SMP won't run

natermeister

Limp Gawd
So I just got done playing some games, went to fire teh SMP client back up (GPU as well) and the SMP client wouldn't launch. Tried re-installing it (know the instructions by heart) and nothing. A cmd box flashes on screen for a split second by FAH doesn't start up. Any ideas?

Yeah, I had the same problem and I did the same reinstallation stuff (in fact twice) :eek: The only difference is I don't game and I shut the WinSMP client, running on a Q6600 G0 quad and a eVGA 8800GS, water cooled, down briefly for news videos. :(

HELP :)

EDIT: The boxen is running under Win 7 RC1 x64. It has 6 GB's PC6400 RAM and a 80 GB HD.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, did you guys delete the original install folder prior to doing a reinstall? Wondering if maybe the original files got corrupted somehow, and the reinstall didn't copy over the original files like it should have. Maybe install to a different directory?

The same thing happened to me this morning too. Was the beta SMP client set to expire today? I just turned it off and now that I want to restart it....no go. (On two separate computers) Reboot doesn't help. Everything else seems to be installed ok.

tkam beat me to the post. The new drop-in replacement binary works great and didn't miss beat with the work unit it was crunching.

Ah, yes, makes sense now. Would have been nice if the client actually told you this instead of just automatically shutting off.

Just out of curiosity, did you guys delete the original install folder prior to doing a reinstall? Wondering if maybe the original files got corrupted somehow, and the reinstall didn't copy over the original files like it should have. Maybe install to a different directory?

Oh yeah, I not only deleted the install folder I deleted the registry entries also ( another 92% shot in the A hole) ;). I redownloaded a new copy of the install program to make sure I had an uncorrupted install file. (the older one) After a second unsuccessful attempt I just said frig it and the horse it rode in on :( I deleted everything again and just ran my GPU2 client

I'm gonna' give the downloading of the install file and reinstallation tonight and see if that don't cure my little situation. Today bein' the 4th of July I have other commitments :p

Sorry if I missed some expiration date, it's kinda' out of pocket for me because I know how sneaky Pande can be at times :eek:. I know they're always changing or updating clients so I try to stay on top of it. :cool:

EDIT: Thanks brother tkam for the "heads up" If I'd been eating my Cheerios I'd just set the computer clock back, finished my WU and then DLed the new client. Oh well, most of us ain't perfect and we do screw up sometimes :D

EDUTE again: After scaring the woman and children off the streets with my 4th of July fireworks (probably gave the fire department bad indigestion too) and runnin' low on matches. I decided to try and fold with the new improved WinSMP client :) I doon't new what's wrong with my boxen, but I DLed the client from the F@H page, installed it and zip a roonie the freakin' program still don't work :mad: Believin' in the ole' sayin' "it ain't never too late or too early either" I set my clock back and I'm currently crunchin' away with either the new client jobber or the old client jobber :confused: (in all honesty, as long as I'm helpin' find a freakin' cure, I could give a flying rolling donut :D or something about flyin' and donut holes :rolleyes: )

Last edited:
Yeah, (almost) every time the SMP stops working for me it's because it has expired... almost impossible to tell though, since the cmd window closes so quickly.

Back