• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Smoke comming from case is bad right?

iamjero

n00b
Joined
Apr 8, 2004
Messages
28
I had just turned up my Vcore to 1.9 and upped the FSB to 215. I was paying close attention to the temps and I never went over 57C, but something poped in my case, it shut down, and smoked.

I am using a cheap power supply so I am guessing (hoping and praying) that I just blew my PSU.

How do I find out what blew? I dont want to buy a new PSU and find out that wasnt the problem.
 
smells burnt I guess. Can I tell by opening up the PSU and looking on the inside?

Like I said the CPU temp never went above 57. What else could it be?
 
I guess it smells burnt. It is really hot to the touch.

Is this what happens when you try to OC with a generic PSU?
 
Open the case and look for burned/damaged parts on the MB?

If something popped, it was most likely a capacitor. Look around the CPU socket, and in the PSU.
(In case you don't know, the caps are the cylindrical things with two soldered legs. Look for ones that are missing or bursted.)
 
Originally posted by TheDeadlyCheese
best thread title ever

2nd that

only thing that could top that would be "the computer im typing this post on is smoking, what should i do?"

try swapping with a friends psu would be a cheap way to check.
 
Well, the mobo looks fine. All the capacitors look normal. I opened up the PSU and there is a blown fuse but its soldered to the board.
 
Just say no to smoke!

Time to tke out the old trusty volt meter and fiddle about!
Good luck:D
 
Ouch, that does not sound good at all. Maybe the "pop" was your CPU cracking?
 
I didnt think it was my CPU. the temps never got out of hand. and I dont think Vcore 1.9 will fry the chip
 
Take a fork and lick one end, then forcefully prod around inside the psu with it. If that doesnt work, try putting one hand on the PSU and stick the fork in a wall outlet with another.
 
Take a fork and lick one end, then forcefully prod around inside the psu with it. If that doesnt work, try putting one hand on the PSU and stick the fork in a wall outlet with another.

THAT'S JUST WRONG:eek: Fun but wrong!
 
Originally posted by TheDeadlyCheese
Take a fork and lick one end, then forcefully prod around inside the psu with it. If that doesnt work, try putting one hand on the PSU and stick the fork in a wall outlet with another.


Performed on a closed course by a professional risk taker.
 
Just throw out the psu and get a new one. There's a good chance, it was just the psu fuse. Don't bother trying to replace it.

I once tried to replace a fuse in a power supply and I managed to blow three more before I just chucked it.
 
well looks like u got lucky :)

if you need a PSU fast, go to your local computer store and try to pickup a good brand name PSU. 400watts should be plenty for ANY setup. If you can wait a few days, hitup www.newegg.com to save a few bucks.

gl man
 
I hope your right. I am going to take the mobo off and see if I can find anything on that side of the board. Since I am strapped for cash I will have to do some research to find the best price, but I am considering antec SL450, but I havent done much shopping.
 
I noticed the voltage readings I was getting were sometimes .5 to .7 volts off from where they should be. Was that a sign that the power supply was either not capable of providing that much power or just plain crapping out?
 
Originally posted by TheDeadlyCheese
best thread title ever

Hahaha. I agree.
Hopefully itself was the only thing your PSU took with it, this happend to a buddy of mine and Hes pretty sure it took his mobo with it to Computer Heaven. Looks like its time for you to invest in all things Antec;)
 
Didn't anyone tell you that computers run on smoke? See, if you let the smoke out, it doesn't work anymore....
 
Computers stop working when you let the magic smoke out :|.

Replace PSU, sounds like that's all it was. Hopefully it didn't take anything with it.

Erik
 
Yea... sounds like you were drawing too much power.

Lucky. When a PSU goes, it tends to take out parts. I think you just used one of your "9 lives". :)

Good luck!

-Skystalker
 
I agree with prior statements. A popping noise from your PSU is most likely more than just a blown fuse. If you are very lucky, you will just need a new PSU. Invest in one of the better brands: Antec, Enermax, Fortron, PC Power & Cooling, etc. I say repeatedly: the power supply is the one part in your computer where you cannot afford to economize. If your PSU dies badly, it can kill every other part in the box. Best of luck to you this time, but remember you have been warned. Buy a quality PSU.
 
Originally posted by The Bryophyte
Just throw out the psu and get a new one. There's a good chance, it was just the psu fuse. Don't bother trying to replace it.

I once tried to replace a fuse in a power supply and I managed to blow three more before I just chucked it.

A blown fuse wouldn't smoke. Something else is wrong.
 
Originally posted by NleahciM
A blown fuse wouldn't smoke. Something else is wrong.

I second that. I have had some psu's overheat though, and smoke a bit. Smells like burning plastic.
 
I took the mobo off and examined and smelled it thoroughly and couldnt find any sign of damage. The chip and surrounding areas also look and smell fine. Same thing for the video card.

The smoke comming from the case really worries me. Something else had to have burnt up to produce the smoke that came from the blowhole.

Oh well, I guess we will just have to wait and see. Now I know, hopefully it will not end up being an expensive lesson.

Would it be out of the question to go to a lil mom and pop and see if theyll test my stuff?
 
Sorry about your problem. Don't go to a computer store to fix your problem. I called up one once and they wanted to charge $35 per half-hour or something crazy like that. That Antec SL450 power supply should be fine. It definitely sounds like the power supply is toast and that's where the smoke came from!

For future reference, never skimp on the power supply or the RAM, you will be glad you did! Good Luck.
 
unless their prices are crazy, go to a local store. 15-25 dollars is fair to COMPLETELY test a psu. If they just wanna fire it up 15 is fair.

Generally theres a few stores in any given area, if one has high prices simply go somehwhere else. They can be very valuable. Esp when you get to know the people. While you're there check their prices. Some local stores have very good prices. And some dont. So shop around. Its not like all of them charge an arm and a leg, and its not like they all are shadey.
 
Generally when power supplies go south they don't go alone. Sorry for you and good luck.

Also, the airflow of a PSU wouldn't really allow for smoke to exit the PSU and then get out the blowhole, it should be blown out the back of the PSU...
 
Ive had reverse luck phoenix. I use the whatever psu comes with the case, and ive never had a psu die and take something else with it. I must be lucky :)

I i did plug in a cd-rom once while the psu was on, i didnt hear it though. fried em both.
 
Consider yourself blessed. Very few times have I read about a blown PSU that didn't at least take a mobo or a drive with it. I have yet to see it myself, all 8-9 blow PSUs I have seen took something else with 'em.
 
I've had a PSU blown that took an 80gig HD with it, wasn't my PC but my uncles, now he has an Antec instead of some generic.
Make sure you check every part to make sure that they aren't dead.
 
Originally posted by Spearboy
2nd that

only thing that could top that would be "the computer im typing this post on is smoking, what should i do?"

Hahaha...awesome.
 
I'v had a harddrive go up smoking before, I think it was because I had an ISA IDE card and was using both it's and motherboard primary channel for different drives. I had expected the card to act as additional channels but apparently it just was going to take control of the mainboard channel (486 or 686 something)
 
Back
Top