• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

sn25p or wait for the sn26p?

Dapperdan

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 17, 2002
Messages
6,306
Im in the market for a new sff and I have been thinking of getting the sn25p, the thing is I would prefer to have SLI which means I should wait for the sn26p. The prob when it comes to SLI is that I need a min use of 2 monitors. I was hoping that the multy monitor issue would be fixed soon for SLI but that is still up in the air. What are your thoughts on this.
 
Dont count on nVidia to do much, just go with the SN25P and get a nice single card solution.

ATi has always supported multi-mon and exotic resolutions much better.
 
Since the new generation of graphics card just hit the market and the performance of 1 7800GTX is usually the same performance as 2 6800 GT's or sometimes even 2 6800 Ultras (depending on game), I wouldn't hold your breathe for the SN26P. If you even look from a cost perspective, currently, 2 6800 GT's will cost about the same or even more than 1 7800 GTX and SLi is not exactly 100% efficient and does not work in all games. And if you factor in the heat and losing 1 hard drive slot as well.

On another note, ever since the SN25P transitioned from the vanilla version of the nForce4 to the Ultra (I think back in April-May timeframe), there is even less reason to go with the SN26P since the Ultra support SATA II as well as the various features such as the firewall and whatnot (btw I've noticed is a complete piece of crap :p ). Just my thoughts.

Ald
 
Devii said:
Dont count on nVidia to do much, just go with the SN25P and get a nice single card solution.

ATi has always supported multi-mon and exotic resolutions much better.


Funny, a 9200 I was just using couldn't do 1680x1050 properly, but my old GeForce3 could.
 
Aldoria said:
On another note, ever since the SN25P transitioned from the vanilla version of the nForce4 to the Ultra (I think back in April-May timeframe...

Is this true?

I was all disappointed after reading about the 25P in a sfftech.com review because it said the 25P used the plain n force 4 chipset. If It's using the ultra now that's pretty sweet.
 
It is an ultra all on retail version that's on the market currently. At startup, it shows up as an nForce4 ultra and the word ultra is even in bold letters while the initial version doesn't have it (I can verify this since I see it on my SN25P ;) ).

Ald
 
You can also look on the mobo of your sn25p. If it's V2.0 has the NF4 ultra chipset.
 
To use Sli in SN26P You have to remove Your stock cooler from Your video cards wich is loosing Your warranty. Maybe that has to be mentioned although it is not realy thingto bother if You are a hardcore freak.




MD
 
yeah you can only buy the SN26P with the 2 6800 GT's already in it. In other words it is going to cost you a fortune because you will be guying 2 6800GT's and 2 other video cards if you want something other than the 6800 GT. I have the SN25P and it is AWESOME. I say forget about the SN26P unless shuttle starts selling them without the 6800 GT's.
 
MD said:
To use Sli in SN26P You have to remove Your stock cooler from Your video cards wich is loosing Your warranty. Maybe that has to be mentioned although it is not realy thingto bother if You are a hardcore freak.




MD

Are you sure about this? From what I have heard the SN26P is only able to work in SLI mode with 2 6800GT's because the 6800 Ultras hsf are too big. But since the 7800 uses less power and makes less heat the hsf is about the same size of a 6800GT.

To go SLI, or NOT to go SLI? That is the question that can really only be answered by YOU. The purpose of SLI is to get the next generation video card performance NOW! If you must have the absolute best then I would say go for it, but keep in mind that in about a year when new video cards come out that just one new card WILL outperform or match both of the old cards. So it's really only if 1.) You just gotta have the fastest shit on the planet (A.K.A. my d1ck is bigger than yours competition), and 2.) Money is no object to you and spending $1200 bucks on a video card solution is no big deal. I would say that if you are going to go SLI you need to do it as fast as possible to really get the full effect because once the new cards are out you no longer have the longest/biggest shlong. Also on that note it could make for a cheaper way of getting next gen performance without paying the next gen card price. I know there are probally a couple 6800 ultras selling a bit cheaper on Ebay so that the people who got to have the fastest rig can purchase 2 7800s. That is also another way to look at it.

For me I would "like" to have an SLI capable system, but I do not think that I would utilize it fully meaning I would only get one card, but I think it would be nice to have the option to move up to two cards as a possible (maybe cheaper) upgrade path. Just my .02, and almost always on my mind as I look to running a new rig as I am coming from a SN95G5 AGP to hopefully a PCI-E/SLI SFF.
 
I don't know, the 7800gtx has made it pretty clear to me that SLI is a big waste of money.

The hardware capabilities are just growing too quickly each generation, and the generations coming so quickly that SLI only seems to make sense for somebody who needs that tiny edge on performance for a tiny window in time. Even then, you better be running a very high resolution display, or all of that extra horsepower is wasted.

