SMS, MMS, RCS cross platform use phone number

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Is there any decent ways to use do texting one windows 10 and android using my android phone number.

Ideally the software would keep messages backed up online and accessible should all of my devices be destroyed.
But I would settle for just a good client that would work on windows 10 and sync with android. It seems MS just cant get their act together on this front and decide what they are going to do. And for that matter neither can google, what are they up to 4 messaging services now?

I use Google Voice primarily and it works across all devices.

Third vote for Google Voice, it's been my "primary" phone number for many years now - I have actual T-Mobile service and a real actual cell phone number but I hardly ever give that carrier number out, in fact even now after having it for maybe 4+ years now only like 5 people have it (wife, one good friend, and three other family members). I give out my Google Voice number which I've had since basically the day they started offering them for any and basically all phone related purposes including the text messaging, MMS attachments, etc.

Hangouts still makes use of it and I can still send SMS stuff with Hangouts to numbers that I've had use with in the past and have the info archived but they've switched off the ability (on an Android device, at least in my experience - on a PC or whatever using Hangouts in a browser it doesn't have that limitation) of entering and sending a new SMS/MMS to a number that I don't have archived, not even ones in my Contacts. Kinda sucks, and they're pushing Android Messages pretty hard these days so I installed that and use it as required but it's tied to my damned carrier number so I'm very very careful with who I respond to with SMS/MMS messages as I'd prefer they not know the number or add that one to their Contacts.

It works for me, and many other people, so Google Voice is recommended if you can tolerate Google itself. :)

Back