SMP newb

Mr Flibble

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 21, 2008
Messages
325
I downloaded and installed the MPICH version smp client. I have it configured and it starts up only to error out within 20 sec. I only have 2 cores but the client is trying to use 4. Should I be using the DEINO version or have I just hosed the config?
 
I've had a dreadful time ever getting the windows smp clients to be remotely stable. You'd be better off installing vmware and running a ubuntu vm w/ the linux smp client. You'd get a higher ppd that way as well.


 
I downloaded and installed the MPICH version smp client. I have it configured and it starts up only to error out within 20 sec. I only have 2 cores but the client is trying to use 4. Should I be using the DEINO version or have I just hosed the config?

Need more details and if possible, a log of the smp client ;)

 
oh yeah i was gonna say that too, :D got ahead of myself with the extended ver link and forgot to mention..
 
really? whats the ppd average for linux smp?? i may invest the time to learn how to do it if its worth it. lol smp seems stable on my boxen, has been for quite some time.

On my box, I was getting 900-1200 PPD with the WinSMP client for the short time I switched over to Windows, and with the A2 units on LinSMP, I get just upward of 2000PPD. I don't see any significant difference with Ubuntu in a VM or on the bare metal.

And even with the A1 units which don't produce as well, I was still doing much better than what I got with WinSMP, though I don't remember exactly how much better.


2.png
 
I gave up on getting it to run and went back to the uni-processor client. This gives my plenty of headroom for the GPU client and BIONC on the 2nd core. I assume it doesn't work on Vista 64bit.
 
Back
Top