• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

smoked lexan build

stevedave

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Mar 6, 2007
Messages
5,737
I am going to build a new computer made out of Lexan and I want Smoked Lexan but only a few people have smoked lexan and they are chargeing an assload for it.

So I was wondering what would be the best way to turn clear lexan into smoked lexan or give it a dark cloudy look.

My build is going to small the size of the Mobo and it going to have the PS, Hard drive, and slim dvd burner behind the mobo so you can't see them. All you will be able to see is the motherboard and some white led fans.

But first I need idea's on how to smoke my lexan.
 
Get some black RIT die. It's used for fabrics. Get about 4 packages of it (you want a double concentration) and mix up a batch.

Using a plastic bucket from Home depot, mix it all up with distilled water (tap water imparts impurities into the dying process) and SKIP the salt. You don't want salt when dying plastic!

leave it for 1-2 days, checking every so often. I did this to dye the side panel of my Masstige window, but I screwed it up by adding heat too fast (it warped). Just leave it somewhere warm (read: about 78f +). It went to a dark grey in about 29 hours.

This dye WILL dye ANYTHING it touches. Rock, clothing, carpet, wood, vinyl, even metal if left long enough! Be fucking careful.
 
I tried that on the window first... It really came out uneven :eek:

It's better on glass, as you can warm the spray to make it come out more even.

That sucks, the last owner of my dodge stealth did it and it isn't too bad.
 
wow Rit Dye looks like a cheap solution. I'll have to use something bigger than bucket because I'm going to have 2 12" by 12" and 4 9 1/2" by 12" sheets I think I'll use a big tubaware or something of the sort.

can the sheets touch each other while sitting in the dye or do they have to be separated, because I don't want to do them one buy one that would take like 2 weeks I'd like to do them all at once.

O yeah and thanks for the suggestion.
.
 
I bet, so long as theres a little liquid between each sheet, they can share a bucket. You just don't want 2 flat sheets making a seal and having a clear spot in the middle.
 
wow Rit Dye looks like a cheap solution. I'll have to use something bigger than bucket because I'm going to have 2 12" by 12" and 4 9 1/2" by 12" sheets I think I'll use a big tubaware or something of the sort.

can the sheets touch each other while sitting in the dye or do they have to be separated, because I don't want to do them one buy one that would take like 2 weeks I'd like to do them all at once.

O yeah and thanks for the suggestion.
.

They have to be exposed to fresh liquid. Cover them and do them 1 at a time, outside.

Sorry :eek:
 
Back
Top