SN25P OCing

swflbatth

Weaksauce
Just wanted to make a thread for owners of this system to post their specs and what their OC's were. I am still waiting on my new RAM before I start to OC.

3200+ @ 2.32GHz (10 x 232MHz) 1.475v
1GB OCZ Plat Rev2 @ DDR464 2.5-3-3-6 2.6v
100% stable.

2.4GHz has not been fully stable for me yet. Still testing.

I finally stopped being lazy and worked on my OC, here are my current stable results:

90nm 3200+ @ 2.48GHz (10 x 248 MHz) 1.5v
1GB OCZ Plat Rev2 @ DDR496 2.5-3-3-6 2.8v

With those timings, my memory can go way higher than it is now. However, I think the motherboard has problems with a fsb of 250 and up. I might play around a little with the multiplier and see. For now its a nice, easy overclock on stock cooling, and I am hitting a 4894 on 3dmark05. My gfx card is a Powercolor x800xl, but it is running at stock, havent bothered to overclock it yet. However, I am definitely impressed with this SFFS's overclocking ability :) .

swflbatth said:
I finally stopped being lazy and worked on my OC, here are my current stable results:

90nm 3200+ @ 2.48GHz (10 x 248 MHz) 1.5v
1GB OCZ Plat Rev2 @ DDR496 2.5-3-3-6 2.8v

With those timings, my memory can go way higher than it is now. However, I think the motherboard has problems with a fsb of 250 and up. I might play around a little with the multiplier and see. For now its a nice, easy overclock on stock cooling, and I am hitting a 2894 on 3dmark05. My gfx card is a Powercolor x800xl, but it is running at stock, havent bothered to overclock it yet. However, I am definitely impressed with this SFFS's overclocking ability :) .
you got 3200 Winnie and X800XL? i got the same combo on MSI Neo4 and i got 4700 in '05 everything is stock..... 3k seems TOO low

Wow, thats pretty nice Original. What were the rest of your settings, Voltage, HT, mem timings, stock cooling? System specs?

Try lowering the HT multi to 4x. It stops the HT getting to high - eg 250*5 = 1250Mhz - too high and could be limiting your OC.

OriginalOCer, I was hoping you would post your specs and such...was wanting to take a peek and see how I could tweak my system.

Thought I would res this thread, or try too. I followed eclipse's guide for OC'ing a 64 and got pretty good results. My venice runs at stock voltage and smart fan setting at 2.6ghz. Cpu-z shows 1.376 v and everthing runs fine. Prime 95 and riddick stable, system temps are solid. Only thing, I am running it at 2.5ghz because even though the bios settings for the ram are set at 133 they start out at166 when I check in windows. Is there a way to set ram to a certain point and not have it scale up? Not a 3dmark guy but with my x800xl I am getting 22300, which seems pretty good for as as quiet as the system is.

is there an option to select 1T memory clock (2T default) on the SN25P? i have a SN95G5 V3 (NF3 250gb) and there isnt an option to select 1T.

PoorBehavior said:
Thought I would res this thread, or try too. I followed eclipse's guide for OC'ing a 64 and got pretty good results. My venice runs at stock voltage and smart fan setting at 2.6ghz. Cpu-z shows 1.376 v and everthing runs fine. Prime 95 and riddick stable, system temps are solid. Only thing, I am running it at 2.5ghz because even though the bios settings for the ram are set at 133 they start out at166 when I check in windows. Is there a way to set ram to a certain point and not have it scale up? Not a 3dmark guy but with my x800xl I am getting 22300, which seems pretty good for as as quiet as the system is.
What you set when you set the frequency is a divider, What bus speed are you running at? Assuming you have pc3200 ram you want to set your ram divider so (200/166)*HT speed = 200 ish.

So if i set the htt to 250, so my cpu is runing at 2500, my ram is set at 133 in the bios but ends up at 166. Is there an easier way to control the ram speed? I know my ram sucks but would I get real world performance if I got something better? Stability is priority.

Try it with it set to 166, you might get errors, but i doubt it (youd be running at about 200) assuming your ram isnt really crap it should be able to manage a couple of mhz over stock.

