now that a lot of people with the SN25P has got the 7800 GTX to work perfectly with their shuttles. I also know that many people have had the same problem I have. Judging from the info on the net, the solution seems to be to connect the PCI power connector (which splits into two IDE power connectors) to two different PSU channels.

The Problem is that in my SN25P there is only 1 IDE power channel with 2 conenctors and 3 SATA power channels. I’d like to use adapters to connect the PCI power connector to two of the SATA channels. Unfortunately there seems to be no SATA to IDE power adapters.

I’d be most grateful for any information you can give to help me solve this situation.

Additional info:

Shuttle SN25P
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 939pin
2 x 1024MB Kingston PC3200 DDR CL3
LeadTek Geforce 7800GTX, 256MB DDR3, 16X PCIe
Maxtor DiamondMAX 10 300GB 7200 16MB SATAII
NEC ND-4551 DVD±RW Dual Layer, Labeflash, 16X

I get three symptoms:

1) When I boot the graphics are blue and black, which follows all the way to Windows. If I restart the machine everything looks fine and dandy.

2) I can only get 60 herz in refresh rate at 1600 x 1200 32bit (fps are 178 at 1024 x 768, 128 at 1600 x1200)

3) It has happened a couple of times that the computer won't boot at all. It just powers up at highest fan speeds and nothing happens.

Yes I pondered over this too and couldn't find any SATA power adapters or even raw sockets to make my own. But thanks to this thread I found that people have just connected the two plugs from the one channel to the graphic card and it works fine.

My understanding this that most common/cheap PSUs don't provide enough amps on a single channel to support the 7800gtx but the one in the SN25p has a much higher rating then average so it should work fine.

thanks for replying, but I'm using the sn25p and the PSU provided and it doesn't work fine:

-----------------------------------------

Hello,

Right, so I have installed the (Leadtek) 7800 GTX into my SN25P and immediately ran into the problem of the card not getting enough power to work at 100% capacity. I have searched the net (that’s how I found this forum ) and know by now that a lot of people with the SN25P has got the 7800 GTX to work perfectly with their shuttles. I also know that many people have had the same problem I have. Judging from the info on the net, the solution seems to be to connect the PCI power connector (which splits into two IDE power connectors) to two different PSU channels.

The Problem is that in my SN25P there is only 1 IDE power channel with 2 conenctors and 3 SATA power channels. I’d like to use adapters to connect the PCI power connector to two of the SATA channels. Unfortunately there seems to be no SATA to IDE power adapters.

I’d be most grateful for any information you can give to help me solve this situation.

Additional info:

Shuttle SN25P
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 939pin
2 x 1024MB Kingston PC3200 DDR CL3
LeadTek Geforce 7800GTX, 256MB DDR3, 16X PCIe
Maxtor DiamondMAX 10 300GB 7200 16MB SATAII
NEC ND-4551 DVD±RW Dual Layer, Labeflash, 16X

I get three symptoms:

1) When I boot the graphics are blue and black, which follows all the way to Windows. If I restart the machine everything looks fine and dandy.

2) I can only get 60 herz in refresh rate at 1600 x 1200 32bit (fps are 178 at 1024 x 768, 128 at 1600 x1200)

3) It has happened a couple of times that the computer won't boot at all. It just powers up at highest fan speeds and nothing happens.

Hi Vlad,

How is your video card currently setup (power wise)? Are you using the Y-Splitter that came bundled with the card? I currently have a BFG 7800GTX OC in a SN25P and the way my system is hooked up right now is that I put the Y-Splitter on one of power output molex. I then connected my graphics card, one to one end of the Y-Splitter and the other into the molex that is coming directly out of the power supply. The spare one (the other Y-splitter molex) is then used for my DVD-RW drive. Of course the remaining SATA Power Connectors are left for my hard drives.

Also, have you tested to make sure it is not simply a defective graphics card?

*Edit: By the way, refresh rate is determined by the spec/quality of your monitor and the card itself can handle a lot higher than what the monitor can refresh at.

Good Luck,

Ald

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to answer me Aldoria. :) My power setup is like this: the outermost IDE power connector (molex) is connected to the optical drive, the other one is connected to a IDE power Y-splitter, which in turn is connected to both of the gfx card’s molex connectors (on the provided Y-cable, so in all we're talking two Y-splitters). The cable provided with the card is very short, so I can’t manage to try your setup, I could buy a longer version though, but will it really help? Since they’ll still be on the same PSU channel?

Any suggestions how I test that the card isn’t defective?

Oh, and I have a Viewsonic TFT 20.1" VP2030B, which is 8 ms, that should be able to handle more than 60hz, or?

EDIT: I checked the viewsconic homepage and found this VERY interesting info: Compatible from VGA up to 1600 x 1200 non-interlaced (max. 60Hz). So obviously my card IS running at full capacity when it finally starts.

The problem seems to be narrowed down to that my SN25P doesn't have the punch at startup to fire up the card completely, but if restarted, it makes it.

Thanks again :)

UPDATE: I bought another 4 pin Y-split today and tested your configuration Ald, sadly it didn't work. My options now seems to be to either modding one of the SATA2 power connectors to the 4 pin molex variant, or just accept the fact the I'll need to do an extra restart now an dthen to get the system to function... :(

I used the 3DMark06 to test the card. Does these values indicate that the card is working at full capacity?

3DMark Score 3881 3DMarks

SM 2.0 Score 1767 Marks

SM 3.0 Score 1734 Marks

CPU Score 946 Marks

After reading this thread and the issues with power draw, how is the prospect of using the X1900XT with the SN25P? I know it fits and at least one SN25P owner is using it but I've seen some reviews on the X1900XT and at idle, it draws the same amount as the 7800GTX but at load, it draws considerably more. I mean the power supply may be able to deal with it for a little while but would it eventually fail sooner due to being loaded the whole time?