Go with the sn25p and put your money somewhere it'll do more for you, imho.
 
eastvillager said:
I don't know, the 7800gtx has made it pretty clear to me that SLI is a big waste of money.

The hardware capabilities are just growing too quickly each generation, and the generations coming so quickly that SLI only seems to make sense for somebody who needs that tiny edge on performance for a tiny window in time. Even then, you better be running a very high resolution display, or all of that extra horsepower is wasted.

Go with the sn25p and put your money somewhere it'll do more for you, imho.

QFT!

Dont see the generations slowing down, or lagging behind the software anytime soon ;p
 
eastvillager said:
I don't know, the 7800gtx has made it pretty clear to me that SLI is a big waste of money.

The hardware capabilities are just growing too quickly each generation, and the generations coming so quickly that SLI only seems to make sense for somebody who needs that tiny edge on performance for a tiny window in time. Even then, you better be running a very high resolution display, or all of that extra horsepower is wasted.

Go with the sn25p and put your money somewhere it'll do more for you, imho.

QFT++

-SEAL
 
I'm not currently up to date with all the different chipsets and stuff, but anyone have a clue what will follow the SN25P? Has nVidia announced anything beyond the nForce 4 Ultra or is a new one over a year away? The only reason I have not bought a SN25P yes is because I'm looking for a SFF where I can fit an HDTV tuner into for my college dorm. There are no internal PCIE 1x Tuner's out there yet, and the external tuner's cost at least $225 or so. So I'm waiting for either a tuner that will fit in the SFF, or a new SFF with a PCI slot and the nForce 4 Ultra (or better chipset). Anyone got a clue?
 
eastvillager said:
I don't know, the 7800gtx has made it pretty clear to me that SLI is a big waste of money.

The hardware capabilities are just growing too quickly each generation, and the generations coming so quickly that SLI only seems to make sense for somebody who needs that tiny edge on performance for a tiny window in time. Even then, you better be running a very high resolution display, or all of that extra horsepower is wasted.

Go with the sn25p and put your money somewhere it'll do more for you, imho.

I don't know about that. I'm going to disagree with you. SLI makes alot of sense to me, being someone who doesn't buy a video card every new generation. I had a GeForce 3 Ti 200, and then I upgraded that, with my new system, to my 9600 Pro, which I still have, and will continue to use for the next 4 or 5 monthes at least.

For me, SLI makes alot of sense. My next system will probably support SLI. Am I going to buy 2 cards and use SLI then? No. I'll get an SLI system, spend 200-300$ on a single video card then and be happy (7800/GT or whatever is the current generation in that pricerange?). Then, in maybe a year or year and a half, I can buy a mate to my one card for $150-$250 and be around the performance of the "current" generation, while have only spent $350-$550 on video cards that will last me upwards of 2 years or so.

So for me, at leasy, SLI makes alot of sense.
 
SidewinderX said:
I don't know about that. I'm going to disagree with you. SLI makes alot of sense to me, being someone who doesn't buy a video card every new generation. I had a GeForce 3 Ti 200, and then I upgraded that, with my new system, to my 9600 Pro, which I still have, and will continue to use for the next 4 or 5 monthes at least.

For me, SLI makes alot of sense. My next system will probably support SLI. Am I going to buy 2 cards and use SLI then? No. I'll get an SLI system, spend 200-300$ on a single video card then and be happy (7800/GT or whatever is the current generation in that pricerange?). Then, in maybe a year or year and a half, I can buy a mate to my one card for $150-$250 and be around the performance of the "current" generation, while have only spent $350-$550 on video cards that will last me upwards of 2 years or so.

So for me, at leasy, SLI makes alot of sense.
I agree, even though 2 6800GTs in SLI is about as powerful as a 7800GTX, that doesn't mean it is bad. that means that one could buy a 6800GT at the beginning of it's coming out, and then buy one after the next gen has come out and have basicallly the same performance.
 
You Do The Math:

Cost of upgrade to SLI (Cost of second 6800GT) = $250
(This assumes you don't need a new motherboard or PSU, or in this case a new Shuttle)

---

(Cost of a new 7800GTX) $500 - (Profit from selling your 6800GT) $250

=

(Cost of upgrade to 7800GTX) $250

---

So, Cost of upgrade to 7800GTX = Cost of upgrade to 6800GT SLI. But...

Advantages of the 7800GTX over SLI =
higher performance
new filtering options
higher compatibility (no SLI driver profile needed)
new features (WGF supported, etc)
cures 6800-series video playback / CPU ultilization design flaw
OC-ing gives you more bang per MHz gained (due to the 24-pipe architecture)
optimized for "larger-than-1600x1200" displays
lower power consumption
lower heat production
takes up less space / fits non-SLI mobos

For these reasons, IMHO, 7800GTX for the win!

-SEAL
 
Back
Top