Smoothwall Express 3.0 Officially out

Ryan711

[H]ard|Gawd
Haven't had a chance to try it out yet, i'm currently running SWE 2 because of my slower hardware that can't handle the more "beefier" firewalls. The one thing that caught my eye was the new QOS. Will let you guys know what its like when I get around to trying it out.

Please do.
I used V1 and 2.0 when it was beta, it was great.
I'm interested to see how well QoS works too.
Also the minimum spec PC.

Thanks for the notification, I'm downloading now too. I've just recently moved to Endian from Smoothwall 2 for the QoS and better system monitoring utilities, but looks like I might be moving back soon...

Well, I had a play and wasn't too impressed. There are a number of kinda flashy things (the bandwidth and traffic monitors) that don't do very much while the rest seems far too simplified. The QoS doesn't allow you to choose by port, simply by "use" (web browsing, file transfer etc.) so those of you hoping to QoS your bittorrent traffic to a lower priority are out of luck. The proxy is another example, with so few options it's almost not worth enabling.

It's been a long wait for not very much, to be honest. I was really hoping for Smoothwall to jump from the consumer appliance it is now to something around Endian's level, however what we have now from Smoothwall is essentially a reskin to anyone but a developer of modifications who has found that everything has moved...

Back