Smoothwall

dBTelos

[H]ard|Gawd
I kind of posted this here a month or two ago, but now I feel I narrowed my questions down to just a couple. Right now I have a extra/spare Smoothwall box online, and I didn't know a lot of what to put in (in certain text boxes, etc) while I was installing the OS itself, so I'm not really certain that it's working. I can get logged in and everything, and surf while it's on, I just want to make sure that it's doing it's job. One thing that I forget is the IP I gave the computer itself on the network (192.168.1.XX).. and I'm not sure how I would find it now or if it's necessary. So how do I make sure that it is working?

When logged on to your Smoothwall box locally, type ifconfig. This is alot like the windows ipconfig. If you can pass traffic through it, then it is probably working. If you want to, there are alot of online security scanners that you can run.

Ok, well the box appears to have the IP of 192.168.0.1, and my network is running on 192.168.1.1...so I might have made a mistake there. How would I change the IP of the computer?

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled a answer to that :) But I can't access the system over the network thru my web browser. I'll put the IP in but nothing comes up.

dBTelos said:
Ok, well the box appears to have the IP of 192.168.0.1, and my network is running on 192.168.1.1...so I might have made a mistake there. How would I change the IP of the computer?

Edit: Nevermind, I just googled a answer to that :) But I can't access the system over the network thru my web browser. I'll put the IP in but nothing comes up.

Did you type in http://192.168.1.1:81 ?

No.. I typed in "192.168.1.70" w/o the quotes, which is the IP of the Smoothwall computer.

Well does the box have the IP of 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.70?

Sounds like its not working for you at all if it works like Endian, where it should be 192.168.0.1 and then asigning out dhcp to the other PCs connected to your router(router dhcp off)/switch.

How is the smoothwall connected to the network, just like another PC with the cable/dsl model plugged into a router?

So should I put in 192.168.1.70:81? The IP of the Smoothwall computer is 192.168.1.70 now. Do I need to forward any ports on my router? I haven't.

The smoothwall web interface doesn't run on the "normal" port that most web sites run on. This means that in order to connect to the smoothy you need to tell your browser what port to try and connect on. In the smoothy case, Port 81. So, http://192.168.0.70:81 should work in your case.

J45p3r is right. Also how is the thing setup in your network? It should be Cable/DSL modem, smoothwall, switch or router. The smoothwall can do pretty much everything a router can.

Ok, I can now access Smoothwall from other computers on the network thru IE. I just need to know what test to run to make sure that smoothwall is actually doing its job.

Well it's running as a NAT router...so you're protected ...simply by the design of NAT.

Unless you intentionally went and DMZ'd a box...but you'd (hopefully) be aware if you did that.

Lots of online port scans out there, Gibsons Shields Up, Speedguide.Net, DSL Reports, etc.

Back