Smoking Motherboard (literally :( )

cinohpa

Limp Gawd
So, I just tried to boot up my new rig on an evga x58 mobo.

The first couple of times I pressed the power button, nothing happened.

Then I pressed it again and it looked like it was running fine until I got this horrible smell. I looked inside and it was smoking!

The smoking was coming from over by the ram (far from the video card, processor, psu, and everything else) so I thought it might be one of my sticks smoking. I took out the two that were warm and left one in just so that if it was the ram, it would boot.

I turned it on once more and smoke started shooting out again and I could clearly see it was coming from an inconspicuous part of the mobo.

I'm guessing I just need to use my warranty and return it. . . but has this ever happened to any of you?

UPDATE: I contacted newegg and got my RMA. Unmounting my board I noticed that something like an explosion occurred on it around the ram modules. There is actually a crater on the back of my case. Do you think newegg will take it? It's not my fault the board was destined to explode. . . .
Everything else did look like it was running fine. All the fans were on and same with the gpu.

I'm just hoping I didn't just fry everything on the board. Do you guys think the other parts are OK? Do I just need to wait until a new mobo comes to see if everything else if fine?

Everything is from newegg. Should I contact evga or newegg?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'd say you are taking the right steps already. Contacting Newegg will not hurt as their CSR's have always been a pleasure to deal with. If you politely request it, they should send you a free shipping label for a RMA replacement of the board. That way the only thing you are at a loss for is time (which sucks when you are anticipating a new build).

After you get the new board, if you still have issues, it will be easier to diagnose what else was fried.

Yes, call, do not email newegg for the RMA. Be nice and more often than not they'll offer a free shipping label. If you email you'll just get the automated system and need to pay return shipping yourself.

Alright, I got an RMA. Do you guys think newegg will honor the return with the update I put in?

Absolutely, just have to wait for the new one and hope nothing else was damaged in the process. Also if I understand your description correctly, you say your case/motherboard tray was actually dented by this, indicating an actual explosion? I mean, I would have expected just black residue / markings consistent with a flash or burn.

the craters from it melting on the back side.. must of been a short inside motherboard or it was some how barely touching the back of the case..

Back