SMP & Vmware

bob

2[H]4U
Ive searched through the posts and read the FAQ/Guides already, so forgive me/correct me if I missed it...

But, why is vmware-server being used to run multiple guest-os's on a multi-core box? Im not asking why virtualization is being used, I understand how/why... Im wondering why vmware, and nothing else. I have nothing against vmware, I have it on 3 linux boxes in my home for various half-baked projects... Im wondering why, because with xen para-virtualized, Folding@Home works under it as a guest, and it seems to have better performance. Im also wondering about Linux KVM, or solaris with its "Containers" virtualization system. Im starting to get back into folding, now that I have spare boxes to run it... Quite a bit has changed in the past year or so.

Write a guide and make your case. I'm by no means married to VMWare. It's just free and that's what has been used in the guides out there.

The main reason for sticking to VMWare instead of others is due to the multi-cores support. Most will just use a single core. If you can find another VM software with multi-cores support while remaining free, it's welcome ;) bob, you may be talking about the console clients, which is fine with any VM software but we're concentrating on the SMP client, which need more than 1 core to work.

VMWare server was first used so that you could run the Linux SMP client on a Windoze system before the Windoze SMP client came out.
I wrote the VMWare guide for multiple clients as its the only way I know that makes it possible to run Linux64 OS inside a Windoze system.

Luck ............. :D

Back