Smoothwall Express 2.0 or IPCOP?

Smoothwall Express 2.0 or IPCop?

• Total voters

ThreeDee

[H]F Junkie
just wondering what the general conscesus(sp?) is here .. I have been an avid user of Smoothwall for a couple years now , and just recently started playing with IPCOP at home. There are mods and features for both that I like ..some are the same , some are different. I am still learning the ins-and outs of IPCop , so can't give a totally fair comparison as of right now between the two..

Being used to Smoothwall and all its mods and its community ..I of course favor it right now. But the more I play with IPCop , the more I am liking it too.

I like the advproxy, urlfilter add-ons as well as Dansguardian for content filtering .. so that is why I am running with these particular linux firewall distros , because it had that option ..as opposed to something that was just strictly a firewall.

pick what you prefere ...and tell us why

:)

I have been using Endian for a couple months now and I like it better than any other *nix firewall distro I have tried.

IPCop with the Copfilter add-on
or
Endian <===preferred

IMO, having the transparent proxy features of the Copfilter add-on, or what's built into Endian, are the only reasons I'd run a linux router. Without those features...I'd just stick with any old decent NAT router.

hmm ...endian eh? ..I have never heard of it ,I will definately be checking it out tho

[F]old|[H]ard

i like m0n0 wall a lot, its very stable and very powerful, and can run on embedded platforms, i do not like smoothwall at all the developers are a bunch of assholes

FLECOM said:
i like m0n0 wall a lot, its very stable and very powerful, and can run on embedded platforms, i do not like smoothwall at all the developers are a bunch of assholes

QFT!

FLECOM said:
i like m0n0 wall a lot, its very stable and very powerful, and can run on embedded platforms, i do not like smoothwall at all the developers are a bunch of a**holes
really? ..how so? I have never dealt with the devolopers , only the guys that write mods and/or convert other apps over for Smoothwall like Bohica, NetWhiz , kevh100, MALEADt, steve_mcneill ..etc ..and they have all been very helpful to this noob.

Does m0n0wall have any add-ons that do url/content filtering? I didnt see anything of the sort briefly looking at their home page.

ThreeDee said:
hmm ...endian eh? ..I have never heard of it ,I will definately be checking it out tho
rd

I first heard of it here about a year ago....I tried a few other linux routers..pfense, IPCop, stuck with IPCop for a bit and added the Copfilter add-on...then tried Endian. It's basically a much more polished, matured version of IPCop WITH the Copfilter add-on. Very professional looking interface, rock stable. Been praising it here..a few others have tried it and stuck with it too. :cool:

Anti-virus, anti-threat, and anti-spam scanning at the gateway! Added layer of protection for your whole network. It's Unified Threat Management at the affordable level.

YeOldeStonecat said:
I first heard of it here about a year ago....I tried a few other linux routers..pfense, IPCop, stuck with IPCop for a bit and added the Copfilter add-on...then tried Endian. It's basically a much more polished, matured version of IPCop WITH the Copfilter add-on. Very professional looking interface, rock stable. Been praising it here..a few others have tried it and stuck with it too. :cool:

Anti-virus, anti-threat, and anti-spam scanning at the gateway! Added layer of protection for your whole network. It's Unified Threat Management at the affordable level.
Thanks for the info/input ..I'll be setting Endian up on my home little P4 box that I have IPCop installed on right now in the next couple days.

I am sure i am bias, but i have been using IPCOP for a couple years off and one and it is rock solid, i have not played with the others.

I'm liking Endian so far ...easy setup and everything is there on initial setup not requiring any addons (for my needs anyways)

..but thats one thing I enjoyed about Smoothwall was adding by hand all the mods I wanted to use.. kinda like if you compare setting up Gentoo to setting up Ubuntu.

[F]old|[H]ard

I prefer pfSense, a fork of m0n0 using FreeBSD 6 and OpenBSD's PF, and much more feature rich. It's been every bit as impressive as the Cisco PIX 501 I previously used. I like them because I run them embedded on a compact flash card to reduce power consumption and increase reliability, not many of the Linux based firewalls have that option.

ThreeDee said:
I'm liking Endian so far ...easy setup and everything is there on initial setup not requiring any addons (for my needs anyways)

It is very polished looking isn't it? Nice professional looking package. I didn't compare it ot the performance of my IPCop or PFSense box...but someone here said they found it faster.

They have some "purchase" units for businesses...apparently you can join up as a reseller....thinking about doing so.

I'll be setting up an endian box for my boss to play with at work .. the pop3 spamfiltering is going to be the big plus as we get thousands of spammed emails a week at least .

I like the polished look better than SW's or IPCop's. Being able to setup your interfaces via the web gui makes things alot easier if your changing out a bad nic or for whatever other reason you can think of.

Some things I would like to see in Endian that I haven't yet regarding Dansguardian is the ability to setup multiple groups that have different filtering needs via the gui (can prolly do it by hand within the DG config files).. and a DG bypass script of somekind so the heirechy here at work can get by any filtering if they need to ...

By default with SW and IPCop , after initial installation I could go anywhere and do anything over the net ..with Endian , I have to setup up specific rules to get into anything outside of the basics like ports 80,53,110 ..etc , ie gaming on Steam I had to open up ports to get connected ... I like that....and I think that's how it should be ..more work, but more control.

..to keep this all in perspective , this micro-review/comparison is coming from a linux/networking noob ..so be gentle.

Back