SMB VoIP phone recommendations FreePBX, SipXecs

DialUp over SIP is iffy at best in my experience. Better to have a single line POTS nline for multiple devices or convert to Ethernet. When I supported POS systems, the conversion to Ethernet CC processing was a godsend!

I can't think of a good reason to move alarms and credit cards to a PBX. As said, if you can't move them to Ethernet, just leave it as a legacy POTS appendage. When they are ready to go all Ethernet, you can set it up in parallel and just switch over. If you just want something to do, replace the phone line with CAT5e or better (if not already) and terminate it to your patch panel (labeled accordingly). When they are ready for Ethernet, you'll just need to re-patch and maybe swap jacks.

For me, it very much depends on the client and their infrastructure. If they have ANY sort of virtualized infrastructure, then I typically make it a VM (as they'll have backup wrapped up as well). Otherwise as good cooper said, a little dualcore Atom box is enough for up to 40-50 concurrent ulaw calls or 10ish 729 calls from my testing. I've used Supermicro's 1u half-depth Atom chassis' a number of times with either a small SSD or for a small system an industrial 8GB CF card. In my experience, it's more about the NIC and the backup/restore scenarios.

Incidently, I'm just finishing up a virtualized 3CX system for a 25user client with a Patton single PRI gateway and Yealink T26's. It was crazy, a virtual PRI from Comcast was $300 less than their previous 14 POTS line contract from AT&T. So far it's been bulletproof.

how are you liking the Patton? i need to interface 1 or maybe 2 PRIs (it'd be nice if it was expandable) and i was looking at just putting a sangoma card in, but now i've been looking at Zorcom's USB channelbanks which look real nice....

a network gateway may be an even better option

these will interface with time warner cable's PRI, which i guess is a "virtual?" i don't really know that much about PRIs or what i should be getting, echo canceling, crap like that...

DialUp over SIP is iffy at best in my experience. Better to have a single line POTS nline for multiple devices or convert to Ethernet. When I supported POS systems, the conversion to Ethernet CC processing was a godsend!

We have a fax over ip stinksys box my boss bought and its utter crap.

Incidently, I'm just finishing up a virtualized 3CX system for a 25user client with a Patton single PRI gateway and Yealink T26's. It was crazy, a virtual PRI from Comcast was $300 less than their previous 14 POTS line contract from AT&T. So far it's been bulletproof.

I'm glad you said this. We record calls for call centers using NICE software. We've been wanting to get into the maket of selling PBX's right along with it. Supply a PBX and recording solution all in one. 3CX has been the only PBX I've seen thats windows based. I've played around with it in our lab, for a little but I want to dive deeper. I'm glad you've seen good results.

It, most definitely, has its limitations, compared to Asterisk (lack of custom routing scripts/AGI). But also a few benefits as well Queues are MUCH more fleshed out. The best part is the integrated provisioning tool. It took me a bit to wrap my head around WHY they took the route they did in building the tools, but it's been good so far. Even in VM.

how are you liking the Patton? i need to interface 1 or maybe 2 PRIs (it'd be nice if it was expandable) and i was looking at just putting a sangoma card in, but now i've been looking at Zorcom's USB channelbanks which look real nice....

a network gateway may be an even better option

these will interface with time warner cable's PRI, which i guess is a "virtual?" i don't really know that much about PRIs or what i should be getting, echo canceling, crap like that...

I've done both the Xorcom (Asterisk Only, IIRC) and now the Patton PRI. The Xorcom was nifty and presented itself easily to Asterisk as they got their base driver baked in. The Patton wasn't quite as plug/play with 3CX as advertised, but I can duplicate my configs now. It's been flawless.

As for the PRI, Comcast installed a second Cable Modem, and an Adtran SIP-to-PRI box which gets piped right into the Patton PRI-to-SIP Gateway. I think it's hilarious that we're converting back and forth from and to SIP. And then this install as a Voip.ms multichannel backup SIP Connection as well. I'm working on Getting Verizon LTE as a backup internet connection to cover all bases. Anyone have a contact or a good contact or solution for Business-Grade LTE?

