SMP win32 error starting new WU?

kandor

Gawd
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
632
I received this error overnight after finishing a wu:

10:09:55] + Attempting to send results
[10:15:00] + Results successfully sent
[10:15:00] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[10:15:00] + Starting local stats count at 1
[10:17:06] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[10:17:06] + Attempting to get work packet
[10:17:06] - Connecting to assignment server
[10:17:07] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.64).
[10:17:07] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[10:17:07] Loaded queue successfully.
[10:17:28] + Closed connections
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] + Processing work unit
[10:17:28] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[10:17:28] Core found.
[10:17:28] Working on Unit 04 [March 24 10:17:28]
[10:17:28] + Working ...
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] *------------------------------*
[10:17:28] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[10:17:28] Version 1.74 (March 10, 2007)
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] Preparing to commence simulation
[10:17:29] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
[10:17:32] - Starting from initial work packet
[10:17:32]
[10:17:32] Project: 2610 (Run 1, Clone 326, Gen 1)
[10:17:32]
[10:17:32] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[10:17:32] Entering M.D.
[10:17:51] 2 percent)
[10:17:52] - Starting from initial work packet
[10:17:52]
[10:17:52] Project: 2610 (Run 1, Clone 326, Gen 1)
[10:17:52]
[10:17:55] Entering M.D.
[10:18:01] Rejecting checkpoint
[10:18:01] FILE_IO_ERROR
[10:18:01] Finalizing output
 
I received this error overnight after finishing a wu:

10:09:55] + Attempting to send results
[10:15:00] + Results successfully sent
[10:15:00] Thank you for your contribution to Folding@Home.
[10:15:00] + Starting local stats count at 1
[10:17:06] - Preparing to get new work unit...
[10:17:06] + Attempting to get work packet
[10:17:06] - Connecting to assignment server
[10:17:07] - Successful: assigned to (171.64.65.64).
[10:17:07] + News From Folding@Home: Welcome to Folding@Home
[10:17:07] Loaded queue successfully.
[10:17:28] + Closed connections
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] + Processing work unit
[10:17:28] Core required: FahCore_a1.exe
[10:17:28] Core found.
[10:17:28] Working on Unit 04 [March 24 10:17:28]
[10:17:28] + Working ...
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] *------------------------------*
[10:17:28] Folding@Home Gromacs SMP Core
[10:17:28] Version 1.74 (March 10, 2007)
[10:17:28]
[10:17:28] Preparing to commence simulation
[10:17:29] - Ensuring status. Please wait.
[10:17:32] - Starting from initial work packet
[10:17:32]
[10:17:32] Project: 2610 (Run 1, Clone 326, Gen 1)
[10:17:32]
[10:17:32] Assembly optimizations on if available.
[10:17:32] Entering M.D.
[10:17:51] 2 percent)
[10:17:52] - Starting from initial work packet
[10:17:52]
[10:17:52] Project: 2610 (Run 1, Clone 326, Gen 1)
[10:17:52]
[10:17:55] Entering M.D.
[10:18:01] Rejecting checkpoint
[10:18:01] FILE_IO_ERROR
[10:18:01] Finalizing output

Many threads on this already, first, did you actually read and follow the instructions?;)
 
Many threads on this already, first, did you actually read and follow the instructions?;)

You can assume I did to some point since I've got the client running etc. and finishing work units. ;) Sorry but I didn't (still don't) see this file i/o error discussed?
 
You can assume I did to some point since I've got the client running etc. and finishing work units. ;) Sorry but I didn't (still don't) see this file i/o error discussed?


didn't forget about you.......you didn't mention the OS you are using, that makes a slight difference if you use Vist or XP.

Try deleting the core for one, that is a much overlooked soulution. Make sure you network is connected all the time, as in if you pull the newwork plug that can screw it up. If using a router double check that isn't disconnecting you either.

Then the obvious, cpu temps, north bridge temps etc.

Let me know if any of that helps and don't forget to mention the OS in use.

Sorry for the delay:)


 
No worries! Basically, what I get is: the first time I restart a wu with the smp client it fails with a file I/O error. I close that and restart a second time, and it starts up fine. So as a workaround I need to start twice each time.

Hopefully it's an issue that will disappear when it's no longer a beta - not sure what the cause is, nothing you mentioned applied. Router is fine, network fine, temps fine etc.

Thanks,

Kandor
 
No worries! Basically, what I get is: the first time I restart a wu with the smp client it fails with a file I/O error. I close that and restart a second time, and it starts up fine. So as a workaround I need to start twice each time.

Hopefully it's an issue that will disappear when it's no longer a beta - not sure what the cause is, nothing you mentioned applied. Router is fine, network fine, temps fine etc.

Thanks,

Kandor


It may well be in beta, but many of us are using it with great success. Are you by chance using Vista?
 
I seem to have some strange issues with it as well.. sometimes it installs fine and chugs along merrily. Other times it takes an act of congress to make it work. Sometimes it just refuses completly. Just seems to depend on it's mood as I tried on 20 identical machines (exactly identical all Optiplexs) and had it start up and run trouble free using the exact same procedure (and the same files from my external hard drive) and had it set up trouble free on 4 of the 20. Got it working on 10 more but then removed it from all of them except the 4 (they are all folding with the standard client of course tho :) ) and those 4 aren't being installed till I am sure it is stable enough for me to put them into production
 
Back
Top