RAY

I installed a X1900 XTX into my SN25P a couple of days ago. So far it's been working fine after a bunch of COD2 and GT Legends. I scored 5240 in 3dMark 2006 on it's first attempt.

but like I said, how about later on? Would it be a factor in the life expectancy of the PSU having to pump out the watts at pretty much full power the whole time you're gaming?

RAY

The power supply is rated to run SLI in the SN26P. I don't see many of those blowing up so I'm not worried about it. I have an X2 4800+, 2gb memory, Pioneer DVR-109 and two Seagate 250gb SATA drives installed. It powers on and runs stable.

My rig that I'm building will have 4200+, 2GB RAM, 150GB raptor, 200GB WD HD, NEC DVD, and the X1900XT. It's nice to know that I have some headroom if I decide to upgrade to a more powerful video card later on.

RAY

I read the guide but am not sure the kind or type of cable to replace the SATA cables that come in the box. Can someone clarify the length or better yet, a link in newegg as to which cable to get? Also, round or flat? Thanks

RAY

I cant get my BFG 7800GTX working, but my BFG7800GT OC works fine...

BTW i was having some problems with BOSDing, and Harddrive errors, find tracked it down to the SATA cables, Replace those asap

Ordered these only SATA II rated cables, and high shiled, with backwards compat with Sata1. Not a bad price either

Anyways main question, ANy of you guys tried to mod a reg Power Suplly to fit in the sn25p? I bought one and it looks like it would fit, but I would have to cut the back plate to line up the power plug and switch, Any other ideas 1st?

Guys, all my troubles were due to a bad DVI cable. :eek: One of the weirdest symptoms I have seen. My Leadtek 7800 GTX now works flawlessly with the SN25P. My conclusion is that the SN25P's power supply is more than adequate. :)

hi,

I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions for my newly purchased vid card.

http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=256-P2-N389-AX&family=17

My shuttle was purchased roughly 4 weeks ago and recently rebuilt a week ago using the excellent sn25p guide floating around. I was initially using an ATI x700 pro but decide to upgrade to a 6800 GS. I purchased the eVGA version from newegg and am having problems posting with the aux power connected. Without connecting the vid card the PSU, I can post fine but get warning msgs about the card not getting insufficient power. With the card connected via the splitter (6 pin to two 4 pins) which comes with vid card to a purchased Y splitter (two 4pins female to one male 4 pin) to P5 or P6, I simply cannot get the system to post from cold boot. If I power on the system and then quickly connect the vid card to the PSU then I have no problems and can post a good 3DMark05 score. Rebooting the system also is fine after the initial cold boot.

So my problem is that I cannot get my system to post from a cold boot while the vid card is connected to the PSU. One of the molex connections from the PSU is connected to my HDD (non SATA). Any suggestions on what I might try before I RMA the card.

So far, I've tried playing around with Power settings in the BIOS (Extreme PC, Noise Control - Mid, etc) as well as various configurations of the molex connectors. No luck yet.

Shuttle XPC SN25P 2.0 Y BIOS // AMD Athlon 64 3200+ // Samsung 910T // Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 900u // eVGA 6800GS // Crucial 3200 2gig // Maxtor 60GB // Pioneer DVD-ROM // VBox 3560 HDTV Tuner USB // Razor Diamondback Chameleon // Logitech Z2300 THX // Sennheiser HD 570 + Black Icemat Siberia USB // Windows XP/SP2 Nvidia 6.70 Envy Family 5.00a // 3DMark05 5310

Not sure if anyone is checking this out anymore but if you guys are out there has anyone noticed a lot of pass through from the power supply when the power cord is first plugged into the PSU on the 25P?
I have been screwing with the fans lately, primarily bacuse I can't get speedfan to adjust anything but the rear 60's and that 80mm CPU fan BB noise was driving me nuts. Whenever I plugged in the power cord about a second later enough juice went through the system to get all the fans to spin for a second and light the led's on this cheap 80mm fan I used to replace the main 80mm. I also got enough bleed through in the system for my graphic card to output a signal to my monitor, because it turned on. I have had zero problems with crashes and I just installed a fresh OS onto a new 320GB WD no problem.
Anyone else seen this, never had this much power bleed in any other system.

i will be getting a sn25p soon and was wondering if a x1900xt(x) would work in one? as in having enough juice to power everything. in my situation i will overclocking my opty 165 to 2.6ghz and be running a 250gb and 200gb hdds plus optical. i searched but wanted to confirm it with you guys. thanks.

Updated: 05-01-2006

* Updated format of the guide.
* Added new Q/A concerning ethernet issues.

The format of the guide was really broken for awhile, my apologies for not getting it fixed sooner =(

Ald

I'd like to know if the PSU can handle the X1900XT graphic card.

My rig is heavy loaded with 3 Hdds, an AMD64 X2 4800+...

That is really pushing the limit of the PSU. It is hard to say one way or the other. I am running 3 HDs with a 4400+ and a 7800GTX and the SN25P runs with no problems, but I'm not sure with a bump in CPU and graphics card, if the extra power consumption will put it over the top. Hope someone else will shed some light with that setup :p

However, benchmark of the SN26P (same PSU as the SN25P) with 2x 7800 GT's has been performed so in the end, maybe it won't be such a problem.

My setup = SN25P,AMD 3000+ 64bit, 1 gig of ram, ATI X800XL

I am experiencing choppy audio and video play. Even if I close all programs, i can't watch a video withot it being choppy, a hiccup every 30 seconds or so. I got all the drivers from the guide listed, any idea where to start troubleshooting this thing?

Back