I've done both the Xorcom (Asterisk Only, IIRC) and now the Patton PRI. The Xorcom was nifty and presented itself easily to Asterisk as they got their base driver baked in. The Patton wasn't quite as plug/play with 3CX as advertised, but I can duplicate my configs now. It's been flawless.

As for the PRI, Comcast installed a second Cable Modem, and an Adtran SIP-to-PRI box which gets piped right into the Patton PRI-to-SIP Gateway. I think it's hilarious that we're converting back and forth from and to SIP. And then this install as a Voip.ms multichannel backup SIP Connection as well. I'm working on Getting Verizon LTE as a backup internet connection to cover all bases. Anyone have a contact or a good contact or solution for Business-Grade LTE?

i was about to say.....

does the cable company not just offer SIP trunks as is? bring it in on a dedicated connection? would save me a bunch of money buying interface gear...

i was about to say.....

does the cable company not just offer SIP trunks as is? bring it in on a dedicated connection? would save me a bunch of money buying interface gear...

I know Cox does; I'd be surprised if Comcast didn't.

i was about to say.....

They do, but Comcast has only recently released their SIP product, and hasn't qualified it for sale with many software PBX's yet. And they provided all the hardware other than the Patton gateway.

'Sales Engineer'... is that an oxymoron?

I say that all the time. It upsets me that the sales people dont know their product inside and out that they need an Engineer to do technical things for them.

All through college I worked at the contractor desk at both Home Depot and Lowes. I was the sales person, and the sales engineer. Lots of people like to sell these jobs short, but I assure you that you had to know your shit about not only your product, but also how to design stuff.

Had a customer come in once and needed a 20x60ft deck designed and to purchase it there on the spot. Our "software" only designs decks up to 50ft. I had to design that shit on a peice of paper and do all the materials lists. And no.... doing a 20x50 and a 20x10 deck is not the same thing. I had to do take offs for houses/additions. I kept a good relationship with my vendors, and kept up to date on their products. I then had to recommend the correct products that suited my customers needs best.

I'm sorry, but I feel a sales person should always know their product enough to be able to do something similar. I can do our sales peoples jobs. Granted probably not as well, but I could do it. They couldnt even pretend to do my job.

/rant.... you hit a sore spot lol.

I say that all the time. It upsets me that the sales people dont know their product inside and out that they need an Engineer to do technical things for them.

All through college I worked at the contractor desk at both Home Depot and Lowes. I was the sales person, and the sales engineer. Lots of people like to sell these jobs short, but I assure you that you had to know your shit about not only your product, but also how to design stuff.

Had a customer come in once and needed a 20x60ft deck designed and to purchase it there on the spot. Our "software" only designs decks up to 50ft. I had to design that shit on a peice of paper and do all the materials lists. And no.... doing a 20x50 and a 20x10 deck is not the same thing. I had to do take offs for houses/additions. I kept a good relationship with my vendors, and kept up to date on their products. I then had to recommend the correct products that suited my customers needs best.

I'm sorry, but I feel a sales person should always know their product enough to be able to do something similar. I can do our sales peoples jobs. Granted probably not as well, but I could do it. They couldnt even pretend to do my job.

/rant.... you hit a sore spot lol.

100% agreed. I'm sick of knowing more about a company's products than their own sales people, and them not listening when I let them know what my needs are. I'm professional enough to not waste their time, how about returning the favor?

To bring it somewhat back on topic, anyone else excited about the extension to the Polycom VVX line? With that kind of feature set and those prices- Yeah, I'm pretty excited.

At the upper end of the product line the sales engineers tend to be good.... We're dealing with enterprise grade stuff with SLA's and whatnot

100% agreed. I'm sick of knowing more about a company's products than their own sales people, and them not listening when I let them know what my needs are. I'm professional enough to not waste their time, how about returning the favor?

Sounds like every time I go to look at a car for me or with someone. It's frustrating as hell to see salesweasels that can't keep track of specs for only 9 products.

Back