• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

smelly PC

PhAtTiM89

n00b
Joined
Jan 4, 2005
Messages
24
My PC recent started giving off a foul odor every time it is turned on. It smells like something is burning. I have opened up the case and cleaned up the fans of the GPU and CPU, but the smell continues. According to a program that came with my mobo, the CPU is at 47C and the system is at 27C (just in windows, without running games). That is not too hot right?
I think I either might need to get more cooling (I only have 2 x 120 mm fans) or remove the heatsink/fan on the GPU/CPU and see if there is any dust underneath.
What do you suggest?
 
I just borrowed my friend's PC and just noticed a smell today. Like that dreaded burned PC parts smell. It didn't smell when it was at my friend's house up until now. The computer works fine though. Dunno where the smell is coming from.
So yea, same situation as you.
Maybe I should return it before something breaks and I get blamed for it. LOL.
 
I've noticed the faint smell of ozone eminating from my computer before. Unless it is a really putrid odor, I doubt it is anything to worry about. Running electricity across aluminum interconnects will speed up oxidation I'm sure, though aluminum is fairly resistant to that, I know that it does oxidize into aluminum oxide (which btw is the 2nd hardest material in the world I believe), so maybe what we smell is that process going on. Does copper oxidation give off any odor? Btw, I think the 2nd sentence of this post was the worst I've ever written. Run-ons galore lol. So yeah, my PSU smells too (bottom line). If it is a strong odor I would turn it off tho lol. I've smelled that before too, and that occured when water dripped onto my X800XL from my cpu water block :(
 
I noticed a smell coming from my computer one time. I shut it off and upon further inspection I found that the fans on the PSU had quit turning.
 
I noticed a smell kinda like bacon burning inside of my computer, and thats what it was i was eating a BLT and a piece fell off my sansdwich and was heating up on the mobo, i took it out of the pc and put it on my sandwich and man was it crispy.
 
yeah, same here, every now and then, my PC gives off an odor that smells like a match was lit and dunked in a bucket of water.
 
Hmmm...strange.
My PSU is a crappy generic RaidMax 420W. That could be the problem.
I suspect it may be my 6800 GT because the problem gets much worse after using 3D applications or playing games.
 
Ice Czar said:
like playing Russian Roulette ehh?

:p


Lmfao silly russians... I'm playing it too though, generic fry's POS PSU :( I'm getting a bluestorm ASAP so I don't kill my rig :D
 
My PSU is a crappy generic RaidMax 420W. That could be the problem.
I suspect it may be my 6800 GT because the problem gets much worse after using 3D applications or playing games


Using 3d progs especially with a cheap psu, is gonna make that motha fry.
 
HAH i used that PSU... it was fine until it died... and then died again... and again... :D

grabbed a blue storm cause i was sick of tempting fate :D

burning smells are definetly bad... never had one from my computer... id check the caps on your mobo and stuff 0_0 ive had my monitor screw up on me a number of times though... works like a charm though :D
 
my pc used to make my room smell when i would push the cpu at 1.6v, smell was probably the voltage regulator on the mobo cooking, the voltage reg would burn you even with the otes shroud and plenty of air flow(calculated heat output to be somewhere around the lines of 160W for the cpu alone, imagine the power consumption, poor, poor mosfets/capacitors, that cpu was that mobos end :( )
 
Check the capacitors on your Motherboard. If you see any brownish residue around them
that may be the source of your funky smell.
 
meh, consider yourself lucky for only having a burning smell...

I've once had a video card spontaniously combust on me, funny thing is that it didn't have near as much of a burning smell during the whole process as just something that is constantly on the verge of burning.
 
My PC used to give off a smell like permanent markers. I don't know why it stopped, but I'm not complaining.
 
my PC strated to smell like something was burning when i put in my 6800Gt and one day later my generac 400w PSU was dead.

so i bought a 600w enermax noistaker :D now all it fine.
 
lol 6800 consumed too much power eh? :p my 6800 , water pump, and hdds bring my 18 amp 12v rail(i got two) down to 12.03v when its 12.40v stock, thats more of a power drop then my cpu does on the other rail, and it consumes about 180 watts probably :eek:
 
Back
Top