Hiya,

I just bought my SN25P and I had some bucks to spent so I put a A64 4000 2.40GHz 1Mb Clawhammer CPU in there, and also some Kingston Hyper-X KHX3200ULK2/1G memory with timings of 2-2-2-5 and an operating voltage of 2.7V according tot the specs.

Now I suppose this can be overclocked a bit, but I have never really grasped the principals behind OC'ing, so if anyone could give me some pointers...

Main question is, are the settings mentioned in this thread for A64 3000 CPU also valid for my A64 4000 cpu? Or do I have to set things eniterely different?

It be a shame to only half use these nice components now wouldn't it? So please help me out. ;)

Thanks a bunch!

If I were you I would have learned to overclock BEFORE you buy your crap. Overclocking is for those who can't afford the highend stuff (generally) so they want to get more bang for there buck. I would also recommend you search for yourself on how to overclock. If all else fails, just start messing around with stuff :) I got my 3500+ oc'd to 2.6ghz right and it flys.

Hey Barrok, its not like I haven't done any research. I know I should be able to overclock my setup quite nicely.. If I can believe the various reviews and fora.

It is only so that I don't have much experience in OC'ing, so I thought I'd ask some people smarter then me and perhaps I'd be lucky and they would provide me with the right settings and save me some time!

Don't bite my head off plz..

Why all the hostility Barrok? It is kind of hard to learn to use something before you have it. You can read all you want but until you actually get hands on and try it for yourself you have not really learned how to do anything. I would follow the guide, get the programs that are listed, it is a really sound walkthrough.

It bugs me to death when people walk in with these "fancy" "expensive" systems and try to show em off. Then on top of that, they ask others how to overclock these bada systems. Only experienced overclockers (http://xtremesystems.org/forums/index.php) are ever going to buy the most expensive thing then try and overclock it. If you are going to overclock you should learn on cheaper equipment, but thats my personal taste :). There is no joy in taking a AMD 4000+ and making it 2.8 ghz, when you can take a AMD 3700+ and do the same thing... or take a AMD 3000+ and make it 2.8, thats real overclocking :)

So if you want a quick run down, here it is. Your chip has a multiplier of 12 (12 x 200front side buss = 2.4ghz). When you get everything setup and windows installed, reboot and hit the delete key (i believe thats it, i am at work and forgeting :)). Once you get into the bios go to the advanced settings. You should see a FSB (200) and a HT multiplyer (either Auto or 5X) The amd chips run at a 1000 fsb. You get that by timsing 200 x 5 = 1000. You generally want to keep this number around 1k, less is alright, more can cause instability. You also need to look at voltages. The new venice chips use 1.4 volts. You have to up the voltage if your computer gets unstable.

To overclock, up the FSB (from 200) start by going to 210 or so, save your settings and boot into windows. You then should download 3dmark03 and/or 3dmark05. You should also get superpi and prime95. You should also go to nvidias website and download there nvmonitoring utility to watch over your temps (maybe get speedfan also). Once you run 3dmark03 or 05 and run some super pi, and let prime 95 run for a few minutes, you can then assume you have a partially stable overclock. Keep upping the front side bus with the stock voltage until you can't boot into windows, or it gets REALLY unstable. At this point, if you can get into the bios, go in and up the voltage.... .25 or .5 depends on how unstable it is (unstable being, random reboots, things not loading, programs closing without you telling them too). Once you can boot into windows and run those things... you can keep uping your front side bus. You might also need to give your ram more volts and what not. Anyway, the end goal is to gain increased performance while still keeping stability. I would assume you could do +200 mhz on your cpu (so 2.6ghz) without changing the voltage. Anyway, watch your temps of your computer and also remember your power supply is limited at 350 watts... that has already caused problems with my video card overclock. Good luck, and don't blow anything :)

See, don't you feel better? And besides, you know if you had spent that kind of cash you would overclock whatever you bought anyway, you would not be able to help yourself. We lack the will to leave anything at stock speed.

Has anyone noticed that cpu-z shows 1.376v for stock when the bios and clockgen show 1.4v? (using a venice 3200 here) I boosted the volts from 1.4 to 1.425 in clockgen and the jump in cpu-z only went up to 1.392. What is a good way to confirm what the chip is actually getting?

Back