Smoothwall and Active Directory

centurion

Limp Gawd
I've been looking at configuring ADS on my server running 2008 R2 and I was looking for some advice on properly configuring it at my smoothwall to work properly. The information I've been finding so far on Google University has been old and doesn't seem to match up to SmoothWall Express.

Anyone able to drop some knowledge on me? Pretty please?

I'm...confused. Are you asking how to pass ADS traffic? What ports and such you need to open? Or are you asking how to configure DNS for AD integration?

Last edited:
Have you checked on the Smoothwall forum? They have some very knowledgeable people over there.

I'm...confused. Are you asking how to pass ADS traffic? What ports and such you need to open? Or are you asking how to configure DNS for AD integration?

Sorry I didn't specify more. I meant the latter, how to make sure the two play nice with the necessary DNS configurations. The last time I configured a domain controller was... lets see... about 8 years ago in my Win 2k Admin class. It has definitely been awhile.

I've been wanting to configure AD at home for a couple reasons, 1) to have a more unified system for account management and resource sharing across my 3 desktops, two laptops (MacBook Pro's), xtreamer and other various wireless devices, 2) by tackling #1 I'd get to school myself a bit and hopefully be more useful :)

Though back to the point, yeah, I wasn't sure how I should configure things to ensure the two work together. When I was looking over how to configure AD, I saw that there is an option not to install a DNS and I wasn't sure if there was a way to continue to use SmoothWall or if it would be necessary (or better) to let Server do that job.

Have you checked on the Smoothwall forum? They have some very knowledgeable people over there.

I had done some looking over there and most of the info I was finding was fairly old (a few from '08, the rest after that no later than '06).

Back